Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any 2016 XC90 owners out there

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xc90 power steering failiure

Just took delivery of 2016 Volvo xc90 (momentum manufactured in January 2016) was on my way to home from the showroom when warning message pops up " Power steering failure . Please top". Steering becomes harder and
had to put some effort to bring the car to hard sholder.Vehicle is at the showroom now and waiting for an update from Volvo technicians . Hope its not something serious

Old 05-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Default We are having all sorts of issues....

Originally Posted by CChi1031
We have had nothing but problems with this car since we bought it at the end of January this year. It has been at the shop for 7 days since we have had it over several shop visits. First the gear shift kept posing problems where it wouldn't let me shift in reverse without a significant time lag. In addition the radio and AC/heat system kept throwing software errors. I took the car in for this and they first did a software update which helped a bit but then they had to order another entirely new gear shift to replace the one we had. Then on two separate occasions the trunk lift door opened unprompted. The first time when the car was in drive while I was sitting at a stoplight and the second time when the car was in reverse and I was pulling out of a parking spot. Needless to say this was super concerning as it is a major safety issue. Volvo North America sent their own engineer to the local dealership to meet with me on the trunk issue. The engineer said he is aware of two or three other cases of the trunk tailgates opening unprompted in the U.S. He ended up replacing the entire electric assembly in the tailgate. It's been two weeks since this repair and it hasn't opened on its own again yet but I am still too nervous to put anything valuable in the back of the car. We used to fold the seats down and have our dogs sit in the back area but we won't be doing that now for fear of the tailgate opening and them getting injured. Well now the radio is acting up again and Volvo says there is some new other software update coming out that I am waiting for them to install. Oh and the brand new gear shift assembly is having the same problem as the previous one where intermittently it won't let me put it in reverse until three attempts and a significant lag. The car is back in the shop for this and now I'm driving a loaner sedan. It sucks to pay this much for a luxury vehicle and just have to drive less nice loaner cars. We are looking into lemon laws now as this is just unbelievable. At this point we just want our money back so we can get a safe and reliable car. anyone else have issues with the gear shifter or the tailgate?
We bought ours in November 2015 and it hasn't been right from the moment we left the lot... 7th time Volvo trouble shooting (they have had it more than I have) they have now offered us a brand new one but I am leery as the anti- collision went off 3x for no reason driving down the highway. Tailgate randomly opens and sometimes only opens half way nothing ever works the same twice, gas mileage is atrocious, car has randomly shutoff while driving and the screen goes out while driving and there are a plethora of other problems too long to list ..I'm scared to drive it.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:43 PM
Unhappy More Annoyances

[QUOTE=rpiopio;426656]Hello. I'm new to the forum and have been in search of feedback on the MY16 XC90 from enthusiasts.

Just signed up for the Forum and after reading some posts I guess I can only describe my issues as Annoyances as I have not (yet anyway) experienced any potential serious safety issues but here are my "beefs":
1) Can't get out of the car without the engine cutting off. Sometimes I want to do simple tasks like stopping for the mail but engine shuts right off.
2) Can't open the passenger door just to get something without the center display unit coming on and the radio playing for several minutes on its own.
3) Using steering wheel control to change the preset radio station and not going to the correct station.
4) Tailgate not opening using the foot movement option.

Like I said nothing earth shattering but certainly nothing you would expect based on the price of the vehicle and you would think, if software related, would be fixed by now.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Exclamation Car is 2 days old

Dealership received car Thursday night. I received car (2016 XC90 Momentum with Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate w/HUD, B&W, booster) Friday night. First real drive on Saturday, it's raining. The automatic windshield wiper sensor malfunctions. Error pops up telling me to take it in for servicing. Sunday, I notice on my return trip that BSI not working, rear cross traffic not working and cameras not working. As I'm parking and trying to figure it out, computer reboots 2 times. It's Sunday, hopefully someone can help. First thought is, should have gotten the Q7 like I wanted.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Fd2di4
We bought ours in November 2015 and it hasn't been right from the moment we left the lot... 7th time Volvo trouble shooting (they have had it more than I have) they have now offered us a brand new one but I am leery as the anti- collision went off 3x for no reason driving down the highway. Tailgate randomly opens and sometimes only opens half way nothing ever works the same twice, gas mileage is atrocious, car has randomly shutoff while driving and the screen goes out while driving and there are a plethora of other problems too long to list ..I'm scared to drive it.
Volvo stepped up to the plate and replaced the lemon XC 90 Momentum with exact same car as Lemon except the color and the vision pkg. They did the right thing but it was a monumental hassle and had to jump through lots of hoops.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:23 PM

