Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cylinders rich cambers 1,2 & 3 no engine codes? please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cylinders rich cambers 1,2 & 3 no engine codes? please help!!

XC90 2.5T B5254T 2004 duel VVT

this is what ive done so far,

cylinder head rebuild - relapped valves, skimmed head, new valve stem seals, set valve tolerances

Replaced coils with IPD ones

New Bosch Spark Plugs

rebuilt exhaust system

new thermostat

new timing belt and tensioners

now here is my problem i have no engine light error codes - i removed the coil packs and spark plugs

and discovered that chambers 1,2 & 3 are Rich too much fuel and carbon build up in center of piston

chambers 4 & 5 are dry what i would like to know is what is causing this

when i did my cam alignments i set the cam locking tool and locked the cams in the horizontal position

in relation to the cylinder head then turned the VVT cams clockwise as far as they would go then

loosened the sprockets and using a piece of metal strapping aligned the timing markers with the timing

cover alignment marks the bolts in the sprockets were roughly in the center of the oval positioning holes

then set the crank pulley to TDC

now the only thing i wasn't sure of was the tensioner as i wasn't sure on this model if it was supposed

to be set in the 2 o'clock position or 7 o'clock position so i put it to 7 o'clock also on the VADIS program

it says when the cams are set up the exhaust should be advanced and the intake should be retarded

like a V-shape

but the locking tool only holds the cams on zero position???

here is something else - i had a misfire in cylinders 2 & 5 which turned out to be a blocked PCV system

which was solved when i replaced it now in the mean time i thought it might be the fuel rail so i got

a xc90 2006 fuel rail from the scrappy but what i didn't realize is that the injectors on the 04 are C rated

and the 2006 are A rated .. when i had this fuel rail on all my chambers were rich and now that i have

put the 04 rail back on only cylinders 1,2 & 3 are wet number 3 is the worst so IM suspecting three of the injectors

are leaking

i am at a loss as to what this could be and would really appreciate some help

thanks for your time

Chris Andrews