Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 XC90 Flooded and Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 XC90 Flooded and Won't Start

My 2008 XC90 got flooded and won't start. Water went in and reached the floormat with about an inch inside. At first I tried to start it but it didn't work. There was not even a crank. Dash showed that batter was low and on safe mode. Power window, door locks, stereo was working. I thought initially that the problem was the battery. After taking the water out I changed the battery after one week. It still didn't work and did not even cranked when I turned the key. Now I think that the problem is beyond the battery. Maybe the starter.

Please give me advise on how to make it start. Any other issues that I need to address?

Regards,
Joey

Old 03-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Default starting XC90 after water hydraulically locks

I was daft enough to get water in through air filter and motor hydraulically locked (water sucked into cylinder and motor than jambs when piston tries to compress). This can bend conrods etc - but you can be lucky as I was.

AA removed glow-plugs and cranked engine to eject water through glow-plug holes. They also disconnected the air-inlet from front of engine - advising that the inter-cooler would be full of water which it would pump into engine if this not disconnected.

With glow-plugs replaced engine cranked over (needed booster as battery had been affected by water). Engine fired up and engine ran fine. Hugh amounts of water were ejected from inter-cooler so disconnecting that was essential.

I was warned that should electrical gremlins start then vehicle should be towed for checking out - as it is possible water damage could cause air-bags to set off.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have comprehensive insurance I'd make a claim. modern cars getting flooded is bad. corrosion weeks, months or years later will cause electrical gremlins galore. mildew growing etc. resale value destroyed. if you want to keep troubleshooting check all the fuses and fusible link.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by schumicat
if you have comprehensive insurance I'd make a claim. modern cars getting flooded is bad. corrosion weeks, months or years later will cause electrical gremlins galore. mildew growing etc. resale value destroyed. if you want to keep troubleshooting check all the fuses and fusible link.
Thank you for your response. I ended up claiming with the insurance. I was trying to buy back the vehicle but my insurance does not allow it. Again, thanks for the response.