Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any 2016 XC90 owners out there

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evening.

I picked up my 2016 XC90 R-Design + Vision package this Saturday (19 December 2016) and have as of yet not experienced any of the software related issues. Neither does it rain inside the car...

I am considering doing a performance upgrade/remap of the ECU with either Polestar or Heico, but I believe that the performance increase is quite modest from both brands. Any one here who has experienced with other Volvo tuning entities? FYG I am located just outside New York City, USA.

Thank you and Merry Christmas

Old 12-27-2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Claus Juel Clement
Evening.

I picked up my 2016 XC90 R-Design + Vision package this Saturday (19 December 2016) and have as of yet not experienced any of the software related issues. Neither does it rain inside the car...

I am considering doing a performance upgrade/remap of the ECU with either Polestar or Heico, but I believe that the performance increase is quite modest from both brands. Any one here who has experienced with other Volvo tuning entities? FYG I am located just outside New York City, USA.

Thank you and Merry Christmas

glad you put a positive to this thread

Old 01-01-2016, 08:23 PM

Had my full Inscription since Oct. It's one of the finest, most advanced vehicles I have every owned. Truly a delight.....so far.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:20 PM

I was in an accident recently because the driver behind me was dozing off. Thankfully nobody was hurt and but the problem my XC90 has been sitting in the repair shop for 2 months now because Volvo does not have the spare parts available. Something to consider. They are so fixed on selling that they don't seem to have a back up plan when their customers actually need parts to fix the car, in case of an accident. Also cameras sometimes come on and sometimes don't, which I think can be a safety issue.

Last edited by jbaang; 01-02-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jbaang
I was in an accident recently because the driver behind me was dozing off. Thankfully nobody was hurt and but the problem my XC90 has been sitting in the repair shop for 2 months now because Volvo does not have the spare parts available. Something to consider. They are so fixed on selling that they don't seem to have a back up plan when their customers actually need parts to fix the car, in case of an accident. Also cameras sometimes come on and sometimes don't, which I think can be a safety issue.
This would be the case with any brand new model.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
This would be the case with any brand new model.
But 2 months seems a bit too long and we are still waiting with no estimated time. Just hope it is resolved soon.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:50 PM

Our 2016 XC90 was 3 weeks old when it died. Displayed multiple errors and instructed us to stop. Car was taken away on a flatbed.

I'll repost when I find out what's wrong with it or when it gets repaired.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 2016xc90er
Our 2016 XC90 was 3 weeks old when it died. Displayed multiple errors and instructed us to stop. Car was taken away on a flatbed.

I'll repost when I find out what's wrong with it or when it gets repaired.
It was loose wiring, presumably to or from a steering sensor. Also received additional software updates. Not particularly impressive thus far.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:11 PM

This is a follow up to my previous post about our XC90 allowing us to drive off without the key present. Apparently the car came with a 3rd small key fob that we were not aware of. I kept reading about it in the owners manual on my iPad and decided to look for it. I found it in the glove box with the paper copy of the owners manual. It has been in there the entire time we have owned the car. So now we can't drive off without a key present and the car acts as expected in that regard. Still strange that once we got somewhere with only the small fob present we couldn't start the car but who knows.

Has anyone heard anything about when the driver memory key system is going to be working? They told me at one point that is was coming in a software update in week 43 of production but they didn't know what week of production they were even in at that point.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:51 AM

I have had my XC90 T6 for about 6 weeks. Had software issues from day 1. Got the software update mid December and things seem to be working now in that regard. While on a road trip this weekend, lost ALL sound-nav, radio, signals, warning signals, etc. Dealer identified it as a bad diode in the radio (there's a technical bulletin on it). Have to make a 600 mile return trip home in silence.

Beginning to rethink my purchase...

Old 02-10-2016, 03:29 PM

Hello. I'm new to the forum and have been in search of feedback on the MY16 XC90 from enthusiasts.

Any updates from folks that have posted on this thread in the past?

