Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 xc90 transmission slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 xc90 transmission slipping?

Hello everyone,
my 2018 xc90 T6 momentum’s trans sounds like it slips when shifting into 2nd gear. I can only explain it in terms of a manual transmission. It sounds like if you rode the clutch out in a manual. If that makes sense. It shifts but the motor stays in a reving range for 5-10 seconds until it fully engages 2nd gear. The rpms don’t shoot up like a slipping clutch but you can hear it not engage. Just wondering if anyone else has had any transmission issues yet? Obviously I’m going to take it in but I’m sure I’ll get the typical “that’s normal “ response. I also have vibration from the rotors that is horrible. The day I picked it up I thought the wheels were going to fly off the thing. They said they have this issue a lot with the Volvo rotors. I did some hard braking and it got better but it’s back again. It seems like anytime it sits in the rain it gets bad again. And what is up with our key fob not knowing who’s driving? It drives me crazy!!! Sometimes it knows it’s me and sometimes it goes to my wife’s settings. I love the car interior and exterior but I feel like the technology sounds good on paper but does not function properly. The screen freezes or takes forever to load or the backup cam doesn’t come on. My adaptive cruise brakes so hard it makes my wife car sick. Sorry for the rant but I’m just frustrated by this car.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:54 PM

Not sure about your transmission issue but we have a 2016 XC90 as well. The key fob thing has to do with whose key is used to open the doors when they are locked. We keep ours in the garage and don’t lock it normally. If I get in with my key after my wife has driven it will still be on her settings. Lock the doors between driver changes to avoid this but that’s the logic.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Default 2018 xc90 transmission

I have an 18 xc90 T6. This is my THIRD one in 3 years. My first was replaced after 2 sets of brakes and 2 sets of rotors were put in before 10k miles. My second one had engine failure at 35k and as of recent my third one at 36705 needs a new transmission. My car can’t seem to find the right gear to be in. TCM replaces, OEM replaced, and now I have a new transmission on order. I’m so upset as I am a loyal Volvo person through and through, but when does one throw in the towel?! I absolutely love my car.... when it’s not in the repair shop.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by JLoDonnell
I have an 18 xc90 T6. This is my THIRD one in 3 years. My first was replaced after 2 sets of brakes and 2 sets of rotors were put in before 10k miles. My second one had engine failure at 35k and as of recent my third one at 36705 needs a new transmission. My car can’t seem to find the right gear to be in. TCM replaces, OEM replaced, and now I have a new transmission on order. I’m so upset as I am a loyal Volvo person through and through, but when does one throw in the towel?! I absolutely love my car.... when it’s not in the repair shop.
Engine failure, wow. We are thinking the same thing. Due to all the trouble we had (we got our 2016 in late 2015 so it was one of the first ones made) Volvo gave us the extended warranty for free and made one month's payment for us. It has been in the shop for over 45 days since we have owned it. We couldn't lemon law it since it was almost always due to recalls in the first year and recalls don't count towards lemon law in Ohio. We still have some warranty left and I'm considering selling it or trading it in sadly. I love the features on the car, the interior is one of if not the best in the business but the reliability has been poor for us. I will never again buy a "first run" car, when we took delivery of ours the memory key system wasn't even activated yet - that came months later through a software update! Sadly this seems to be the norm these days, put the product out quickly and fix it later with software updates.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:38 AM

I feel your pain. I’m at a loss of what to do. Volvo replaced my 2 other cars and I am a Volvo person through and through. I have had the help of an incredible lawyer. I never used lemon law on any of the vehicles. While Volvo is replacing the transmission for me, I was disappointed to hear they felt it was “normal wear and tear” on the vehicle. No car should need a transmission replaced this early on. The mechanic said he tells people steer clear of 16 and 17 and that with 18 and on they are working out the kinks. Here I am with an 18- transmission failure is more than a kink to me. I have driven EVERY SINGLE suv out there. Not one has all of the safety features of the Volvo that we have and rides as nice (and even sporty at that) in the 60k price range. I have considered trading up, but haven’t found a car that makes me want to get out of mine. Tough call and very disheartening. My greatest fear is if the major aspect of the car isn’t working, will the safety features work if god forbid the worst happens? What if this car is truly not made as they market it.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by JLoDonnell
I feel your pain. I’m at a loss of what to do. Volvo replaced my 2 other cars and I am a Volvo person through and through. I have had the help of an incredible lawyer. I never used lemon law on any of the vehicles. While Volvo is replacing the transmission for me, I was disappointed to hear they felt it was “normal wear and tear” on the vehicle. No car should need a transmission replaced this early on. The mechanic said he tells people steer clear of 16 and 17 and that with 18 and on they are working out the kinks. Here I am with an 18- transmission failure is more than a kink to me. I have driven EVERY SINGLE suv out there. Not one has all of the safety features of the Volvo that we have and rides as nice (and even sporty at that) in the 60k price range. I have considered trading up, but haven’t found a car that makes me want to get out of mine. Tough call and very disheartening. My greatest fear is if the major aspect of the car isn’t working, will the safety features work if god forbid the worst happens? What if this car is truly not made as they market it.
What did you think of the Audi Q7? I am picking up an S5 Sportback this week and was thoroughly impressed with the tech on that car and the Q7 has a similar setup (virtual cockpit, full suite of safety systems very similar to Volvo imo). VW Atlas would also be a consideration for us.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:25 AM
Default 2018 xc90 front brakes started squeezing. Car also feel sluggish

