Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

multiple intermittent warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default multiple intermittent warning lights

Hi, first post here. Didn't find the answer by searching past posts. I have a '99 XC70 that has just started acting wonky. While driving, the W mode started flashing, check engine light went on, ABS light went on, brake light went on, and the 2 lines of the odometer blanked out. Since then, the W mode light was flashing for a while but turned off after I shifted a few times with the key in the 2nd position. Then only the check engine light stayed on. Now, the ABS/brake lights will turn on every few minutes. When they first turn on, the odometer lines go blank. Without doing anything, the lights will turn off, the odometer lines show up, on and on and on. Thus far, the W mode arrow has stayed off. Driving the car around the park doesn't seem to alter what the lights do. These other lights are driving me crazy. Is the car safe to drive to the dealer? As I sit in the driveway with the car running, I watch the lights cycling on and off. The only constant is the check engine light.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Default RE: multiple intermittent warning lights

you probably have a faulty abs module. this could cause all your symptons except the "w" indicator illuminating. the "w" indicator illuminating is most likely a separate problem. you may havea sticky switch on the shift console.

as far as the abs module, perform a web search for vic rocha. he can repair your abs module. i recommend his service.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Default RE: multiple intermittent warning lights

Ok, I got the torx wrench from Vic Rocha but I'm having trouble accessing the two back screw on the unit. (top and bottom) Even with the air filter box not constraining the little space, what's left behind of the turbo intake hose and other misc things keep me from being able to get to those back screws. Vic's site shows him using his right hand to operate the ratchet and the left to hold the tool against the screws. I don't understand how his right hand does _anything_. I can only barely touch the rear bottom screw with the tip of my finger. Forget trying to get a tool in there. Any suggestions? I didn't see an easy way to remove the rest of the turbo hose down there.