Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

VNS Voice POI List question, 2013 XC60

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VNS Voice POI List question, 2013 XC60

Greetings.
I recently acquired a 2013 XC60 Platinum. So far, I'm a big fan of VNS, but I have a question regarding the Voice POI List. When stating "Navigation, go to POI...," some very common items (Gas Stations, Hotels, Restaurants) produce results every time, while others I added within MyCar (Sports Complex, Performing Arts, Volvo Dealer, etc.) do not. For the latter, the system responds: "This function is currently unavailable." I initially thought it had something to do with the relative distance to the nearest item in the searched category——until I searched for a Volvo Dealer while sitting in the parking lot OF MY VOLVO DEALER. Same result. Oddly, it's a bit inconsistent. There are times when some categories work, but then later produce the dreaded "...function currently unavailable..." message.

I've unsuccessfully searched the forums and internet an answer to this, and also asked the dealer for help. As they are well into the 2015 model year mindset, they haven't a clue. I plan to call Volvo after the holidays, but thought maybe a member of the forum may have experienced something similar.

Kind thanks for any guidance anyone could offer.
Kevin

Old 01-04-2015, 06:25 PM

Following up...calling Volvo was useless. They directed me back to the dealer, indicating the service tech would need to contact Volvo while the car is in the shop. In the meantime, thinking I might reach someone familiar with the system, I made a few other calls to other Volvo dealers, but nothing! I seem to be alone on this problem.

Searching for POIs using the menu/button approach works perfectly every time. Only the Voice POIs seem to behave oddly as I describe above...

Old 01-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Default Volvo NAV POS

Kevin - I have a 2012 Xc60 Platinum. The NAV and voice is a POS. I only use it after spending the 4-7 hours loading the updates, only to be reminded that it is still difficult to work with and directions are still a mess.

Apologize that I'm not helping or adding to your discussion, just saw your post and got frustrated that VOLVO has not recalled this or refunded our money.

Regards, Tom

Old 01-12-2015, 09:59 PM

Thanks for your reply, Tom. Personally, I would stop short of saying it's a POS. I agree, it's not nearly as quick or intuitive as a smartphone (what car GPS is?), but I've found it reliable for regular use, especially on long trips. The split screen can be a lifesaver for me in unfamiliar areas. I just wish I could get an answer as to why the voice POI is unreliable.

Maybe one of the oddest aspects of the system os how there are several ways to get the same information. Initially, this was pretty frustrating but I've gotten pretty fast with it. I've long moved past the one-character-at-a-time text entry nonsense.

Thanks again for replying.