Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving without drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 04:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving without drive shaft

Hi All, First time user. Last summer I bought a 2006 XC90 for my kids to drive around although I discovered that I really like driving it too! Earlier this week I was stopped in the dirt shoulder and a little snow off the side of the road. When I accelerated to get back on the road there was a loud thunk and then the sound of loose metal parts in a tumbler. Turns out the drive shaft from the front to the rear differentials broke. My mechanic (not a Volvo dealer) removed the broken shaft and has told me that he doesn't see why I can't drive it around without the shaft as a front wheel drive car while he looks for a used replacement shaft at junk yards. Not being real familiar with the car and its quirks I am a little hesitant but it sure would be helpful if I or my kids could drive it this week. Does anyone see any problems with driving it around with out the drive shaft?

Old 04-30-2022, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For starters, the vehicle is complex, and was designed for all-time-all-wheel-drive. Driving it in any other... what I'll call: "configuration" will put an unbalanced stress on the front-half of the drivetrain.

So I would say that this isn't optimal.

However, I do know of people who have removed the rear-propshaft for other diagnostic reasons. There wasn't any concern in doing this in a limited role...

But I would advise doing it if you have a 40 mile commute to work... For a week...

I would think that doing so in light-duty driving, for a few tens-of-miles... shouldn't hurt too much. But any more than that, and I'd be renting a car while you wait for the part...