Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

correlation between clogged gas filter,performance and milage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default correlation between clogged gas filter,performance and milage?

Hi guys, i just wanted to know...because i bought my car a few months ago, i don't know when the fuel filter was last changed. I took a look and i can't even see the "bosch" logo on it anymore. Anywho, when i changed the spark plugs, the old ones looked brand new, usually, they should be a brown color right? anyways i was thinking that maybe the fuel filter is a little blocked and not supplying enough fuel? if it isn't giving enough fuel, what would be the symptoms and how does this affect gas milage? I'm getting around 550- 600km on a full tank (before the gas light comes on)..is this the average? i have a 1995 850 GLE wagon (10 valve).
thanks fabs

Old 09-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: correlation between clogged gas filter,performance and milage?

Some symptoms would be hard starting, lack of power (especially at higher speeds), rotten gas mileage, and various other gripes. A dirty air filter can cause issues too. I always tell my kids when they are troubleshooting a problem, you need air, fuel, spark, and it all must occur in proper time for an engine to run smoothly.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: chef

Hi guys, i just wanted to know...because i bought my car a few months ago,I dont know when the fuel filter was last changed.

If you dont know then change it. Easy to do and is inexpensive.

I took a look andI cant even see the "Bosch" logo on it anymore. Anywho, when I changed the spark plugs, the old ones looked brand new, usually, they should be a brown color right?

If they look new or newer then they may have been changed just before you bought the car. Its good that theyre not browned, one less thing to worry about. Did you check the gap of the plugs while you had them out?

AnywaysI was thinking that maybe the fuel filter is a little blocked and not supplying enough fuel?If it isnt giving enough fuel, what would be the symptoms and how does this affect gas milage?

You may get some sputtering and sluggishness on acceleration

I'm getting around 550- 600km on a full tank (before the gas light comes on)..is this the average?

If you do a bit more highway than city driving, then yes. And for such a heavy car thats some good milage.

I have a 1995 850 GLE wagon (10 valve).
thanks fabs

Cool.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-18-2008, 09:50 PM

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments... So i always thought that a spark plug (if running properly) should have a light chocolaty color to it? this is why i found it odd that the ones i have in there look brand spankin' new.. strange, i was worried that the engine is running lean, then i thought it may be due to the gas filter is clogged and needs to be changed... strange.
Hey Quick Brick... what is your gas milage on your car? In terms of driving habits, i don't drive with a lead food, we do however, drive into the city every morning and there is quite a bit of stop and go and it's about a 20 minute drive on a good day and an hour on a bad one. I once drove strictly highway at a good speed and got over 650 km on a tank. I'm convinced my tank has been changed... to fill up it takes about 50 liters... and it should have about 70 right? does it make sense that it has a 20 liter reserve(after light comes on)???
thanks
fabs

Old 09-19-2008, 10:13 AM

Hello Chef,

For the plugs, Im sure they were almost, certainly changed before you bought the car.

Hey Quick Brick... what is your gas milage on your car?

Milage is around 500km - 600km per tank. I run mostly in town with very little highway these days but I do recall having 280km to go, according to the trip computer,and drove to Pembroke and still had 270km to go when I got there and the trip is about 45km. The Anvil always gets great milage on the highway and this is one of the reasons that Im keeping this car for some time as Im sure that commuting is in the near future.

I once drove strictly highway at a good speed and got over 650 km on a tank.

This isnt uncommon especially when travelling in areas with few really big hills over long distances. My 95 Grand AM - 5 speed - could go from Arnprior, ON, to downtown Montreal and make it all the way back to Stittsville, ON. before I really really needed gas, and that was around 660km round trip and at a speed of 100kph or better all the way.

Im convinced my tank has been changed... to fill up it takes about 50 liters... and it should have about 70 right? To fill up it takes about 50 liters... and it should have about 70 right?

Give or take, depending how low you let the tankgo.

The Volvo 850 fuel tank, according to the owners manual, is 73 litres. Even when the trip computer said that I had less than 10km left in the tank I could only get about 71 litres into the tank.

Hope that this helps.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-19-2008, 10:31 AM

Hey QuickBrick....Well, i guess in terms of milage i am where i should be. Your car has a trip computer? cool...how come mine doesn't have one? sigh...haha i just have the time and outside temp. Only once when driving did the gas light come on and i had about 630km on the clock...not too bad. I think i should fill up a cherry can with gas, fill up the tank and drive till it dies out just to see how many km's i've done.
I know what you're saying about the Ontario to MTL trips. IT's funny cause going one way you get good milage and the other way you get less due to head-winds. Pretty interesting.
I like the way the car feels and drives on the highway..it's responsive driving on "econo" and more peppy on "sport" i wondering how she'll handle in winter time...any tips?? which reminds me i have to get winter tires, any recommendations? i was considering Nokian's reallly good tires...
Where abouts are you in Ontario? do you ever come up to Montreal? if you do, let me know...ciao
fabs

Old 09-20-2008, 03:57 PM

Yep! And now I can see it at night. Not counting the Garmin nRoute Navigation on the laptop.

Is it that you going down hill one way and up the other?

Winter tires? Get a set! And steel wheels as well if you can. Im currently planning for next summer and a new set of wheels.

Renfrew Ont. Its a great big honkin town. I havent been back to Montreal in some time but I plan on a concert or two by years end.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-20-2008, 04:29 PM

Hey ...i don't know if it's the whole uphill downhill thing, it could be or just when you hit open fields? i don't know..
For the tires, i'm looking into it..i was thinking about nokians, i know they're amazing tires, maybe studded too..not sure (too bad their illegal in Ontario...ha ha)...hihi
i came across a set (i posted a pic in this site) of mags and tires i came across but don't know if they'll fit my car (they're for a 240 model).
If you do come to MTL let me know, we can meet up? cool? what concert BTW if i may ask.....
fabs

Old 09-20-2008, 06:20 PM

Not really sure yet.

There seems to always be something happening so Im keeping a look online.

Im sure Ill find something and if not then just going for smoked meat is a good drive.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]