Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new 2019 XC90 rear ended on day 2 of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brand new 2019 XC90 rear ended on day 2 of ownership

I'm so angry I can't even see straight...

I got a brand new 2019 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription right off the boat from Sweden 2 days ago. Navy blue exterior, blond interior. Beautiful car. All the things I wanted on a car. It was custom ordered. Top of the line model. My first car I ever bought on my own. I was in love. Car has a total of 30 miles on it.

Day 2 of ownership. Don't even have permanent tags yet. Sitting at a red light that had been red for some time. I look up in my rear view mirror just in time to see this car speeding toward me down the hill and slamming into my bumper probably going between 30 and 50 mph. Didn't have time to react. Props to my Volvo. The thing is a tank. It didn't move an inch. It braked itself, put its hazards on, and Volvo OnCall came on immediately. So awesome the features work. I think if I had been in another car or on my bike, I would have been seriously injured or killed. God bless Volvo.

I get out and find that the lady who hit me is in her 80s. She has reminders about how to drive on the dashboard. Someone like that has no business driving. If you have elderly parents, get them off the road, please. I'm so angry. This could have been avoided. Someone like this should not be driving. If you have elderly relatives who probably shouldn't be driving, remind them that it's one thing to injure/kill yourself, but an entirely other thing to injure/kill another person. I called 911 for police/EMS to come because she is elderly and the airbag deployed and she probably totaled her car. Police took one look and filed the report that she is at fault. She admitted total fault.

Anyway, I guess I seek advice. The indication on the screen says "Reduced Engine Performance." Driving the car home from the accident, it lagged/jumped on the hills for a second or two. The rest of the damage is bumper and sensors as well as a nice dent in the trunk door. God knows what else. I'm waiting on insurance to figure out the next steps.

Is it worth arguing for a new replacement car from insurance? I have full coverage and the car literally has 30 miles on it. Or will the car ever be the same with fixing it?

Thanks for advice.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

I think you are asking two questions 1) will an insurance company give me replacement value for my car since its so new? 2) Will my car ever be good as new? For question 1, that is something you need to ask of your insurance company. Most simply look at the cost of the repairs and only offer replacement value when the cost of the repairs exceed the car's value. The fact that it only has 30 miles on it may not change the fact that its still a used car... 2) will your car ever be as good as new? This really depends on the extent of the damage. If you simply have bolt on parts that need to be replaced, then the likelyhood is yes. If you need to have body panels bent/filled and painted to match, then there is some risk over the long term that the paint may not last as long or weather differently. There is also the problem that your car even if correctly repaired will lose some resale value as the accident will show up on a CarFax.

What I'd do is the following:
1) demand all the repairs be done at a Volvo dealer with genuine Volvo parts
2) work with your insurance company on compensation for things like out of pocket expenses (rental/loaners) as well as lost resale value
3) check with an attorney about your state's laws on accident claims (ie no fault rules)? You may need to litigate to gain some compensation for lost value or to have the insurance company accept a buy back
4) check with the dealer to see if they would work a buy back with the insurance company.