Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel milage and squeak

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel milage and squeak

I just bought my 05 XC90 in November (the smaller engine, not the T6). I love the car but I am surprised that I am only getting around 12.5-13.0 mpg driving in the city based on the computer (with light highway travel included). BTW, I am using premium gas. Is this commom for a car that is rated at 18mpg city?

Also, I have a squeak that is coming from one of the rear seats, but can't figure exactly where. When, I put the back seats in the down position, the squeak goes away. BTW, I have the 5 seat version, not the 7 seat car. Thanks for any input.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:22 AM
Default RE: fuel milage and squeak

Looked at the website and it shows 18 MPG for the 2.5T without AWD. Do you have AWD? If you do, this would drop the rating down below 18MPG easily.

But, what you might want to try is to verify the computer by actually filling the tank, setting the trip to 0000, drive till the tank is nearly empty of fuel, fill the vehicle up at the same pump if possible, then divide the miles driven by the gallons used for a true average 3 or 4 times.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:49 AM

slaz,

have you managed to trace the squeak yet?

i had a similar squeak from my centre row. it was not coming from the cargo cover.

i managed to trace it to my centre seat (the one with the built-in booster cushion for children).

i banished the squeak by moving that centre seat about an inch forward.

hope this helps you (i realise it may not because i think the 5-seater version does not have individually sliding rear seats).

Old 02-23-2006, 04:23 PM

Join the club. I have a 2006 XC90 2.5t (non AWD) with 1000 miles on it. I'm getting
around 12 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. My problems is
that 95% of my driving is in the city. I called volvo and was told to
wait until 5000 miles to allow the engine to break in. Not satisfied
with this advise, I called the service mgr and scheduled a fuel
consumption test. They basically checked the computer for faults and
checked for fuel leaks. They then filled my tank and took it for a
road test. Guess where they road tested it? You guessed it, on the
highway (23 mpg). I was told to monitor the next 3 full tank
fills/odometer/trip reading and do manual calculations. Then, if still
not satisfied, take it back with receipts for further eval.

Good luck. Let me know if you find/hear about anything.

gis514@bellsouth.net

Old 02-24-2006, 03:50 PM

I have a 2006 XC90 2.5t non AWD. I'm on my third tank from full to empty and get 13.2mpg. I have 1500 miles now. The city mileage truly sucks. The highway miles however are as advertised or a bit better 23.5mpg. I'm looking for someone who shares my issue and found a dealer fix for it.

Old 02-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2005 V8 - around 13 mpg in city traffic, 20.5 -21mpg highway. Was like that from the beginning. I am using regular 87 octane gas.
I think the mileage depends mostly on the weight of the vehicle - before Xc90 my wife drove Pilot w/ 6-cyl. 3.5L motor and was getting 13.5-14 mpg. Now getting atround 13 mpg with 8 cyl. 4.4L engine -Volvo XC90 is heavier then Honda Pilot, that's why more gas needed to move it. In my experience w/ both Pilot and xc90 mileage did not improve after "break-in". If you drive in Manhattan, NY, you will not get any more then 12 mpg even w/ 5 cyl. ( I think you'll get less).

Old 05-12-2006, 05:42 PM

'05 2.5T AWD. Just passed 12K miles. City mileage never seems to pass 12 - 12.6 mpg. Use 10-30 synthetic oil, mid-range unleaded fuel, tire pressure 36 psi, and just my wife and me aboard. Cross country mileage is usually better at 21 - 23 mpg.

City mileage is worse than my previous Jeep Grand Cherokee Hi-output V8 which never went below 15 mpg in the city, no matter how often I would put my foot in it. I wonder if there is a programming fix or some TSB addressing this? Tech, are you aware of any?

Thanks.

Oh, by the way, I have had the squeak, but resolved it by moving the child seat forward one click from the full back position. Had another squeak in the tailgate, but resolve it by lightly lubing the springs on the plate that covers the gap between the carpet and the tailgate plastic surface using a silicone spray.

Old 12-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Default RE: fuel milage

Terrible fuel mileage continues. I now have 10k miles, fully broken in engine, and I continue to get 13.5 mpg in the city. I live in Miami, Fl and ofcourse there are now mountains here. We deliberately drive conservatively to check the mpg and no improvement. We reset the odometer and manually calculate mpg and still 13.5 mpg. Routine maintenance completed and tires maintained. Still 13.5 mpg--less than a Hummer!!!!

