Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 12:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Volvo Cars app shows:
Start your car and make sure it's located somewhere with internet connection.
It also says
Car location unknown.
How does this happen? The car has been accessible via the app but suddenly it is not. Somehow it is no longer online. The car has been sitting in my driveway, in the open, for a several days. I occasionally drive it somewhere and back. This offline status has occurred a couple of ties now. This makes remote start a bit of a problem!

The car is listed when I click on "Connected vehicles."

Last edited by bertilak; 01-01-2024 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2024, 01:28 PM
Received 600 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by bertilak
My Volvo Cars app shows:
Start your car and make sure it's located somewhere with internet connection.
"
My 2023 xc60 is doing that also - battery went dead 5 months ago after sitting 3 days, towed in, new free battery. New battery went dead 1 month ago after sitting 48 hours - recharged battery at home and have been getting "Vehicle is offline" since. Also after unlocking but before starting sometimes get message in middle of dash "Battery save mode For full functionality start vehicle". If that message is there - the nav system takes a while to figure out where I am.

I'm guessing when I take it back to Volvo - they will put in another battery.

Old 01-01-2024, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
My 2023 xc60 is doing that also - battery went dead 5 months ago after sitting 3 days, towed in, new free battery. New battery went dead 1 month ago after sitting 48 hours - recharged battery at home and have been getting "Vehicle is offline" since. Also after unlocking but before starting sometimes get message in middle of dash "Battery save mode For full functionality start vehicle". If that message is there - the nav system takes a while to figure out where I am.

I'm guessing when I take it back to Volvo - they will put in another battery.
I don't think it can be the same problem. Perhaps something related or similar.

If I get into the car and start it there, it starts no problem. The app came back after driving it only about 100 feet, basically out of the driveway. I don't know if it was the time or the distance that did the trick.

I say the app came back, but it took about 4-5 minutes before location and remote start were working.

My working theory is that the modem loses it's cell connection (that's pretty shaky around here) and doesn't automatically reconnect when the signal is restored. My phone is smart/persistent enough to reconnect but perhaps the car is not. Or maybe the phone just has a better modem, or antenna, that can deal with a weaker signal.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

Last edited by bertilak; 01-01-2024 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:30 PM
Received 600 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by bertilak
If I get into the car and start it there, it starts no problem. The app came back after driving it only about 100 feet, basically out of the driveway. I don't know if it was the time or the distance that did the trick.

I say the app came back, but it took about 4-5 minutes before location and remote start were working..
Yep, that's exactly what mine does. My app this morning said "Vehicle is offline". Car started normally. Infotainment system and nav were obviously cold started. Took some time before everything worked After 1/2 hour drive, The app worked and would talk to the car and would remote start it. (immediately after turning car off and locking it). 2 hours later - app says "Vehicle is offline"

I'm guessing it's the state of charge in the battery. The car will turn off things it does not need if the voltage gets too low. Modem for internet connection (used for the app and remote start) is one thing that is turned off.

Old 01-01-2024, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
I'm guessing it's the state of charge in the battery. The car will turn off things it does not need if the voltage gets too low. Modem for internet connection (used for the app and remote start) is one thing that is turned off.
Yes, could be low/bad battery. This could cause, as you say, the car to shut down less critical functions to save power. Or, it could be that low power causes flakiness. Computers are sensitive to this.

Old 01-01-2024, 05:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here ...for about three months. App works for about 5 minutes after the car has been run. I even locked the car via the Volvo OnCall app. But shortly thereafter, it shows the car "Offline".

Also, the infotainment warns of shutting down within a couple of minutes of shutting off the car so there is no way to listen to the radio while parked. I am assuming that the battery associated with these systems is low and either needs charging or replacement. Guess I will take it in to the dealership.

