Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Puzzled by High Repair Estimate

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puzzled by High Repair Estimate

My husband's convinced, I got the "cute dumb chick" quote for a repair but am seeking advice from those wiser than I about all things Volvo.

2002 S-60, 62,000 miles. I fall for the "60,000 mile service" which dealer charged $400 for (totally outrageous if ya ask me) THEN tells me the "engine mount bushing is cracked" That's gonna be another $200. I decline.

Take it to a local Ann Arbor shop and not only does their "free"estimate inform me that yes, indeedy the engine mount bushing is cracked but the something lower control arm? AND the ball joints need replacing, Damage: $1300.

WTF? Is all this normal. Is this car gonna bleed me dry? Got this car in June 2005. I've been falling for the "scheduled maintainence stuff" but so far, taking into account I paid cash forthe car, regularly maintained it, in these short 28 months it's cost me $900 a month to own -- not including gas and insurance.

Please help me, please, please, please!!!!!! What am I doing wrong? I'm about ready to go back to an old beater I can take to the grease monkey down the street [&o]
Andrea

Old 11-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Puzzled by High Repair Estimate

Welcome to the forum.

I will let you know that Volvo's are not cheap to repair. If you can do the work yourself, you will save yourself a lot of money.

Are you sure those estimates were just for parts or did that include labor? Because most Volvo dealerships charge $75-$80 an hour for labor.

Also regular maintaince is a good thing to do. You don't want to be caught somewhere and not be able to get the car fixed so by taking it to the dealership for regular maintaince for mileage isn't a bad thing it is a good thing. You might be able to take it to a local shop and have it done for less, but in any event it isn't a bad thing. You want your car running smoothly.

Now I am not a guru on fees and all that, that is for someone else to chime in for you. For example TECH, hopefully he will see this and answer your questions more indepth.

I'm sorry that my response probably didn't help you any.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well these cars are more expensive to maintain. Of course they hold their value alot longer than most other cars. The 60K service is going to cost you that at any Volvo dealer. Sound odd that the ball joints would be worn out at 60K. The engine mount bushing can be bought off ebay and if you have a Haynes manual it will walk you through the repair. Haven't done one myself but based on location it should be a fairly easy fix.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you know that one of the best independant Volvo repair places is in Ann Arbor. It's called Swedish Engineering. Near State and 94.

Take it there.

They have saved me hundreds by not doing unnecessary repairs and so on. They seem very honest and committed towards fixing the vehicle.

I have an S60 02 as well. And for the most part, it's been trouble free and I have 75K on that one. I would change the trans oil yourself, and get (not from Swedish Engineering) from Mobil (Vesco oil in Detroit) distributor their Mobil 3309 trans fluid. Only costs like $50 per case of 12. Just do drain and fills like an oil change until the 12 quarts is used up. Plugs, filters, oil changes you can do yourself. Just ask people on here, or seach around. For your 400 dollar 60 K check up you probably got 40 dollars worth of parts and the rest was labor. And that labor you could have done yourself.

I get 32 on the HWY with the S60 so I must be doing something right.
The website for Swedish Engineering is www.swedishengineering.com

Old 11-09-2007, 02:09 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: FredMc

They seem very honest and committed towards fixing the vehicle.

Good info in this thread. ButFredMc's line is the be all and end all.
You don't need to be car guru to judge the people your dealing with. Just becaue you aren't a gearhead doesn't mean you can't judge whether or not someone is lying to you.
Ask to speak to the tech who is fixing/recommending the work. A good tech will notice most of the potential porblems and should be able to prioritize the work. It may look like large bill up front; but wouldn't you like the time to plan before something becomes a major issue?
Ask him to show/explain toyou what they are talking about. Remeber it is a service industry.
Find a good dealer/shop... stick with them. If you have a history with a dealer/shop, you are more likely to be treated better. Do not deal with a Midas/ Merlin/other chain stores. Take it to a expert.
I think the 60k is worth it. Its a big service that should be done. Regular care is the difference between a good car and a problem car.
Yeah; these cars can be expensive to fix/maintain. Its a luxury car.
---Ask questions--- Unless it is a difficultelectical issue; it should be easy to explain in laymans terms.

A good looking women shouldn't be an issue.Macho guys who pretend they know will always be worse off, then a assertive woman.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:15 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments, and esp the tip for the place in Ann Arbor.
It's hard getting used to the idea of driving a luxury car (used to drive a beat up old truck) so getting used to maintainence / repairs is tough.
Thanks!
Andrea