We purchased our XC90 in November of 2015, already it has had the front brakes and discs replaced twice with just under 6000 miles on the odometer, the fuel tank had to be replaced as when filling with gas the fuel pump would not let you fill up with more than 1/2 tank, the collision warning comes on intermittently for no apparent reason, the center console and dash go blank. We just got the vehicle back after being back with the dealer for 15 days and low and behold the front brakes sound like they are gone again, so another trip back to the dealer, although this time I'm not sure I want the vehicle back as I'm concerned about my family safety with the brake issue.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gneilson
We purchased our XC90 in November of 2015, already it has had the front brakes and discs replaced twice with just under 6000 miles on the odometer, the fuel tank had to be replaced as when filling with gas the fuel pump would not let you fill up with more than 1/2 tank, the collision warning comes on intermittently for no apparent reason, the center console and dash go blank. We just got the vehicle back after being back with the dealer for 15 days and low and behold the front brakes sound like they are gone again, so another trip back to the dealer, although this time I'm not sure I want the vehicle back as I'm concerned about my family safety with the brake issue.
Are they squeaking? Squeaking brakes are an annoyance, not a safety issue.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:28 PM

squeaking and grinding, the dealer has replaced the pads and discs twice now as they were faulty, sounds like a safety issue to me

Old 06-10-2016, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Theres bulletins for updated pads and rotors. Its possible the rears are still squeaking, since the updated rotors are not available until the end of the month. Grinding and squeaking are totally different things though

Old 06-11-2016, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Fd2di4
Volvo stepped up to the plate and replaced the lemon XC 90 Momentum with exact same car as Lemon except the color and the vision pkg. They did the right thing but it was a monumental hassle and had to jump through lots of hoops.
Glad they gave you a replacement. Please let us know how this one behaves...

Old 06-14-2016, 05:28 PM

Picked up my XC90 on 5/31. Great looking car. Loved it until today, about 700 miles. A/C goes out, no air coming out vents, only on top of dash. After turning on defroster & resuming AC, cold air returns. Loud squealing from brakes when stopping. Sounds like this is commonplace for this car.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:37 PM

I'm so frustrated. While I love my 2016 First Edition XC90, we have had continuous problems with it since we got it end of June 2015. Now it's in the shop for another week and counting. It's been in the shop for over 23 days since I purchased it about a year ago. Has anyone had any luck with lemon law repurchase? (I'd be wary to get another XC90 until they work the bugs out.)

So far, in the year since we got the car, we have had no camera function (fixed), no functioning sound (even turn and emergency signals) (fixed after two weeks at the shop), two strange incidents when the car just turned itself off in traffic (unresolved), low battery warnings without explanation (hopefully being fixed), broken air suspension (hopefully being fixed now). It's just such a drag because I really like everything about my car but the never ending glitches and bugs. I'm concerned it's going to break on me in the middle of nowhere or there will be a serious safety issue while driving.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:00 PM

My 7 month old XC90 Momentum Plus has been at the dealer for 5 days now. Their computer won't talk to my car (that's how they put it) and so the technician is in contact with engineers at Volvo on the east coast which limits the time frame of work that they can work together (we're on the west coast). I had the latest software updates done in May and last week the voice control stopped working completely and navigation guidance quit in the middle of a trip, I don't think the heat/air has ever worked properly but the AC turned full blast at the same time, there may have been other functions that went out with the voice but I wasn't going to check each app/function out, just went straight to dealer. While no voice control may seem an inconvenience, I consider it a safety issue - I don't want to fiddle around with the center touchscreen while driving! Now I've read through other owner posts and I'm going to be afraid of the car suddenly stopping mid-drive. Also, they've given me a 2016 XC60 as a loaner and the first thing I noticed was the silence - no rear selt belt buckles rattling against the trim because the seats look wider (?) and trim starts well above where buckles naturally hang.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:24 PM

