Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Fill My Tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Fill My Tank

I have a 2004 XC 90 5 cyl. Turbo... I can not fill my tank. At multiple stations the fuel shut off continues to stop the flow -- not even able to put half a gallon before it shuts off. I am not using the set points on the pump but am running the flow manually. I have tried moving side to side, up and down, and moving the handle in and out of the gas tank.

Please help!! It is taking 10 min. just to put 5 gallons in the tank.

Thanks,

JJ

Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 PM

Some stations are finicky with the pumps. Sometimes you really need to feel the handle. It happens to me alot when I'm pumping into a jerry can. Try to squeeze the handle very light just when the flow starts, and hold it there, Always works for me.

Other then that, I'm pretty clueless.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:00 PM

This happened to our 09 S80 (so your not crazy). Ours would only do it at the end, last 2-3 gallons, but it would take 5 minutes to get there. The fix was to replace the fuel tank. Ours is a plastic tank that the vent is molded into, the rollover flap at the top of the vent was closing prematurely, cutting off flow. Hope this helps ya, you know how angry these cars get if you dont fuel them up

Old 09-24-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by VileSmile
Some stations are finicky with the pumps. Sometimes you really need to feel the handle. It happens to me alot when I'm pumping into a jerry can. Try to squeeze the handle very light just when the flow starts, and hold it there, Always works for me.

Other then that, I'm pretty clueless.
Thanks for the input, but I am doing completely by hand -- vary the flow speed and how / where the spigot goes into the tank. Not even able to get half a gallon before the pump shuts off

JJ

Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 PM

The post about replacing the fuel tank makes sense to me although honestly I'm not very experienced with Volvo, having really only worked on my own.

2004, I don't suppose it's still under warranty. I took the liberty of checking a few parts websites. FCP is a pretty big source for Volvo parts, and then don't carry a tank.

All in all. Get it looked at, a least a professional visual inspection, no jiffy lube guys, a real Tech. We can speculate but it can be hard to diagnosis a problem you can't see or interact with ( or at least that's usually my problem. ). After that you can assess what the vehicle is worth to you. If it's a great ride you could'nt part with (and if the price is right), fix it. After all XC90 is a nice ride.Otherwise it might be a better idea to trade it out for something else.

One mans opinion.

Last edited by VileSmile; 09-24-2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: wording.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:58 PM

Same here, the fuel will start backing up in the filler pipe when the tank is over 3/4 full. When the pump shuts off I wait till the gas drains into the tank before resuming.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Unfortunately, I don't the tank will be covered. Your best bet is to just replace it and not have to worry about it anymore.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:40 AM

That sounds weird..
Is not the filler neck a separate part of the gas tank that can be removed?
Isnt the "stop" part of the neck?
I dont know anything about the xc 90 but why would a gas tank would not allow gas? Vents?
I would do a very thorough search all over the internet before changing a gas tank..
Just my humble opinion..

Quick link http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15682

There seems to be some problems with the 2004, fuel pump, gas smell, etc..

Last edited by Elchopperfreak; 10-01-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:09 AM

Hi there,
This thing happened to me twice during two years of ownership, I am only able to fill my 2008 xc90 3.2 half full, when the pump shuts off. I think it's clogged vents. Anyway, Iam taking the car to the dealer for service next week, see what he has to say and I will get back to you soon.
Also has anybody had a heated dashbord problem?

Old 10-01-2011, 10:00 AM

Elchop, In our case it was the rollover flap at the top of the vent that was bad, closing prematurely. The tank is plastic and the vent is molded into the side, so the only way to fix it was to replace the tank. Ours was covered under warranty.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by ARchitects
Hi there,
This thing happened to me twice during two years of ownership, I am only able to fill my 2008 xc90 3.2 half full, when the pump shuts off. I think it's clogged vents. Anyway, Iam taking the car to the dealer for service next week, see what he has to say and I will get back to you soon.
Also has anybody had a heated dashbord problem?
ARchitects,

Have not had issues with the dash board, but will be very interested in hearing what the dealer has to say about your gas tank issue.

JJ

Old 10-06-2011, 08:38 AM

JJ Joe,
My xc90 was at the dealer yesterday, they filled up the tank to the top, empty it and refill it again, surprisingly, nothing happened. They suggested driving it for some time to check it out. What I also learned is that the vents of the fuel tank are not in a place visible, reaching there means they have to undo the back seats and other internal sheathing. I was expecting that to happen, because as I have mentioned before, that the fuel tank problem occured only twice in a period of 2 years of ownership.
However, I will keep you posted.
Goodluck with yours.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Former Sponsor

That is a shame that they could not find an issue with the fuel tank. At least it only happens once in a blue moon.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 PM

im not sure where your from but in CA the pumps are designed to not let exxess fumes into air which in turn activates the auto shut off sensor on pump.just hold pump in the tank for a few seconds and resume.taking your car to dealer will not do anything maybe there is a sreen in the gas tank to prevent would-be gas siphoners but really taking car to dealer wont do much other to tempt fate that som sob will rip you off of money have you do unnescesary "repairs".