Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Need advice on timing belt replacement - low milage

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on timing belt replacement - low milage

I have a 2001 xc70 with only 41,000 miles. I am the original owner and the car has been garaged consistently. Volvo service says I need to have a timing belt replacement because the car is 10 years old, regardless of mileage. They want to charge $625. What do you think? The mileage seems really low for this. Is there anything else that should go with this if I do it? (any opinions from experts and others would be GREATLY appreciated!!) Thanks

Old 05-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While mileage is indeed an important factor in the replacement of a timing belt, it would be foolhardy to discount the effects of age on a rubber belt locked up inside a cover with heat and oil fumes. Your car has an extremely complex engine with variable valve timing. Changing the belt on one of these engines is no walk in the park. Typically, a Volvo specific tool is used to lock the two cam shafts so they do not get out of time during the process. While the price your dealership is indeed steep, you're paying extra for the special tool and training afforded the techs to assure it gets done correctly the first time. Replacing or rebuilding your engine as the result of a failed timing belt would cost you between four and five thousand dollars...so, perhaps that will provide some perspective.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:47 PM

SJ44, thanks for the reply! Maybe you also have some info on my airbags. The car sticker says to replace them in 2011. But the dealer says that was changed to "the airbags last the life of the car". This gets me a bit worried. Should I be? Thanks again!!

Old 05-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

For many years, most cars, Volvo included,had expiration dates of 10 years from manufacture. If the dealer says they now have no expiration, it is news to me but a good thing. Very rarely , we get bored at work and set off an old air bag for fun. I've been present for this twice. Both air bags were 20+ years old...both deployed. It's a personal choice, but I certainly would not shell out the 4-6K it would cost to replace all the bags in a newer vehicle.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:47 PM

Wow, SJ44, you are a fountain of knowledge!! (not being sarcastic, I mean it ) I'm kind of embarrased to ask another question, but do you know if the complete draining of the brake fluid every 30,000 miles is really essential? I only have 41,000 miles and I worry about repressurizing and sealing the system once its drained. (You can tell I'm not an expert, right?). Thanks again.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:21 PM

I wouldn't drain it all at once, as you would likely have to bench bleed the master cylinder.
If the seals are on their way out a bench bleed will surely do them in.

I would just add more fluid and bleed until it's clean.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Brake fluid has a major affinity w/ moisture. A sealed system is a must. Take a good look at the fluid in the reservoir. If it is golden colored it is fine. If it is dark brown or murky looking, it is time to flush the system. Any shop can do a credible job of it.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:49 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback. It is really helpful! I don't want to jinx myself, but I haven't had any major problems with my 2001 xc70, just quirky things. I keep up with scheduled maintenance and keep my fingers crossed. Overall it's a great car. Hope I can still say that as my mileage builds up. LOL!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you intend to own the car a few more years, definitely replace the timing belt and have the service centre flush your brake fluid as well.
Both are critical, yet very under valued parts of a vehicle's service. I won't talk about the rubber timing belt degrading, Swiftjustice covered that well.
To show you how important I feel regular brake fluid flushing is, my cars get it every two years, no matter what. I have a 2005 Mitsubishi that I've changed the fluid on three times, and each time the fluid comes out just a little opaque, indicating moisture and oxidisation of the fluid.
Old brake fluid in a braking system causes so many problems, poor braking when hot and corrosion/damage of parts are just two of them. For a half hours labour and a litre or two of fluid, it is all avoidable.
SO in my opinion, these two service items (fluid and timing belt) are very important and never carried out as often as necessary.
If you really want to treat your car well, make sure the transmission is serviced as well.