Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket In-Dash GPS/DVD on 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 01:14 PM
ch8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket In-Dash GPS/DVD on 2013?

Hi all does anyone know if it is possible to install any brand (Parrot, Clarion, Pioneer, Kenwood etc...) aftermarket dvd/GPS indash unit in a 2013 XC90.

I am not having much luck finding anything for models after 2009. I am hearing that the 2012-2013 are fiber optic conenctions to the amp so an entire tear out of the audio system would be requied as well as loosing the wheel controls. Anyone have another soultion?

Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
ch8

Ok I did a lot of research and calling on adding an aftermarket Head unit to an XC90.

Here is what I came up with so far any other input/experience would be appreciated.

• Factory harness adapter for fiber optic to analogue – does not exists
  • Add a new head unit and amp and either new speakers or just re-wire from factory doors. Of course you would have to leave factory equipment connected but relocate behind the dash. Very costly
  • Tap into the factory speakers and connect them to the new head unit – you will lose the fade option but will not need to add a new amp or re-run wires to the speakers. Again you would have to leave factory equipment connected but relocate behind the dash. – full detail here jeremytravisvasquezknowscaraudio.blogspot.ca/2013/05/volvo-xc90-aftermarket-stereo.html

Option 2 is good if you do want to add all new equipment and have no limitations on soundquality and control.

Option 3 is the easiest method it seems but you will be losing the fade option and possiblypower to the speakers depending on the HU built-in amp power.

In theabove link you can also find the link to keep steering wheel controls as wellas an Antenna for a new install however I did find fiber to reg antenna adapters on Amazon.

If anyonehas input on finding a wire harness ( I know it is costly) it will be a lotcleaner I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by ch8; 06-11-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:03 PM
ch8
Default Aftermarket In-Dash GPS/DVD on XC90 Solved

Hi all so I did a lot of leg work regarding aftermarket radio installs more specifically double din GPS units on XC90’s and found a solution that allows you to remove all parts of thef actory radio. As you may already know there are solutions out there that require certain parts of the factory radio behind,well no longer.

I found this site company Incartec (www.incartec.co.uk)and they sell all the adapters for the XC90 radio and you can remove every partof the factory radio, over all a little costly and shipping was expensive toCanada but VERY happy. There are no errors and I was able to remove every single piece of the factory radio/amp which meant I had no space issues, getting stuff behind the dash.With by passing the amp I was able to put the new amp under the passenger seat.

This is everything they advised I needed

1 x VOLVO XC90 CANbus Interface - (39-VOL-UNI) In Car Entertainment, Bluetooth & Multimedia fitting solutions and interfaces
1 x Volvo XC90 (03-07) amplifier bypass cable - (20-307 In Car Entertainment, Bluetooth & Multimedia fitting solutions and interfaces
1 x Volvo V70 S60 XC90 PDC Interface - (25-509) In Car Entertainment, Bluetooth & Multimedia fitting solutions and interfaces
1 x Antenna extension 6 Metre - (21-009) In Car Entertainment, Bluetooth & Multimedia fitting solutions and interfaces
1x Hyundai /Kia Aerial adapter to male din plug - (21-130) In Car Entertainment, Bluetooth & Multimedia fitting solutions and interfaces
1x VolvoXC90 Radio Facia Double Din kit (50-860) http://incartec.co.uk/Pages/Product.aspx?P=3381

My car is a 2013 so I would confrim with them parts are the same for other model years.

Important to know that the steeringwheel interface works with the following head unit brands, Alpine, Kenwood, JVC,Blaupunkt, Clarion, Panasonic, Zenec, Eclipse, Grundig, Sony, Pioneer, Becker,

as I wanted to get the Parrot but it is not compatible.

Hope that helps everyone out.

On a side note as speaker information is also limited onlineI was able to fit 6.5 components in the front doors with a mounting depth of 2.5 no problem (installer said 3” would also be fine). For the rears I was able to fit 5.25 mid ranges with 2.81 depth no problem.

Last edited by ch8; 10-04-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by ch8
Hi all so I did a lot of leg work regarding aftermarket radio installs more specifically double din GPS units on XC90’s and found a solution that allows you to remove all parts of thef actory radio. As you may already know there are solutions out there that require certain parts of the factory radio behind,well no longer.

I found this site company Incartec (www.incartec.co.uk)and they sell all the adapters for the XC90 radio and you can remove every partof the factory radio, over all a little costly and shipping was expensive toCanada but VERY happy. There are no errors and I was able to remove every single piece of the factory radio/amp which meant I had no space issues, getting stuff behind the dash.With by passing the amp I was able to put the new amp under the passenger seat.

This is everything they advised I needed

1 x VOLVO XC90 CANbus Interface - (39-VOL-UNI) In Car Entertainment, Bluetooth & Multimedia fitting solutions and interfaces
1 x Volvo XC90 (03-07) amplifier bypass cable - (20-307 In Car Entertainment, Bluetooth & Multimedia fitting solutions and interfaces
1 x Volvo V70 S60 XC90 PDC Interface - (25-509) In Car Entertainment, Bluetooth & Multimedia fitting solutions and interfaces
1 x Antenna extension 6 Metre - (21-009) In Car Entertainment, Bluetooth & Multimedia fitting solutions and interfaces
1x Hyundai /Kia Aerial adapter to male din plug - (21-130) In Car Entertainment, Bluetooth & Multimedia fitting solutions and interfaces
1x VolvoXC90 Radio Facia Double Din kit (50-860) In Car Entertainment, Bluetooth & Multimedia fitting solutions and interfaces

My car is a 2013 so I would confrim with them parts are the same for other model years.

Important to know that the steeringwheel interface works with the following head unit brands, Alpine, Kenwood, JVC,Blaupunkt, Clarion, Panasonic, Zenec, Eclipse, Grundig, Sony, Pioneer, Becker,

as I wanted to get the Parrot but it is not compatible.

Hope that helps everyone out.

On a side note as speaker information is also limited onlineI was able to fit 6.5 components in the front doors with a mounting depth of 2.5 no problem (installer said 3” would also be fine). For the rears I was able to fit 5.25 mid ranges with 2.81 depth no problem.

Brilliant, This is extremely helpful!

You were able to keep the Factory reverse sensors with that adapter?

Also what double-din stereo did you go with, I've been waiting for something with phone/google maps integration to make the jump..

Old 12-06-2013, 12:40 PM
ch8

Originally Posted by tomtoth
Brilliant, This is extremely helpful!

You were able to keep the Factory reverse sensors with that adapter?

Also what double-din stereo did you go with, I've been waiting for something with phone/google maps integration to make the jump..

Hello I am so sorry it took me so long to reply I was caught up with some family matters.

Yes the reverse was integrated fine, the only option/feature option Ilost was the answer/end steering wheel button for phone. The volume and channel skip works fine.

I went with the JVC KWNT-700HDT, it is there top of line model WITHOUT HDRADIO and live traffic. Currently in Canadawe have no HD radio and the live traffic is hit or miss anyway.

I went with JVC because it is the ONLY (I tried Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer) receiverthat allows more then 200 songs/files on a USB stick without setting up sub-folders.

Amp was a Focal 4 channel, CDT components 6.5 + 1 inch tweeters for thefront and 5.25 Focal mids in the rear doors.