Old 01-01-2024, 06:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When the car is not started for several days, it goes into a 'deep' sleep and shuts everything off which is why the app will not work. As soon as you start the car normally, everything wakes up and the app will start working again. It has happened to me a few times. I determined it to start happening after 5 days of not starting the car...could be different for yours. I can understand shutting everything down to save the battery but not being able to remote start the car is ridiculous. Just goes to show that there should be a remote start button on the FOB in addition to being able to start via the app. I know my previous car had both options. If there has to be a choice, I would much rather have the start via the FOB than the app.

Old 01-01-2024, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Countryguy
When the car is not started for several days, it goes into a 'deep' sleep and shuts everything off which is why the app will not work. As soon as you start the car normally, everything wakes up and the app will start working again. It has happened to me a few times. I determined it to start happening after 5 days of not starting the car...could be different for yours. I can understand shutting everything down to save the battery but not being able to remote start the car is ridiculous. Just goes to show that there should be a remote start button on the FOB in addition to being able to start via the app. I know my previous car had both options. If there has to be a choice, I would much rather have the start via the FOB than the app.
This is not a deep sleep situation. The car is being used every day - not for long distances though.

Old 01-02-2024, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Countryguy
I parked my '23 XC60 B5 in the airport parking lot for 10 days. Came back to car after trip and everything worked fine. Never really noticed any problems. BUT I'm not saying nothing will happen. LOL

Old 01-02-2024, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by reach449
I parked my '23 XC60 B5 in the airport parking lot for 10 days. Came back to car after trip and everything worked fine. Never really noticed any problems. BUT I'm not saying nothing will happen. LOL
See my earlier post:
My working theory is that the modem loses it's cell connection (that's pretty shaky around here) and doesn't automatically reconnect when the signal is restored. My phone is smart/persistent enough to reconnect but perhaps the car is not. Or maybe the phone just has a better modem, or antenna, that can deal with a weaker signal.
Perhaps the signal is stronger in the airport parking lot than in my semi-rural neighborhood. A few years ago I had to step outside of my house to make a call on my cell phone. The nearest cell tower was quite ways off. It's better now but still not perfect.

Old 01-03-2024, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by reach449
When you started the car after the trip, did you do it normally or did you do it with the app? I'm pretty sure if you tried to do it with the app it would not work because the car would have been in a deep sleep.

Old 01-15-2024, 02:37 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I had this same message appear on the phone app the other day for the first time and thought it may have been the car having gone into a form of ‘deep-sleep’ mode after not using the car for 3 weeks.

I’m not so sure this message is related to a low battery issue as my battery is less than 1 year old and I keep the car on a 24/7 trickle charger. (My dealer actually recommended doing this due to there being a still unknown issue with the 12v battery capacity and the energy demands placed on it by the new AAOS system.)

After receiving the message, I started the car the next day with no issues. I’m also still running version 2.12. (I am not installing the downloaded v2.13.1 due to it causing more damage then good thus I'm holding on until v2.13.3 is downloaded to the car over OTA.)

Maybe this message is yet another spurious software bug glitch…

Old 01-16-2024, 12:32 PM

After 4-5 days of not starting the car, my '21 goes into a deep sleep. I cannot start it using the app but have no problem getting into the car and starting it. Once it has been started then I can use the app again to start it.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:10 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

As this message appears to be a new arrival for most of us, it would be very interesting to know if Volvo did indeed add a ‘Deep Sleep’ mode in a recent software update to try and mitigate the new AAOS 12v battery issue.

I believe that Ford added ‘Deep Sleep’ mode to their already existing ‘Sleep’ mode as some of their cars were also experiencing 12v battery issues.

It could have been one of those hidden updates, not documented in their release notes. Any way of getting any inside Volvo information to verify or not?

Old 01-16-2024, 05:19 PM

We are not saying the car won't start or perform. We are saying that it's not talking to the app and it's showing "OFFLINE" in the app.

Old 01-16-2024, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by VolvoDebbo
We are not saying the car won't start or perform. We are saying that it's not talking to the app and it's showing "OFFLINE" in the app.
Yes. Unless the mysterious Deep Sleep turns off internet/cell connectivity then that's not the problem! It may be A problem but it's not what I (the OP) was asking about.

As I said in a subsequent post ...