Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 XC90 timing questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 xc90 timing questions

I am replacing a bad motor in my car. I have the motor out and am putting in a low mileage used 2.5 In looking over the replacement motor I was looking at belts hoses etc etc. I have the front timing belt cover off. I turned the crank around clockwise to TDC (f you will)and noticed that the cam alignment marks are not up in the position that matches the cover timing marks. This motor was a running motor when the car became a donor car for me(due to a collision in the rear). So I feel the need to be alarmed. Before putting the motor in the car is there a bench check that I can do to insure that the motor is ok etc. When turning the crank, did notice that the exhaust put out what I would call a good compression noise. What other check can I do to insure motor is timed properly.

Last edited by truss; 02-01-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:15 AM

Thx everybody for replying to this. It is ok though....turned out to be me reading the wrong timing marks...motor runs fine but now I have the trans indicator saying it is in reverse but it physically isnt. And the oil pressure warning light is on now as well. Any ideas....thx

Old 02-09-2016, 09:34 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Oil pressure is critical of course. You need to check the oil of course, and assuming that looks okay, put a mechanical pressure gauge on it. Since you have your old engine there, you could just swap the sensors and try that instead of a gauge. if they both agree, then I would say it's low.

If it is in fact low, you will have to figure out why. volvos are like any other engine, but one strange feature is these engines have an o-ring on the oil pickup tube that might cause you not to have oil pressure. When I have seen that, it didn't come on until it got warmed up a bit. So in a sense it seemed like everything else to do with oil pressure. If you don't have any oil pressure with cold oil, that would be pretty strange.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:02 AM

While going thru things with the motor yesterday, I found turbo hoses that were pretty lose....I tightened them up and my oil pressure warning went away??? I guess lose turbo fittings can effect oil pressure???? I now have the trans indicator on dash saying it is in reverse but the car is in park. Tranny seems to work fine accept for that. The backup sensor stays on as well when dash says it is in reverse....but the car physically is in park. Any suggestions?????thx