Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 XC90 Trailer Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2016 XC90 Trailer Brake Lights

Greetings!!

I have a 2016 XC90 and just pulled a Uhaul trailer from MD to MI and everything went smooth except that the brake lights would never work. (Just did the European thing and turned the flasher on every time everyone was coming to a really fast haunt)

Does anyone know if there are any issues or if there is something easy that I am not getting. I am under warranty but i don't have a dealership handy in my current location. Was hoping for the quick easy fix before spending my time with the dealership. I also tried hooking up to other trailers when I returned the trailer this a.m....we had the same issues with every trailer....blinkers, flashers, tail lights all work...no brake lights.

Cheers!

Old 04-15-2017, 07:53 PM

Hello there -

I think the problem is that your software hasn't been updated. You didn't say where you got your hitch installed. With the OEM there is a software update. You will know that you have the update if you see a new option when you go in reverse, you will see a towing button to press where you get a single yellow line with the reverse camera to help you hitch up on your own. Don't know why but not all volvo dealers seem to know about this essential update.

Let me know if you need help with brake controllers. I have spent the last 2 weeks reading about how to set up a wireless controller. Did it today in less than 30 minutes!

Good luck. Glad you made it safe!

Old 06-03-2017, 06:01 AM

CaroleGir, I am trying to get a brake controller for my 2016 XC 90. Both the dealer and RV shop tell me they can't do it. I have the dealer installed hitch and wiring, but the wiring appears to only be 4 wire and doesn't include 12 power or brake control. Would like to know how you did the wireless controller.
Thanks!

Old 06-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Default 2016 XC90 brake controller update - power fixed

12 volt power fixed... Dealer didn't put a fuse in one of the trailer control circuits. CaroleGir, I would still like to hear how you got a brake controller on your XC90.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:06 AM

The only option that I found was to use the Prodigy wireless brake controller by Tekonsha. At first, I was not keen about using a wireless device for such an important piece of safety equipment. Then I learned that the brake controller is hard wired, it is just the handheld override that is wireless.

It is not cheap, the best price I found was from etrailer.com ~$250 which is a lot more expensive than regular units. You will also need a special adaptor for the pairing process that bypasses the Volvo's lamp-out sensor. This is just for the pairing of the handheld to the brake controller itself. You don't need to keep this in place all the time.

On Etrailer the item that I used was C57003. You can also use another car to complete the pairing process but it was easier for me to just get this small adaptor. That way, if I was travelling somewhere and lost the pairing (hasn't happened yet!) I would be able to complete the pairing again on my own. The problem is that the LED light sensor on the Volvo doesn't read the LED trailer lights as voltage is so low. At least that is what I think is the problem.

As well, once you start the pairing process, the steps that Tekonsha tell you don't show the same way on the hand held device. Advice I got from Swedespeed said to just keep plowing through the process and it worked!

The brake controller works very well. Much nicer than the hard wired one I had on my old Honda Pilot. Probably the proportional assist.

Make sure that you can see the change in the backup camera, you should get a different picture with a single yellow line in the center. If not, then the dealer didn't update your software. The single yellow line makes it very easy to hook up. I can do it without my husband.

I hope this works for you. My RV dealer also couldn't do this. They had a trailer bought last year by someone with a VW Torureg who still hasn't figured out the brake controller issue. Trailer is still sitting on the lot!! Wish I had the VW owner's email, I know how frustrated he must be. I know I was very worried about the towing issue. Several towing places were going to hard wire something for me. I just didn't want anyone touching my beautiful new Volvo.

The guys on Etrailer are very helpful. They should be able to help. There is a lot more info on German cars. I made the leap that the Volvo was having the same problem as the German cars were having. And it worked!

By the way, the Volvo XC90 tows very well!