Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Want to buy a 2018 XC60 T5 but have reservations

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to buy a 2018 XC60 T5 but have reservations

Hi, so I'm in the market for a new car and I have my eyes on the 2018 XC60 T5 Momentum. I've test driven a few SUVs, but I keep coming back to this one because it's just so nice and has almost all the requirements I want. I plan on buying around the end of May, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger for a few reasons that I'm hoping some current 2018 owners can give some insight to:

1. How's the average MPG and how far do you drive? I'm in California and I drive 25 miles one way to work using highway and city and I'm curious.

2. (If this is too personal, ignore) How much did you purchase your XC60 for? I want to get the best deal and I don't want to regret paying more than I should have. A lot of the T5 Momentums in SoCal are listed around $46k with one of the premium colors and the Vision package along with some other minor features.

3. My main concern about this car is the reliability. I've been reading quite a bit and a lot have mentioned that Volvos reliability has suffered since the release of the 2016 XC90 with all the new features. I've seen quite a few of those for sale now. I love the look and feel of the MY18 XC60 and I want to know if anyone has had any reliability issues or have spent a decent amount of time in the shop since owning their new car.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-02-2018, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently leased (Feb) a 2018 SC60 T6 Momentum. It was a Service Car used by the dealer and was marked down several thousand $'s. It had around 4700 miles. It came equiped with about every option available. I have only driven it about 400 miles and so far no mechanical problems. The only thing that bothered me was a slight "drumming"sound at around 28 to 30mph coming from outside. It appeares the 19" nitrogen filled tires are the cause. A check of the VIN # shows it has not had any shop time done during the dealer service use time.So far I like it. I am also in California.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by korangor
Hi, so I'm in the market for a new car and I have my eyes on the 2018 XC60 T5 Momentum. I've test driven a few SUVs, but I keep coming back to this one because it's just so nice and has almost all the requirements I want. I plan on buying around the end of May, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger for a few reasons that I'm hoping some current 2018 owners can give some insight to:

1. How's the average MPG and how far do you drive? I'm in California and I drive 25 miles one way to work using highway and city and I'm curious.

2. (If this is too personal, ignore) How much did you purchase your XC60 for? I want to get the best deal and I don't want to regret paying more than I should have. A lot of the T5 Momentums in SoCal are listed around $46k with one of the premium colors and the Vision package along with some other minor features.

3. My main concern about this car is the reliability. I've been reading quite a bit and a lot have mentioned that Volvos reliability has suffered since the release of the 2016 XC90 with all the new features. I've seen quite a few of those for sale now. I love the look and feel of the MY18 XC60 and I want to know if anyone has had any reliability issues or have spent a decent amount of time in the shop since owning their new car.

Thanks in advance!
We just bought our XC60 T6 this weekend so we won't be as great a resource as some who've owned this car a few months longer. Keep in mind this is the first model year for the redesigned XC60.

Your first question is heavily dependent on freeway vs city driving and stop/start versus cruising. We've averaged around 20 mpg but perhaps we were pushing it a tad since its so fun to drive

We paid more than what you are seeing though if you are a Costco member, you get around 3k off MSRP right off the bat plus an additional $750 credit. You'll then get a $250 gift card from Costco if you fill out their survey of the experience. Our dealership here in NoCal is smaller than some and they didn't show as much flexibility as say a Ford dealer but I didn't press them as much as I probably should have either. Ours was a T6 not the T5 and have pretty much every option available so had a MSRP of just over 57k, we paid I think about 53k plus tax. It's steep for a car of that size but I think its better than the X1 or X3s I've driven and the safety features of this brand are unmatched from what I can see.

Given this is the first model year for the new version, reliability will be a bit of an unknown but I don't think the engine itself is new. It just received one or two car of the year awards as well which is nice. I'm going to investigate the extended warranty given our car has both a super and turbo charger and when you include the high end sound system and other gizmos, there are lots of things which could potentially go wrong. That being said, the Volvo owners I've talked to around here love them.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:19 AM

I have had a T6 since November. Keep in mind, the T6 has a significantly different engine than the T5. Recently did a trip across Colorado with a large Thule cargo box on the roof. The outbound part of the trip split the Rockies from N to S starting from Denver all the way down to southern Colorado using mountain highways. So lots of steep ascents and descents at high altitudes ranging from 7000 to more than 10000ft at speeds ranging from 45-70 MPH. That part of the trip I got about 25.5 MPG. Going home took a different route with less mountain driving and got on the interstate after doing about 1/3 of the mountain driving as before. Speed limit was 75 MPH on the interstate and aside from a construction zone I did 75-80 MPH for 300-ish miles. This leg of the trip I got ~28 MPG. The MPGs are all calculated and the car was reporting about the same.

My daily commute is about 25 miles on a front range highway (two lanes, some stop lights, sometimes backed up traffic, very hilly) and I don't have the Thule box on the roof, I get about 23 MPG per tank. This includes local errands when not commuting to the office. If I go the longer route and take the highway to work, including bad traffic and driving across local streets to get to the highway I easily get 25 MPG on a tank of fuel.

You can check out my MPG since I got the T6 here XC60 T6 R-Design (Volvo XC60) | Fuelly. Also you can search for some T5s to see what they have been recording Volvo XC60 MPG - Actual MPG from 363 Volvo XC60 owners.

As for the reliability; maybe consider leasing it. That way if it proves to be unreliable you can walk away from it at the end of the lease. I did that because the T6 dual boost engine is new, and I like to drive my cars hard and didn't want to be stuck with something if it doesn't hold up. Also when the lease is up I hope to switch to either a hybrid or all-electric for my commute.