I bought my XC90 2.5 months back and have this squealing noise while applying breaks. It does not happen everytime but once I drive it for 30 minutes, it starts. I live in Canada and its summer so no rusting issue.
I called the service and they said its a known problem and they will call once a permanent fix is available but 3 weeks now and nothing yet.
Its highly embrassing to drive a new car thats worth more than 75K in Canada and makes a sound like a 15yr old truck

Old 06-25-2016, 10:12 PM

Hi Guys

I am thinking about trading my 2015 XC60 T6 in for a 2016 XC90 T6. After reading this thread, I am a little concerned that their computer unit/software still have some bugs to be fixed.
One question I have is, how much are people paying or discount are people getting with those XC90. It was a hot car about 6 months ago and not much discount was given. But there are plenty of them in dealer stock now, plus with those small issues, i imagine dealers are more willing to give discount now.
Please share the info. Your help will be much appreciated.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by xc90firsttimer
I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one. The dealership keeps telling me they sell hundreds of these and mine is the only one that keeps coming back like its me being so demanding to expect my new car to do what they told me it would do. All software related: received system error messages that they TELL me are not real only ghost message; telephone connectivity, CarPlay won't work, voice commands are not recognized, system connection errors....endless stream of glitchy issues.
You should research you state's Lemon Law. In my state, more than two unresolved safety-related problems, more than four non-safety related problems, or more than 30 days in the shop, cumulative, put the Lemon Law into effect, meaning possible refund of purchase or new replacement.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:42 AM

Hi All

I want to first apologize for stealing this thread to ask for a favor.

My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a XC90 Momentum with a MSRP of $54000. We are trying to figure out the true market price of the car right now. Not much information was shared on the other thread. Since all the members responded here are current owners. I thought maybe you guys can help. Do you mind sharing your purchase information on the 2016 XC90 pricing thread? How much discount %, or price paid, the dealer, date of purchase. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by yxc145
Hi All

I want to first apologize for stealing this thread to ask for a favor.

My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a XC90 Momentum with a MSRP of $54000. We are trying to figure out the true market price of the car right now. Not much information was shared on the other thread. Since all the members responded here are current owners. I thought maybe you guys can help. Do you mind sharing your purchase information on the 2016 XC90 pricing thread? How much discount %, or price paid, the dealer, date of purchase. Your help is greatly appreciated.
You should start a new thread and not hijack an exiting thread. But from what I know, discounts are not that big currently. Demand is pretty strong.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:42 PM

Purchased a 2016 XC90 two weeks ago in Chicago. Mine's a fully loaded black Inscription model and I bought it slightly used. It was the Volvo area rep's demo car. All software patches are up to date and the service record is pretty clean. I've actually put 2,000 miles on it in 2 weeks (3 road trips) and I've got no MAJOR complaints and no software bugs. Maybe they've got this thing sorted now?

Here are my two minor complaints: 1) I suspect the front disks are ageing prematurely. 2) The rear gate is a hair off when it closes making it "clunk" a bit (once the car kept complaining that it was not closed). I've got an appointment with the dealer on July 5th to get these taken care of. If they stand up for these issues, and I expect they will, I'll be pretty close to 100% pleased with this purchase decision.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by jrtthx
Purchased a 2016 XC90 two weeks ago in Chicago. Mine's a fully loaded black Inscription model and I bought it slightly used. It was the Volvo area rep's demo car. All software patches are up to date and the service record is pretty clean. I've actually put 2,000 miles on it in 2 weeks (3 road trips) and I've got no MAJOR complaints and no software bugs. Maybe they've got this thing sorted now?

Here are my two minor complaints: 1) I suspect the front disks are ageing prematurely. 2) The rear gate is a hair off when it closes making it "clunk" a bit (once the car kept complaining that it was not closed). I've got an appointment with the dealer on July 5th to get these taken care of. If they stand up for these issues, and I expect they will, I'll be pretty close to 100% pleased with this purchase decision.
I am also in Chicago. May I ask which dealer you purchased the car from? what percentage discount did you get on this demo?

Quick Reply: Any 2016 XC90 owners out there