Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 XC90 Camshaft Seal Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 XC90 Camshaft Seal Diagnosis

Over the past several months I've noticed that there has been a slight loss of oil during regular checks, so yesterday I started doing some digging to find the source. I suspected the camshaft seals from the beginning so removed the timing cover to find quite a bit of oil evenly distributed all over the inside. The Intake sprocket also appears to have some oil accumulation, however the exhaust sprocket is dry. In the pictures attached, you can see the inside of the timing cover and a close-up of the back side of the intake sprocket. I also attached a picture of the pulleys / sprockets that are on this engine (B5254T2).

I have good experience doing DIY work on this vehicle among others now and in the past, but I like to have as much information as possible on jobs before I attempt them. I succeeded in a complete PCV system replacement on the car back in January so I feel comfortable doing this job with the proper direction. That being said, I have done some searching on the camshaft seal replacement and found write-up's on older models, and I have VIDA instructions as well. There is an obvious difference on my engine with the two VVT units that are attached to the sprockets, and need some help deciphering how to R/I these properly.

-First, is it possible to perform this job without the camshaft adjustment tool that VIDA says to use?
-If it is possible, how bad is it to skip the checking/adjusting of the VVT unit that also requires the use of the camshaft adjustment tool?
-Is it simply a matter of being sure that the VVT unit and sprocket is re-installed EXACTLY in the same position as it was before removal? And how do I ensure this is done properly?

I might not even be asking the right questions... I don't really have any questions about taking it apart, it's putting back together and still having a working car!

Thanks for any help!

Attached Thumbnails 04 XC90 Camshaft Seal Diagnosis-inside-timing-cover.jpg   04 XC90 Camshaft Seal Diagnosis-intake-sprocket.jpg   04 XC90 Camshaft Seal Diagnosis-pulleys.jpg