Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent axle from a collission

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent axle from a collission

Hi all. New guy here. Searched and couldn't find anything so I hope my first post doesn't repeat a previous thread.

Here's my situation. A month ago, my wife and I purchased a 2006 XC90 with 36,000 miles that we have really enjoyed so far.

Unfortunately, last week, some clueless woman pulled out of a parking lot into through traffic and rammed into the side of my wife's new-to-us car. (Fortunately, my wife and kids were fine.)

The body damage is pretty ugly, but that's only half of it. The wheel is jacked up and the axle is clearly bent.

Currently, the car is at the body shop and then goes in for mechanical repairs after that. Before the mechanical work commences, I am trying to figure ahead of time what other parts/assemblies might be damaged in relation to the messed up wheel and bent axle, so that I can make sure the right repairs are being addressed and the right items are being inspected.

Any thoughts on what I should add to my "to watch for" list when talking with the shop and the claims folks? Also, are there some things that I should absolutely demand be factory parts as opposed to others?

Thanks for any help you can provide this sad XC90 noob.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was upto me, I would ask for all Volvo parts. The insurance company might just redflag that request as they are in the business of saving money on claims, but I would argue that the car had Volvo parts prior to the accident. I used to work for a dealer and every once in a while we would have someone ask for OEM brand parts when their car was being fixed, and the best argument I heard was "well the car had HONDA parts prior to your client hitting it. Why should I take aftermarket parts because she didn't pay attention",lol.. The adjustor stopped and eventually signed off on that. The guy asked for an itemized list of all parts prior to the work being done to make sure they didn't skimp out. I learned from that guy. If it was my car I def. would ask for an itemized list and ask what percentage will be OEM. Good luck with your Vehicle.