Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control sometimes

Hello everyone. I am a new user and have been searching for an online self help Volvo forum and believe that I have found it! I am a ASE diesel mechanic and this is my first Volvo. I have an 05 XC 90 with all the options (Kids demanded the screens in the seats!). Recently my AC has been working intermitantly. Sometimes the clutch will not engage. The clutch will not cycle as the charge is correct. Some days when we start the clutch will work and the AC cools just fine and some days the clucth refuses to engage at all. I have tried to manually move the clutch in and it will still not engage. I have also cleaned the mini-relay and the small vent in the cabin. Just now I have disconnected the battery and will leave off for 1/2 hour. I was hoping that someone on here would have an idea of what the trouble may be. I am thanking everyone in advance.
We just got back from a short vacation. It has 105,000 miles. I have read all the posts about the ac problems, my problem fits none of them. My wife dont understand why I cant fix it and I tell her because its not a cut and dried problem. For example:
Sunday would not work at all, could not get the compressor to engage.
Monday worked all day, long drive at highway speeds and then all nite around town stop and go.
Tuesday worked all day stop and go short trips.
Wednesday worked all morning and then on the long highway drive home would cut out for ten minutes and then cool for a while, cut out for ten minutes etc. Towards the last hour of the drive home it worked all the way.
Thursday, today, worked all day.