Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

Have a xc90 2005 2.5t and pulled a 0027 and 0089 code. Have a whistle noise on start up but then it goes away when engine gets going. Smoke out of dipstick. I did the oil trap change before when I found oil under the top cover around the coils. Still burns a lot of oil though. Oil is accumulating here by dipstick on tube. Any ideas to why I am going through oil? And why the codes? Thanks. Fixing today so desperate for good info.
Name:  20160311_0954371_zpszqkl3k6l.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  209.0 KB

Last edited by revjim; 03-11-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:01 PM

I got the same thing going on. That tube appears to the Intercooler, and with that much oil, my impression is that Oil is passing the PVC oil trap, and the Air filter may need to be cleaned/replaced too.

Suggestions from the various searches seem to maybe suggest there is a crack in the intercooler, and seems a lot people swap all that out with clean new hoses. I think I seen one poster where they are going to rebuild the Turbo, (since that person took the motor out of the engine bay.)

I have my tubes sitting in a bucket with simple green, working on it. until I can get some definitive suggestions. The clamps are a 7mm socket.

I got lucky, My local dealership had a free winter checkup, I went in with my grocery list of items that I knew was wrong, and they helped determine some issues I hadn't known about. They also have a high mileage club where repairs/parts are 20% off. (over 150,000mi) My next attempt to get more free info, will be an oil change. They will analyze any computer engine warning for free. (At least my location will, White Bear Lake, MN)((I could be wrong, It doesn't hurt to try))

I have noticed that there are a lot of unanswered questions on this site, let me know if you having better luck someplace else?

Last edited by arfstrom; 03-11-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:32 AM

So where do I go from here???

Old 03-13-2016, 12:37 AM

I suspect its a combo problem, I ended up in this next link, and found interesting info, as well as other considerations like the turbo rebuild. I dont' think I will do that, but it is nice considerations, while our vehicle is kaput.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...t-87270/page2/

This is the most info I have ran into. It is kinda current (Feb 2016)

So where do we go from here, I think we have to piggy back onto others, and still post. There seems there is moderator with an interest. I guess like anyother BBS or Forum zone, If no one knows they dont pipe in. It would be nice if there were answers to questions that someone would just ask, and then solve, and they dissapear. That stinks too.

That doesnt' answer your question. I would/have gleen info from here. I have bought the PVC Oil trap stuff for my first atempt at fixing my issue. (seems like its yours too) Then I am going to make an appoint ment with my dealership for an oil change, and ask them to checkout the check engine light on. Then ask them if I am in the old car club for the 15 to 20% discounts. My dealership had a free winter checkup. I would check your local dealers web site, and see if tehy have any discounts to make it worth your while. Rember you can get quotes, and then that is a straight up good info. IE my shop told me, my oil trap is clogged. So I am going to finish that project up, and replace the air filter, now that I know it is part of the PVC stuff (not directly).

Good luck
(My experiences with forums is with a motorcycle site, Love it, 3 super strong mentors, and they weigh in on just about everything.)