Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel cap door and boot will not release

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel cap door and boot will not release

Hi

I have a late 2004 D5 2.4 XC90 in the UK, and initially the rear boot will not release (remains locked) - when trying the boot, nothing happens. The rear wiper is intermittant in working and now the fuel cap door will not release.

Now I can live without the boot and wiper for the time being but the fuel cap is kind of fundemental!!!!

Looks like an electric issue but any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Pete

Old 01-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't know much about the diesel XC90 in the US (unfortunately), but the electrical systems should be identical across the power plants. There's another current thread about a fuel door which isn't opening, and the culprit appeared to be a broken gear in the actual lock piston. This is accessible from the cargo area after removing some interior panels. There are instructions in the owners manual on how to manually bypass the lock in order to fill up.

But, the fact that the rear hatch and wiper aren't working at the same time may point to a fuse, of which there are approximately 1 million in the XC90. Here's a link which points to an electrical document for 2005 XCs and V cars.

http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/2008...wiring-diagram

It's very informative. I noticed that there are a few fuses for "REM" or Rear Electronics Module. I'm not sure what all that covers, but locks would make sense.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Dirk

Old 01-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Default Help please

Thanks Dirk

Looks not to be fuses - can get to the catch from the inside for the fuel door release but seems to be flimsy plastic and no matter what I do, does not see to budge. Am afraid to move it too hard and snapping it off completely. Also when starting car/trying to remote unlock the tailgate, there is electrics to it. Can feel the motor trying to do something.

There does not appear to be an internal release for the rear tailgate? If I could get it open, maybe easier to get to the fuel door from the inside, as oppose to the side door. Thought it might be due to the freezing temps at the moment but even trying to heat them up does not seem to work....

It's getting urgent now as fuel is down to fumes and desperately need the car for next week - Any further ideas ????? Nearest Volvo dealer is over 30 miles away......

Cheers

Pete

Old 01-09-2010, 01:06 AM

Here's the page from the 2004 manual.

https://www.customers.volvocars.com/...0_02a.htm#pg34

But, it seems you have already approached it this way. I read about someone actually removing the fuel door lock mechanism by unscrewing it from the inside. A pretty simple solution which removes the lock entirely and allows you to examine the lock for the defect.

I checked VADIS and see that the trim panel over the rear lock (on the inside) does reveal the locking mechanism. It's possible that the lock is firmly stuck or that the motor which unlocks it has become detached. Of course, you still have to pull off the covers to get to it, so it's back to climbing over the rear seat...

Old 01-10-2010, 05:03 PM

Incidentally, on my '05 there *is* an internal hatch release lever...

Old 01-12-2010, 01:14 AM

Where? Have you got a picture? Managed to get the manual release done for the fuel cap....eventually, with a big screwdriver!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's the hatch release on my '05, can't really miss it if it is there.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel cap door and boot will not release-100_0810.jpg  
Old 01-12-2010, 03:55 PM

Yup. That's a better picture than the one I took this morning, but that's what I have, too.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:14 AM

Yeah you're right, that would have made things a LOT easier - sadly not got that on the back of mine but thanks anyway guys

Pete

Old 01-20-2010, 01:23 AM

I have a 2001 Audi TT Audi TT roadster, 87,000 miles. I love the car, but like all cars, things happen.

Open your checkbook, It is the command module , under your back glass, where the top goes , you will see a small door cut into the felt. Mine got wet and started a whole chain of events.

Seal that Window Good. 800$ repair to replace the comman module.

1. Windows were going up and down 1/4" all random times.
2. The Gas Release and Trunk Release buttons stop working
3. Alarm would go off at odd times.
4. Trunk would not open automatically.

To open the Trunk, behind the passenger seat is a small box, open it with you key and you will see the manual trunk release

To open your gas cap, on the passenger side of the trunk, you will see a small felt opening under the gas cap. Open it and pull back decently hard and the gas cap will open.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:22 AM

if you just want to fuel it you can use a thin screwdriver to lever the CL pin back. look at the flap where the finger moulding is. there's a small pin that comes into it from the back of the car. you can use a small screwdriver to pry this back and it wont move again until the C/L is back online. you can bend the flap but it usually marks the paint.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 AM

Thanks harris777

"To open the Trunk, behind the passenger seat is a small box, open it with you key and you will see the manual trunk release"

It's a right hand drive XC90. Are you talking about the front passenger seat?

Thanks

Pete

Old 10-17-2011, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the info on the gas cap door! My electrical system failed and your post helped me open the door so I could gas up and get to a repair shop.