[
My 2018 xc90 has the rear brakes replaced as part of "known issue" @ 10k. my fronts started squeezing very badly today and the car is sluggish and almost feels like the brakes are on even when I am not touching the brake peddle.
has any on experienced the sluggish feeling?

thanks

QUOTE=frenchfry675;469208]
Hello everyone,
my 2018 xc90 T6 momentum’s trans sounds like it slips when shifting into 2nd gear. I can only explain it in terms of a manual transmission. It sounds like if you rode the clutch out in a manual. If that makes sense. It shifts but the motor stays in a reving range for 5-10 seconds until it fully engages 2nd gear. The rpms don’t shoot up like a slipping clutch but you can hear it not engage. Just wondering if anyone else has had any transmission issues yet? Obviously I’m going to take it in but I’m sure I’ll get the typical “that’s normal “ response. I also have vibration from the rotors that is horrible. The day I picked it up I thought the wheels were going to fly off the thing. They said they have this issue a lot with the Volvo rotors. I did some hard braking and it got better but it’s back again. It seems like anytime it sits in the rain it gets bad again. And what is up with our key fob not knowing who’s driving? It drives me crazy!!! Sometimes it knows it’s me and sometimes it goes to my wife’s settings. I love the car interior and exterior but I feel like the technology sounds good on paper but does not function properly. The screen freezes or takes forever to load or the backup cam doesn’t come on. My adaptive cruise brakes so hard it makes my wife car sick. Sorry for the rant but I’m just frustrated by this car.
[/QUOTE]

Old 09-09-2021, 03:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission

Transmission slipping? That’s interesting I have a 2016 that sputters lightly and feels like misfire feel when shifting around same rpm. Seems related? It’s around same rpm.
all spark plugs, coils, etc have been done so it’s not engine. I believe this is becoming an issue that’s not too big since these cars are reaching miles slowly so not all will have issues as quick. I have 3 other people in the volvo forum that have the same complaints. Of course when they go to the dealer it’s the “oh I don’t feel nothing no check engine drives fine” Story. Or the other time I went out with the volvo tech he says oh it’s down shifting to save gas like what? So you’re telling me a $70k car will shift like this? It’s hilarious.

Hello everyone,
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Xc9016t6; 09-09-2021 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Missed words
The following users liked this post:
frenchfry675 (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Xc9016t6
Transmission slipping? That’s interesting I have a 2016 that sputters lightly and feels like misfire feel when shifting around same rpm. Seems related? It’s around same rpm.
all spark plugs, coils, etc have been done so it’s not engine. I believe this is becoming an issue that’s not too big since these cars are reaching miles slowly so not all will have issues as quick. I have 3 other people in the volvo forum that have the same complaints. Of course when they go to the dealer it’s the “oh I don’t feel nothing no check engine drives fine” Story. Or the other time I went out with the volvo tech he says oh it’s down shifting to save gas like what? So you’re telling me a $70k car will shift like this? It’s hilarious.

Hello everyone,
[/QUOTE]

my car also does the misfire thing….I’m glad I saw this as I was going to do the plugs and coils to see if it fixed the problem. It seems to do it the worst when the engine is still cold. I was thinking it might have something to do with the supercharger and turbo not being dialed in to be a smooth transition? Over engineered if you ask me…it only makes 316hp just do one or the other!!!
I also went though the front brakes getting changed under warranty at 5k but it came back at 10k so I just did aftermarket recently since they obviously don’t know how to fix it.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:39 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cv640driver
Engine failure, wow. We are thinking the same thing. Due to all the trouble we had (we got our 2016 in late 2015 so it was one of the first ones made) Volvo gave us the extended warranty for free and made one month's payment for us. It has been in the shop for over 45 days since we have owned it. We couldn't lemon law it since it was almost always due to recalls in the first year and recalls don't count towards lemon law in Ohio. We still have some warranty left and I'm considering selling it or trading it in sadly. I love the features on the car, the interior is one of if not the best in the business but the reliability has been poor for us. I will never again buy a "first run" car, when we took delivery of ours the memory key system wasn't even activated yet - that came months later through a software update! Sadly this seems to be the norm these days, put the product out quickly and fix it later with software updates.

A veteran Volvo salesman and good friend, told me to avoid the new 4-cylinder engines manufactured for model years 2015 for the XC60 and 2016 for the XC90. He explained the new engine technology that involved dual force injection had serious problems including an incorrect piston match to the engine. We listened to his advice and purchased 2017 XC90 4-cylinder and 2015 XC60 with the 6-cylinder. That being said, the ol' advice to NOT purchase any first run of a model, is still good advice.