Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Aftermarket HID question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket HID question

I want to install a aftermarket HID H7 for my XC70. BUt i heard if I install it, the bulb light out indicator will come on.

This is just plug and play HID.

1. Disconnect the old halogen bulb
2. connect the HID bulb to with the module to the orignal place
3. connect the orginal connector to the module

Old 10-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Default RE: Aftermarket HID question

I replaced my lights with an HID kit from interpower. I chose the 6000k. The light did not come on with my install, although I do have a weird occurance when I take a turn real hard or hit a very hard bump, sometimes the driver side bulb will go out and my interior light out bulb will come on. Strangely enough if I turn the light switch one click to the left, the driver light will come back on, but then I can't use my brights until I turn th ecar off and start again. This happens every now and again. Tech, if you read this, any ideas? I am thinking a loose connection in the driver side headlight plug. Remember mine is an 850

Old 10-18-2005, 04:03 AM

Thanks For the info! I hope mine doesnt do any of that once i installed my HID.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:28 PM

I don't think you will have a problem. My friend go the same kit i got for his Audi and it works fine. I am pretty sure the connection is loose. If you havent gotten a kit yet, check around for the kit's made by interpower. I believe the site is www.advantagewholesaler.com. I paid $350 shipped fpr my kit which is unbelievable. I did research on the company Interpower too and they are legit. They make industrial warehouse lighting and HID's for Korean cars. The bulbs are gauranteed to last at least 2000 hours. I would reccomend the 6000k as they are just a bit whiter than factory hid's. The 8000k use colored lenses to look really blue and it actually reduces the amount of light output. there is another site you will have to google, the do's and donts of HID's. if you can find it, read it, some good info there

Old 10-20-2005, 12:55 AM

I got a good deal with my frd.. He's asking for $220.. Phillps brand. Thats all the info I have. Going to install it over the weekend if I get my car back from the dealer on friday.

http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/...cts/xenon2.php

the thing im confused about is that it quoted: NOTE : Xenon HID bulbs can only be used in vehicles that have HID lighting systems. They cannot be used as an upgrade in conventional headlights.

however, im getting a kit.. hmm
btw thanks for the info....

Old 10-24-2005, 01:09 AM

I think what they mean is that you can't add a factory Xenon HID kit to a non HID housing. The bulbs for factory HID fit diff. than the aftermarket HID bulbs that are basedon conventional bulbs and their housings. Other than that, the ballasts do all the work. Good luck on your install. Phillips make a good kit and sounds like you got a killer deal.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:33 AM

I order another HID kit on ebay, ill let you know which kind. The guy who says he got phillips hid, cancel my order. and the ones who got it, says no label on the ballasts, etc.. So it might come on saturday or next week... The only problem is that i might have to drill a hole on the dust cover, that prevents dust, water,etc to get inside the bulb/headlamp housing. I dont really want to do any drilling since its still under warranty. but i guess the dust cover might be okay!!

Old 10-29-2005, 06:20 PM

I had to cut the whole out of mine as well. the kit will tell you the exact diameter and there are rubber o-rings on the piece that installs which will seal up preventing any leaks. Good luck, it is a very simple install, just a little hard figuring out where to mount the ballasts. Mine came with 2 sided tape that has held up great for like 8 months.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:49 PM

Finally got my HID today, didnt have time to install it. but i found another place to install the module, etc. I just have to drive a hole in the dust cover.

Halogen v.s HID pics coming soon!

Installed my HID today, but however, the bulb out indicator comes on and off. (see photo), everything is installed correctly any ideas?

Name:  hid1.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  hid4.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  21.1 KB
(VOLVO STOCK H7)

Name:  hid2.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  hid3.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  21.8 KB
(It comes on and off, both on the triangle light and trip computer screen at the same time)

Name:  MC1.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  MC2.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  mC3.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  MC4.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  MC5.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  36.0 KB

Old 03-14-2006, 11:25 AM

Hi there!

The problem is that the HID's (35W) if powered through the factory wires pull less Amps compared to the halogens (55W). It looks lke in your case you have a separate fused feed to the ballast that is switched through a relay which is controlled (switched) by the factory wires and light switch. The relay pulls even less Amps than the HID's or halogens. The way that I understand the low beam failure check works is that there is an inline resistor that develops a voltage across it which is read by the computer. If the current (Amps) is lower the voltage across the resistor is lower and the computer thinks that the bulb is not working properly (burn't). Apparently there is a fix for the S60/V70 that can be found on the following website: http://www.xenonvalot.com/xenonfixvolvo.html

I have a V50 and unfortunately, the CEM in the V50 does not look like that of the S60/V70. I have the wiring diagrams for the V50 but there is no detailed schematic for what is on the CEM, only what is wired to it. I am still looking for a fix for my V50. My kit has a separate fused feed to the ballast that is switched through a relay controlled by factory wiring.

Anyway, I hope that the information and link helps,

Cheers....

Old 04-01-2006, 04:52 AM

Oh yeah! I got that fixed long time ago from a member regarding the same site at a XC site. Thanks!!!

Old 04-03-2006, 05:27 PM

i have to say lol, If you got the MTEC brand H7 with the voltage balanacer lol you wouldnt be dealing with the problem! but I also have to say that Xenon CEM module is really a good idea too.......

Old 04-04-2006, 02:53 AM

Yeah its alight! the CEM pin cost only a few bucks to replace.