Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

2001 Volvo Xc70 Tricky no start issue after timing.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:11 AM
Default 2001 Volvo Xc70 Tricky no start issue after timing.

Last night i decided to fix the timing issue i've been having with my volvo for a few day, the timing wasn't off much but since i picked up the cam locking tool i figured id get it fixed. I did what i thought would fix the timing by setting the cams like i've read and done before by lining up the cams and what not. i pieced the car back together and went to start the car it cranked a few times but was a no start so i decided to do some reading and realized i hadn't checked my camshaft timing marks before i put the car back together back apart everything went this time i took off the harmonic balancer to get a better look at the cam marks I used a flywheel puller and took it off but it started to pull off the gears for the timing belt ( it never came all the way off) but i quickly took of the balancer and hammered back on the gear. again aligned everything perfect and put it back together, no heres where my issue begins i the whole time i was adjusting the lower cam lines the car seemed to have compression like it should in spots where it gets hard to turn the crank then eases up but once i got the car back together and went to start it it made a very very subtle pop noise and then the crank shaft spun like it had no compression so i tested moving it by hand and it seemed to be very easy with no hard spots... this is where i'm left with a non starting car i have a feeling i messed it up internally so im just trying to get others opinions before i go and buy a new (used) motor i found for cheap.

I did re check the timing marks and everything seems to be in line

Other work i did on the car at the same time that might make a difference:

IPD HD TCV and lines
Cleaned the pcv hose under the manifold that runs to the intake
repaired intercooler boot (until my new one comes)

Old 03-21-2015, 11:35 PM

Did you take the cam sprockets off of the camshafts? Did you take off the CVVT hubs? Depending on how far you went with tear down will give the root cause but, bottom line, if the crankshaft turns over with no resistance then the valves have been compromised and there is no compression. To be sure, check the compression but if it is low then the engine needs to come apart.