Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with air filter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with air filter replacement

Hi I have a 2006 XC90 5 cylinder turbo.

It has about 30K on it and I wanted to change the air filter. I ordered a replacement from IPD. The air filter housing has three metal spring clips that I unsnapped to access the old filter. I disconneced an electronic connector going into the top of the air filter housing and unsnapped the three clips. I pulled the old filter which had leaves and lots of black soot on it. I cleaned out the air filter box and put in the new IPD filter which looked very close to the OEM but did not have Volvo on it. The problem is that I could not get the top of the air filter housing unit on correctly. There seems to be 3 plastic bars on the top housing piece that needs to slip into three slots on the back of the bottom part of the housing. I loosened the hose clamp connecting the top of the air filter housing and that allowed some pivot, but I could not angle the housing to go in correctly. I also could not disconnect the housing from the long black pipe as there seems to be 2 torx like screws with a metal post inside of the star pattern that required a special wrench. I even tried putting the original volvo fiter back in an I still could not get the top housing in correctly, so I do not think that it is an incompatability wiht he IPD filter. Any suggestions would be great.

Scott

Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help with air filter replacement

I just replaced my filter and it was hard to get the housing back together and I did have a volvo filter. What I had to do was get the top angled so that the three bars are ready to slide into the slots then pushdown on the filter like you were going to snap the metal clips shut but with a flat tipped screw driver push down on the bars so that they slide into the slots. That was all I had to do and then it went together fine.

hope it helps a little.

K.