Old 02-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Default XC90 been in shop more than at my house

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one. The dealership keeps telling me they sell hundreds of these and mine is the only one that keeps coming back like its me being so demanding to expect my new car to do what they told me it would do. All software related: received system error messages that they TELL me are not real only ghost message; telephone connectivity, CarPlay won't work, voice commands are not recognized, system connection errors....endless stream of glitchy issues.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:57 PM
Default Odometer different from trip.

Originally Posted by xc90firsttimer
I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one. The dealership keeps telling me they sell hundreds of these and mine is the only one that keeps coming back like its me being so demanding to expect my new car to do what they told me it would do. All software related: received system error messages that they TELL me are not real only ghost message; telephone connectivity, CarPlay won't work, voice commands are not recognized, system connection errors....endless stream of glitchy issues.
I haven't had any issues and hope I don't. The only thing I have noticed that is unusual is my odometer reading is about twenty miles less than Trip M (TM). They started out the same last week when I bought my XC90.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:02 AM
Default Utterly unimpressed

2016 XC90 T6 Inscription

1. Car was manufactured without air suspension despite ordering and paying for it, so also no drive mode selector, Volvo reckon it can't be retro-fitted.

2. No memory setting function on key fob.

3. Engine is gutless. Got the Polestar upgrade, still utterly underwhelming (Volvo will rue the day they elected to go with 2L 4Cyl across the fleet).

4. Voice activation has about 15% accuracy rate. Nav commands always result in music searches!

5. Sports mode only available WITHOUT ESC - Crazy!

6. Sensus is wildly overrated, too many interactions to achieve simple functions, takes my eyes off the road (so much for Volvo safety...).

7. 360deg parking view intermittent.

8. Auto park function so bad it scratched the 20inch Rims.

9. Satnav mapping data such as speed limits less than 50% accurate.

10. Factory running boards are so narrow they're useless, can't even fit the ball of my foot on them.

11. Can't permanently turn off Start/Stop function, nor permanently set a drive mode profile.

12. Mind blowing how you can drive off without your key because the Valet fob is in the glove box (where else do you stash it?).

Given the exorbitant price, we really regret buying this car and so wish we could hand it back.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:26 PM

So my question is would you buy the 2017? Hopefully they figure out the bugs?

Old 05-06-2016, 08:13 AM
Angry Scared to drive my 2016 XC90...

Bought the car in Mid November 2015 and it has been in the shop more than I have had it.... Software issues galore. They just replaced the center screen module hoping it would take care of these issues and I got it back this past Monday and by Tuesday night the center screen started going blank 2x in a row and by Thursday late afternoon the anti collision system had kicked and scared the bejesus out of me for the 3rd time. The software hasn't functioned properly from the get go. The dealership had been fantastic in dealing & addressing this but after 5 go around a I'm done with this car. Every time we drive it a new or old issue pops up. We have had the key fob issue, error messages, anti collision system going off at unexplained times, car shutting off entirely while driving!! This is not amusing stuff and it makes me feel crazy as I truly can't figure out how the car should work!! Volvo Sweden is involved now and I await answer as to whether They will take this car back. They say they haven't seen any of these issues sure glad I did my research!

Old 05-06-2016, 08:50 AM

yes I have had a similar issue and it has happened 3x that the anti collision has kicked for no apparent reason to me. 2 weeks ago the anti collision came on in the middle of a 4 lane road as we were approaching a light. It is very scary when this happens. We didn't have the issue with car not moving after but have had the car completely shut-off while driving with all the screens going blank. I have had car since end of November its a momentum T6 and the shop has seen it more than me. All software issues according to Volvo of Sweden. We are on the 6th time that the middle screen keeps blanking out etc etc etc... waiting on Volvos decision today to see if they will take it back. I am scared to drive it!!

