Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Volvo XC90- estimate

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Volvo XC90- estimate

Hello all,

After just spending $1150 replacing the front struts on my XC90, I thought I would ask your opinion on some of the other "necessary" maintenance items that my mechanic wanted to do. For now, I've told him that I'd need to wait a few weeks to recover from the cost of the struts!

2012 Volvo XC 90 3.2
Mileage is 85,975 (2nd owner, about 1 year owned now)

Fuel Injector Clean $175
Throttle Body Clean $225
Power Steering Flush $215
Coolant Liquid Flush $175
Brake Fluid $175

Please let me know your thoughts on these items. I have used this mechanic for about 6 years now and I've always felt they were competent and fair. However, after the sticker shock on the strut replacement (another online only estimate for Dallas, TX quoted me $800 total), I'm concerned that he's not as honest as I one thought. Thanks in advance!
-Josh

Old 07-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Fuel injector cleaning isn't necessary. There is no interval for it in Volvo's maintenance schedule.

The throtle body cleaning could be needed, but not likely. Don't see a lot of problems with those throttles.

Power steering flush also isn't in Volvo's maintenance schedule, but it is common for debris to eventually clog the filter in the reservoir, so flushing can prevent that.

Coolant can be tested to see if it needs to be replaced. You can get a hydrometer pretty cheap at any auto parts store and test yourself.

Brake fluid replacement is due every 2 years or 37,500 miles.

As for the strut price, just comparing two prices isn't enough unless you are sure both places are using the same struts and replacing the same parts. A shop famailiar with Volvo's will also replace the upper spring seat. A place not familiar might suggest the upper bearing plates as well, even though they very rarely fail. An alignment should also be performed after the work.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your very helpful and informative reply. I feel confident enough now to prioritize some of these things a bit differently. (brake flush being 1st) I really do appreciate your time on the response.

Originally Posted by ES6T
Fuel injector cleaning isn't necessary. There is no interval for it in Volvo's maintenance schedule.

The throtle body cleaning could be needed, but not likely. Don't see a lot of problems with those throttles.

Power steering flush also isn't in Volvo's maintenance schedule, but it is common for debris to eventually clog the filter in the reservoir, so flushing can prevent that.

Coolant can be tested to see if it needs to be replaced. You can get a hydrometer pretty cheap at any auto parts store and test yourself.

Brake fluid replacement is due every 2 years or 37,500 miles.

As for the strut price, just comparing two prices isn't enough unless you are sure both places are using the same struts and replacing the same parts. A shop famailiar with Volvo's will also replace the upper spring seat. A place not familiar might suggest the upper bearing plates as well, even though they very rarely fail. An alignment should also be performed after the work.