Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Related to a transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Related to a transmission problem?

Hi, new here! We have a 2002 xc70, bought used and has about 130,000 miles on it. We noticed pretty early on in our ownership of the vehicle that there were likely some transmission issues. We brought it to our local dealership and had the tranny flushed and filled. They said that it could help or quickly expedite the problems. After the flush there were some infrequent issues...every once in a while it would slip while going slowly around a corner and there were some hard shifts, but nothing horrible.

The problem I need help with is a grinding noise. The first time I heard it I was coming off the highway after a rather long trip. When I started to slow I heard a grinding (like I was dragging soda cans) and when the car finally stopped, there was a clunk and it lurched a bit. I had a large, heavy saw in the back and the radio on, so I was able to convince myself that the saw had made the noise, even though I was skeptical. Since then, it's happened several more times, until recently all while coming off the highway. The second time it happened we had the brakes checked to see if that was the cause, and they appeared to be in good working order.

This past week, I was driving down a back road, and the noise started. This was the first time it happened anyplace other than an off ramp. As I came to a stop, the same clunking and lurching. I was also able to pinpoint that the noise is not initiated by applying the brakes. In the past few days, it's happened at least once (usually more) on each around town trip.

Anyone have any ideas? Does it sound transmission related to you? That has been my gut feeling all along, but the husband didn't agree. Thanks in advance for any advice!