Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 XC90 DEFECT

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 XC90 DEFECT

I need some advice, I have never own a Volvo before so I thought I can get some advice here, here is the timeline:
23 Jun 07-Went to the volvo dealership as I was told that it's ready for pick up. Sales rep did an good job explaining to me the features of my XC90. After the initial tour of my car, the sales rep got the car out of the showroom for me. As I got in the car I noticed the check engine light on, before he could go back in the showroom I called him to tell him that the check engine light is on. It only had 32 miles and he told me that it was probably because the battery was a bit low, he told me just to drive it over the weekend and that it should just go off. He also told me that If it still on by Monday, to call him back so he can book it for an appointment.

25 Jun 07-Monday- Went back to the dealership and told them that the light was still on, sales rep book me for an appointment with the service center that supposedly did the final delivery check. This time I'm already a bit disappointed, paid $41,200 for a car that has to go to the service center the 3rd day I owned it.

26 Jun 07- Dropped the car off, and told the technician of the problem.
27 Jun 07- Technician called me back and told me that on board computer was not able to tell them the actual code and that maybe because the battery was low so it triggered the check engine light. This is hard for me to believe considering a check engine light together with the on board computer should narrow down the problem by flashing a specific codes. Technician reset the OBD but cannot guarantee me that the light won't come on again. Picked it up the same day.
28 Jun 07- The car stayed home pretty much the same day-I decided to take for a drive with the kids-not before long the CEL came on again. Called the sales rep and the service center. Technician told me to book it again for another appointment.
02 Jul 07-This is the first day they had an appointment available for me, brought the car in-told the tech about the problem. Technician told they might have to do a bit more research. Now this is a brand new car with barely 100 miles on it and in the service center the second time for the same problem.

05 Jul 07- Technician called me and told me that it is now fixed and that they had to replaced the 02 sensor. I was happy and glad they had figured out the problem. But not too happy the fact that it is a brand new vehicle and already ahd to replaced a damn sensor.
6 Jul 07 Decided to drive it to work, low and behold light came on again. This time i'm pissed, again the price that I paid for the vehicle and problem that it already has. Called the sales rep (always kept him in the loop) and the service tech, pretty much told them that I'm very dissatisfied. Had to book it gain for another appointment (3rd time).

13 Jul 07-Car stayed in the house the whole time, dropped it off again on this day.

25 Jul 07-Service center has informed me that they had been in contact with the factory and was doing some testing since they could not figured out what is causing the problem. They had also asked if they could drive it and put some miles on it as part of the testing. They also told me that real cause of the CEL light coming on is "engine running too rich". They had pulled the manifold and the injectors and everything was fine, also replaced seal. Now again, this is a brand new car, is this the quality that you get from VOLVO? Technician told me that they had reset the OBD, but again could not guarantee me that they had fixed the problem. In other words they have not fixed it and just want me to drive it hoping that the light will not come on.

Now what are my options? I am not willing to drop a vehicle.., that I pad a high price.., every 2 weeks for the same problem that the service center cannot fixed. I am very frustrated and told the sales rep that I'm going to demand a replacement. I know I took delivery of the car but the problem started before I even drove it. The only reason that I took delivery was because the sales rep told me it was okay to drive it. I am willing to fight and maybe et a lawyer because in reality I did not do anything wrong and the vehicle has not given me anything but. Vehicle has less than 500 miles, been to the service center 3 times for the same problem in less than 3 weeks that I owned it. Can someone give thoughts on this.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:01 AM
Default RE: 2008 XC90 DEFECT

Hi. Depending on what state you live in, it sounds like you may have a "lemon" (typicallyapplies if the dealer can not fix the problem after3 attempts).Ifit falls under the Lemon lawVolvo would have toprovide you a new replacement vehicle at no additional charge.

Volvo is a very reliable brand and I'm a lucky owner of a 2006 XC90 V8 -my firist Volvo and the best vehicle I've ever own.Iwill buy one again. Also keep in mind that Volvo maintains great resale value and offers a 5 year/50K miles warranty which even covers your light bulbs. Sorry about the hassle. Good luck.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Default RE: 2008 XC90 DEFECT

I had a similar experience and a good outcome. See my post at https://volvoforums.com/m_61598/tm.htm.