Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

grinding brake on 99

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking grinding brake on 99

The right front brake had been making a noise at a very low speed, so yesterday after looking at the pads, I removed and replace the front ones, (both rotors were fine). I am still having a "grinding" noise on the right front, only at a low speed when applying lots of pressure to the brake pedal. I noticed when I changed the pads that on the passenger side, getting the piston down enough (even using a "C" clamp) was extremely difficult, though I finally got it.

I used a good pad (Wagner) which I have put on ALL our Volvos with much success, so I guess what I am asking is........could I have missed something on the rotor...or is this definitely a caliper problem? If it is a caliper....is the best medicine just to replace it, or is there a "fix" for this one?

We have just purchased this car, so it was my first time to have the wheels off of the front end, the pads were pretty worn...but NOT down to nothing.

Thanks for your help!! .......again!

Old 08-08-2009, 01:13 AM

I'm diagnosing a similar issue on a 99 T5 I just purchased. I replaced the rotors all around and the rear pads. The front OE pads are still good so I left them on, but there is definitely an intermittent grinding noise from the front driver side rotor at low speeds.

The car had not been serviced regularly by the previous owner, I suspect the front caliper slider is binding from lack of maintenance. I will post a follow up if I am able to fix it.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Default Rotor noise

When ever I purchase I used car I ALWAYS bleed the brakes. This is something nobody ever thinks about. I have 25 years in hydraulics and people never think of brake bleeding.
BUT... please spend the money and buy the best brake fluid you can find. A very long time ago I had my brake pads lock my brake during the winter because of all the water that had contaminated the fluid.
It a very simple operation... make sure that you replace the brake cylinder cap before pumping the brakes.
REMEMBER...BRAKE FLIUD WILL EAT EVERYTHING IT TOUCHES. THIS MAY SOUND STUPID BUT COVER EVERYTHING WITH A PLASTIC BAG AND COVER THAT WITH RAGES THAT YOU HAVE TO THROW AWAY. I go get a turkey baster and suck as much fluid out as possible. Then I take a 100% cotton t-shirt ( do not use a paper towel, it will leave small paper crap inside.) and clean the inside of the reservior. After I remove each wheel I shoot a little WD-40 inside and around the bleed fitting. I use the "jar and rubber hose " bleeding system" . I do use a zip tie to keep the rubber hose on the brake bleed port.
Using two people makes the job easier but I have done it alone for years. One pumps and holds the pedel down and the other opeans and closes the brake value.
I you do decide to bleed let the fliud sit for a few days in a clear jar and the look to see what has floated to the top/
I am sorry for the bad spelling and missing words...any questions please ask?

Cb

Old 08-08-2009, 06:37 AM
Default Rotor noise...again... read

Make sure the parking brake is OFF.... some the piston can move . Cb

Old 08-08-2009, 09:12 AM

I replaced the caliper on mine, bled the brakes, and problem is gone.