Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 XC90 2.5t AWD: Anti-Skid: SAS error when turning wheel far left

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 XC90 2.5t AWD: Anti-Skid: SAS error when turning wheel far left

Hello all. This is my first post here. I have searched the internet for an answer to my specific question and didn't find an answer, so that's why I'm posting.

On my 2006 XC90 2.5t AWD, I often get the 'ANTI-SKID TEMPORARILY OFF' message when I start my car, though it will usually disappear after some driving. Later I will often get the 'ANTI-SKID SERVICE REQUIRED' message, and it took me a while to figure out exactly what triggered it. I first noticed it often occurred when I was parking and had my steering wheel turned all the way in one direction, then later I narrowed it down to it being turned far to the left.

I've gotten a couple OBD II scan tools to try out that have diagnostic capabilities for Volvo cars, supposedly being able to reset or re-calibrate the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) module, but all they've been able to do is clear the error code, not re-calibrate, and the error just ends up reappearing again.

SAS error 000E -- Steering wheel angle sensor, Internal fault.
ABS error 0109 -- Communication between control modules, Steering wheel modules (SWM), internal fault.
I'm pretty sure that the SAS issue is causing the ABS issue, so fixing the SAS will stop both errors from occurring.

I used the Live Data feature on the SAS module and monitored the Steering wheel angle value as I turned the wheel while the car was running and in park. When the steering wheel appeared to be exactly in the center the angle showed 0 degrees and would change to show Left or Right in 1.5 degree increments as I slowly turned the wheel left or right, so the SAS at least at this point seemed to be functioning correctly.

When I turned the wheel to the right all the way around slowly until it stopped, it showed 475.50 degrees, no errors on the dashboard message display, and I turned it back to center, still no errors. When I turned the wheel to the left all the way around slowly, the 'ANTI-SKID SERVICE REQUIRED' message appeared when the angle showed 378 degrees, and the live data stopped updating the angle direction, angle, and angle velocity. I did this a couple more times (after restarting the car) and it did the same thing (threw the message and stopped reporting data) at 387 degrees and 373.50 degrees. When I turned the car off then back on again, the 'ANTI-SKID TEMPORARILY OFF' message would re-appear, the angle would initially report at 0 degrees, but any movement of the steering wheel would then show what appeared to be the correct angle. For example, if the wheel was turned say a half turn in either direction when the car was off, then after starting the car and touching the wheel enough to register movement, what appeared to be the correct angle would appear, and turning the wheel back to the straight ahead position would get the angle value to show 0 degrees again.

So here's my question... Does this sound like something that can be fixed by doing a re-calibration of the SAS? The error doesn't occur when the wheel is all the way to the right or within around two-thirds of the way to the left, so maybe it's a calibration issue? If so, what is the least expensive way to re-calibrate the SAS? I've read all sorts of things online about ways to re-calibrate certain cars, but in the end it sounds like these model/year Volvo cars need to be re-calibrated with a tool. I don't want to go to a Volvo dealership and deal with their slimy sales crap, and am hesitant of trying more expensive OBD Scan & Diagnostic tools even when they say they support Volvo and SAS, because I've already tried one that said it fixed the SAS and it didn't.

If you have knowledge about whether this sounds like it can be fixed with a re-calibration of the SAS, please let me know what specific tool or procedure to use. If this sounds like the SAS has an actual internal error in it with one of the sensors in it and needs replacing, then please also explain why. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2022, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same issue. I swapped out the SAS for another, and the exact thing still occurs.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:15 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by BenM

I swapped out the SAS for another, and the exact thing still occurs.

So here's my question... Does this sound like something that can be fixed by doing a re-calibration of the SAS?
Here's what Vida says about that code -

EDIT: Found this video of someone using VIDA to calibrate SAS in the brake/abs section

Here it is in the advanced BCM section

Last edited by hoonk; 03-29-2022 at 09:58 PM.