Old 05-06-2016, 07:27 PM

We haven't had any issues with the anti collision going off on ours (2016 Inscription) or the screens all going blank or the car turning off. However, I took ours in for an oil change and was told the there was a Sensus update available and that they would install that for us. That was Wednesday (it's now Friday night) and we still don't have our car back. They had to order a new part since the car wouldn't talk to the dealer's computer to install the update. Who knows when we'll get it back. The last time this happened it was 22 days. We do really like the car but I definitely feel like we are beta testing it for them.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Default Problems with 2016 XC90 T6

We have had nothing but problems with this car since we bought it at the end of January this year. It has been at the shop for 7 days since we have had it over several shop visits. First the gear shift kept posing problems where it wouldn't let me shift in reverse without a significant time lag. In addition the radio and AC/heat system kept throwing software errors. I took the car in for this and they first did a software update which helped a bit but then they had to order another entirely new gear shift to replace the one we had. Then on two separate occasions the trunk lift door opened unprompted. The first time when the car was in drive while I was sitting at a stoplight and the second time when the car was in reverse and I was pulling out of a parking spot. Needless to say this was super concerning as it is a major safety issue. Volvo North America sent their own engineer to the local dealership to meet with me on the trunk issue. The engineer said he is aware of two or three other cases of the trunk tailgates opening unprompted in the U.S. He ended up replacing the entire electric assembly in the tailgate. It's been two weeks since this repair and it hasn't opened on its own again yet but I am still too nervous to put anything valuable in the back of the car. We used to fold the seats down and have our dogs sit in the back area but we won't be doing that now for fear of the tailgate opening and them getting injured. Well now the radio is acting up again and Volvo says there is some new other software update coming out that I am waiting for them to install. Oh and the brand new gear shift assembly is having the same problem as the previous one where intermittently it won't let me put it in reverse until three attempts and a significant lag. The car is back in the shop for this and now I'm driving a loaner sedan. It sucks to pay this much for a luxury vehicle and just have to drive less nice loaner cars. We are looking into lemon laws now as this is just unbelievable. At this point we just want our money back so we can get a safe and reliable car. anyone else have issues with the gear shifter or the tailgate?

Old 05-10-2016, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by CChi1031
We have had nothing but problems with this car since we bought it at the end of January this year. It has been at the shop for 7 days since we have had it over several shop visits. First the gear shift kept posing problems where it wouldn't let me shift in reverse without a significant time lag. In addition the radio and AC/heat system kept throwing software errors. I took the car in for this and they first did a software update which helped a bit but then they had to order another entirely new gear shift to replace the one we had. Then on two separate occasions the trunk lift door opened unprompted. The first time when the car was in drive while I was sitting at a stoplight and the second time when the car was in reverse and I was pulling out of a parking spot. Needless to say this was super concerning as it is a major safety issue. Volvo North America sent their own engineer to the local dealership to meet with me on the trunk issue. The engineer said he is aware of two or three other cases of the trunk tailgates opening unprompted in the U.S. He ended up replacing the entire electric assembly in the tailgate. It's been two weeks since this repair and it hasn't opened on its own again yet but I am still too nervous to put anything valuable in the back of the car. We used to fold the seats down and have our dogs sit in the back area but we won't be doing that now for fear of the tailgate opening and them getting injured. Well now the radio is acting up again and Volvo says there is some new other software update coming out that I am waiting for them to install. Oh and the brand new gear shift assembly is having the same problem as the previous one where intermittently it won't let me put it in reverse until three attempts and a significant lag. The car is back in the shop for this and now I'm driving a loaner sedan. It sucks to pay this much for a luxury vehicle and just have to drive less nice loaner cars. We are looking into lemon laws now as this is just unbelievable. At this point we just want our money back so we can get a safe and reliable car. anyone else have issues with the gear shifter or the tailgate?
No issues with either here. What trim level did you get (Inscription here)? It seems like different trim levels are having diff issues. I totally agree with you on driving the loaner, we paid to drive the car we purchased not one of the dealer's loaners (mine has been @ the dealer for 6 days now for an oil change and software update).

Quick Reply: Any 2016 XC90 owners out there