Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Brake Light Bulb Problem

Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Bulb Problem

Guys maybe you can help me. I have a 2000 V70Xc the light on the dash lit up, Brake light Bulb fault light. So I check the brake lights they seem to be working OK Im at the dealer for a warranty issue driveshaft. The Service Manager tells the Techto replace the brake light bulbs anyway may be a loose filament. He does the dash light goes out everything is OK driev home park the car for two days , while driving the fault light comes on again the high mount LED light is out I am waiting for one from the dealer in Texas I ordered on line the stealer wanted $75, I know this could be it! Im praying If it isnt any suggestions or does the LED sometimes go out, the car is almost 8years old? When I unplugged the LED the dash light still stays on is this also normal. Im hoping the LED comes today and i can plug it in when I get home and it works. As I asked the dealer $125 hr labor to search for the problem, wiring harness and or short!!!!Thanks Bill

Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: Brake Light Bulb Problem

Sometimes the lights go bad.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:47 AM

Dear Tech
So I found the problem, don't know if I can fix it but the dealer wants $125 hour so here goes. Originally when the bulb failure light lit up on the dash I was at the dealer for a warranty issue, warranty has since expired used car 30days 1K. So the service manager tells the tech to replace the light bulbs anyways as maybe the filament, if not we may need to replace the wiring harness in the hatch. Im driving Monday and the dash light comes on again I wedge the snow scraper onto the brake pedal and see that the high mount brake light, LED Unit isnt working but the other brake lights near the tail lamps are. Call the dealer the LED is $75 so I order it online for $52 replace it last night it works, figure "Im a genius" beep wrong answer!!! As I close the hatch or gate I notice the high Mount Brake Light LEF and the License Plate Lights flicker on and off when I open and close the hatch. I guess normally one would say the harness is worn out near the hatch hinge on the drivers side wher the harness sheathes in nylon web is. This I know because last weekend when I was trying to pretend I was a Mechanuic, I tried to replace the struts and the end of the strut near the hartch and wires was a bear to get on I used a very large screwdriver to attempt to wedge on the strut and a small pry bar!! I thought I stayed clear of the the wires but maybe i didn't unless the harness was bad all the time? sounds unlikley!! So my dilema now bring it to the delaer?? The Volvo Indipendent Clinic $85 hr or try to fix it with butt connectors if I can find the bad wires??? Any help I would appreciate or suggestions, Im a tinkerer and not a mechanic, but I need to save a few dollars so Im thinking of making an attempt!!! thanks guys, Bill

Old 01-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Administrator

I would make the attempt myself.
I have only ever seen it on S60's first time on the V70.'
Check the price for the harness. Or trace the wires one at a time. If need be I can try to find the wiring diagram for you to help figure out the wires and you could run new single wires yourself.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:02 AM

Dear Tech
Thanks for the info. I actually fixed it on Saturday took me about 4 hours. You were on target!the wiring harness had multiple broken wires near the hinge on the tailgate. Actually I spliced and butt connected I think it was 6 wires, they were hard to find I had to move the nylon sheath up and down the harness and cut some of it off to get to them . In the end I sucessfully connected the wires with butt connectors put electrical tape on them individually then collectivley and tie wrapped it back in place like the original was or close to it!!! As I said it was difficult because given the room to work, littleslack in the harness, thin gauge wires 18-24and most of all the wires were broken inside the insulation, the insulation was not cut, the only clue from the outside of the wire was a small bend or kink in the wire so It was hard, I also checked to see what was working, or not and just kept going to alll was working, brake, wipers, washer, license plate light ETC. In the end really just cut the wires at the kink and reconnected them! all seems to work OK now FYI I just called the dealer, a new harness $207, Grotton Conn $175.00 the service tech will call me back with a total price, labor and all, I may want to fix it correctly or if It acts up angain and I lose, brake lights, wipers etc!!!. "TECH" You were correct the Volvo dealers Service Writer alsosaid that he never seen it happen on2000 V70XC's only the earlier wagons?? Thanks again Bill

Old 01-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Glad you got it fixed.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:38 PM

If u ever need the hi mount LED brake lite let me know.I put the 70R spoiler with integrated LED on my XC70 and removed the hi mount LED .I will give u mine for postage if u need one as I certainly dont need it-and mine works.Lol.BJ