Has anyone found a solution to this issue shy of trading it in for another car.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Default RE: fuel milage

Check tire pressure -loaded should be 39 psi. I keep 39 anyway to keep tires from "cupping". When tire pressure is low, it gets more rolling resistance.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:42 AM

Prospective SUV buyers should be aware thatthe XC90 AWD gets less than13mpg in the city (not 18 mpg as advertised).If fuel milage is an issue, I strongly suggest that you consider a Toyoto hybrid model as I will do the next time I'm in the market for a car or SUV. I hope that Volvo gets with the program and improves the milage of the XC90.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:46 PM

new member here.
was searching for something else when I came across this.
Its old, I know.
I just bought a 2007 xc90 v8 sport awd and get 11.7 city.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:26 PM

New member as well, 2007 XC90 3.2. Just turned 9000 miles and am also getting ~13 mpg. in town. Better on the highway but so what. Have taken back to dealer twice. They have done an ECM Gasoline Update to the computer twice, which was supposed to help. Seemed like it was better for a while after my 4500 mile oil change. Dealer says everything is normal. I'm pretty upset. Would have never bought this car if I knew I would be getting 13 and not 18. This is my third XC ('98 XC70 and '04 XC70).

I'm going to make some noise with Volvo North America...................

MJK

Old 10-25-2007, 10:52 PM

Hello to both pantablo and mjkboston,
I take fuel economy very seriously as do a few others (not many though). I would say to visit www.fueleconomy.gov to see what other drivers with similar vehicles have been getting. I did a quick check of the 07 XC90 3.2 and found a driver averaging about 17.5 mpg 25/75 city/hwy so its possible. Here are a few tips given by another member here. It was posted in the S60 forum but it applies to any vehicle. I will add that tire pressure should be checked frequently. If you aren't at 35 or above, you're losing out. If you follow some of this advise you will definitely notice it next time you fillup. Enjoy.

ORIGINAL: LoveMyS60

Ahh.. Gas Mileage...

I've been focusing on squeezing more MPG out of my cars for a couple years now, partly due to a desire to reduce my carbon footprint, mostly due to the cost of gas.

Here's some things I've learned. Not advice, not debate, just some things that I feel comfortable enough with to consider "facts"

1. People want more mileage, but they don't realize that their poor mileage is almost always an indication of the way they drive their car. (Assuming a newer car with advanced computer systems and proper working order). The fact is, that any given car has a WIDE, WIDE range of gas mileage, it all depends on the driver.

2. The average driver wastes SO MUCH gas in city driving. SO MUCH IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY. My personal postulation is that we could cut our need for foreign oil if people wouldn't drive like morons.

3. You have to change your city driving habits AND your highway habits to increase your MPG. Neither is enjoyable or easy. You also have to buck the "peer pressure" of somebody riding your *** to get you to go faster. I've made a nice bumper sticker that I had on my previous car -- Get Off My ***, I'm Saving Gas

4. You can drive 55 on the highway everywhere you go. If you don't drive differently in city traffic, it will make NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL to your MPG.

Now, about the S60 specifically:

5. Synthetic oil will improve MPG VERY, VERY SLIGHTLY.

6. Premium Gas will improve MPG more significantly than Synthetic oil, but not as much as you think. Also, there's a ceiling. Going from 91 to 94 isn't going to produce an improvement.

7. Running your air conditioner will cost you 3-7 MPG (Edit: At highway speeds)

8. Running with your windows down & sunroof open costs 2-6 MPG (Edit: At highway speeds) due to increased drag

9. Running with additional weight (cargo or passengers) will reduce your MPG. Get rid of dead weight in the trunk (if you've got junk in there)

Now, how I changed my problems:

I drove "per habit" for a while after I got the s60, enjoying the performance. I was getting 21.5 MPG. I've increased it to 27MPG. Here's what worked for me:

10. I set cruise to 65mph on the highway. I work in Michigan which has a 70mph speed limit. Oh well. People pass me. Who cares. I'm young--24--it took me a while to reach this zen, but now I love watching people go insane over 5, 10 mph.

11. This is THE MOST IMPORTANT: Accelerating quickly away from stops is HORRIBLE. Horrible!! I accelerate as lightly and slowly as possible. I drive looking way down the road. I'll cost 1, 2 miles (with as little gas as possible) if there's traffic / stop light ahead. I **** PEOPLE OFF behind me as I pull away from stop lights. I don't care.

My computer tells me that I have 27mpg, give or take a few tenths at any given time. ONE HOUR of city driving where I accelerate fast, etc, KILLS, JUST KILLS it. One hour can lose me 1mpg off the average. And that average is a month of driving.. about 2 thousand miles.

I can't tell you how many people slam the gas to get past me and then stop ahead of me at the next light.

Also, even if you don't think you're driving fast, you're probably still sacrificing gas milage.

My rule is 2k rpm. Pulling away from stops, I dont let the engine speed go higher than 2k rpm. It means I accelerate very slowly. But I maintain gas milage.

Of couse, I still have fun sometimes. I still sometimes drive 105 on the highway. I still sometimes drive fast in city traffic. But I try to be responsible with my gas mileage. Remember, for every gallon of gas, you're putting more than 15 pounds of gasses into the atmosphere.

This works for me. Your Mileage May Vary