Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evap Hose chewed by mice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap Hose chewed by mice...

Ok.. We have had a used 2005 XC90 2.5 for about a month. The day before a 1,000 mile trip, the check engine light came on. We called the Volvo dealer (it came with a 3 month warranty) and they asked about the gas cap etc. We always turn it a bunch of times.Yada yada.. They said as long as it's not acting funny, go ahead and drive it and bring it in when you get back. We went about 1,800 miles total and brought it to Volvo the day after we got back. They called us later and said mice had chewed through the evap hose. That it would cost $900 to fix it. The part is $30 and the rest is labor, since they have to drop the gas tank. they said our insurance should pay for it, State Farm sent an adjuster who OK'd the claim. Mice?? They said it was Field Mice and there was a nest behind the back seat. We travel with our two dogs and split the back seat so they can get through to the back. We never saw any evidence of mice. Plus, we keep 3 cars in our driveway and have never had a mouse problem. I've set traps but haven't caught anything. We have three cats patrolling out there
My question is, how important is this Evap Hose??? What if it happens again? I doubt our insurance will pay again. Can it be driven if it does get chewed again? We didn't notice any difference in performance or gas mileage while driving it with the chewed hose.
Is this a common problem with this vehicle??
Thanks so much for any info..I'me seeing mice and dollar signs in my sleep.

Last edited by rspi; 04-30-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its actually a problem with any type of car. its kinda weird that they went after the evap hose. they usually go after electrical wires. you probably wont see them unlsees you find the nest. the evap hose will keep causing a check engine light and fuel economy will go down over time.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not familiar with your vehicle but that labor charge sounds outrageous. The problem with hoses and wire insulation is that on modern vehicles they often incorporate soy-based materials which make them irresistible to rodents. Or so I've read. Another reason to keep the old clunker running.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if he took it to the dealer then the labor rate is usually $120-$150 depending on where you are and sometimes even more. and seeing as how the majority of it was labor im assuming the car is awd which means you have do a lot more work to drop the tank.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by damien360
well if he took it to the dealer then the labor rate is usually $120-$150 depending on where you are and sometimes even more. and seeing as how the majority of it was labor im assuming the car is awd which means you have do a lot more work to drop the tank.
Lots of assumptions there, friend.

But you can be sure the dealer will always take the most expensive approach to fixing a problem. For example, the book might say five hours labor to replace the complete hose when it would take ten minutes to splice and replace the chewed section. But you'll never know unless you get under there and look for yourself.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:08 PM

Well.. the insurance said they will pay $830. The dealer said they would accept that.They originally said $900. Yes, it is AWD and they have to drop the gas tank. So we'll have it back in a day or two. I bought some spray (Rat repellant) to spray in there. There was evidence of a mouse nest and chewed foam under the back seat when they took it out, so I'll set a trap inside the car. Nothing else I can do. If it happens again, we'll just drive it with the check engine light on. The mice obviously aren't into Swedish cars because our old Saab 900 has been sitting in the driveway for 10 years and they haven't chewed that Thanks for your replies! Appreciate it.
BTW.. I had a typo. It's an XC90. Sorry.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 PM

EVAP hose is important. Fuel economy will go down the tube. Not to mention you'll get a wiff of gas fumes now and then yourself, specially on a hot day.

Sounds rather odd that mice for the fuel line. As already mentioned, they usually like to chew electrical and insulation. I've towed cars out dirt lots in Riverside, Oxnard etc., and have found rats nest in engine bays and fender liners. Really nasty.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:14 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Rodents can destroy a car in a matter of days, usually cars that are parked.

With you car, they cleared out once the car was moved. My guess is that the damage happened before you got the car. The light was likely reset and took a little while to come back on. You will likely see your mileage go up after you get the vehicle back. I don't think you'll have any more problems.

A friend of mine has a MB that has not been driven much because she has a lot of kinds and takes the family in a large van. Anyway she was taking the dog to the vet and put the dog in the car and went inside to get something. When she got back the inside of the car was trashed, the dog shredded the seats. Insurance covered the cost and right was the dealer finished the work they found mice behind the dash. Another $6,500 worth of damage, $13,500 total. The insurance would not cover the mice damage because it was missed as part of the dog damage.

Chip munks destroyed a truch that my brother-had parked. Ate all the wires under the hood, all the way down to the firewall.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Birder
Well.. the insurance said they will pay $830. The dealer said they would accept that.They originally said $900. Yes, it is AWD and they have to drop the gas tank.
The game is charge the book time and do the job as quickly as possible.

You can almost guarantee the tech will figure out a way to do this without dropping the gas tank. e.g. Use a snake and drape the new hose across the tank while leaving part of the old hose in place.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by louswheel
EVAP hose is important. Fuel economy will go down the tube.
Nope. Fuel economy is unaffected. All the EVAP system does is contain (and burn) the gasoline vapors that were vented to atmosphere in the good old days.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM

Thanks guys for all your replies. I feel a little better now. But was not surprised at RSPI's comment that the damage happened before we got the car, the light was re-set and then came back on. I told my husband I thought that was the case. Can't prove it though. The video looks just like the motor of our old Datsun pick-up that's been sitting in our woods for 15 years. No one can get it out of there anymore, so there it sits.lol Only we have snakes in it, too. And thanks to migbro. That made me feel a LOT better. In case it happens again.. Which I doubt)
Appreciate all the info. You're the best!