Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with rear dvd

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help with rear dvd

2005 xc 90 with rear dvd system will not turn on. It's the one with dvd player in center console, and monitor in headrest. I have the remote which looks beaten up and missing buttons, but put new batteries in and cannot turn the dvd player on. Fuses are good. Not sure whats wrong! Need a new remote for this thing to work??

Old 01-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brbell76
2005 xc 90 with rear dvd system will not turn on. It's the one with dvd player in center console, and monitor in headrest. I have the remote which looks beaten up and missing buttons, but put new batteries in and cannot turn the dvd player on. Fuses are good. Not sure whats wrong! Need a new remote for this thing to work??
I've done some reading on this and I would start by replacing the remote. If it works can you post back....thanks.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:16 AM

Well, i have verified the remote does work, but player still wont power up? Problem with cords in center console?

Old 01-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a power button on the dvd unit itself.but also should work if u insert a dvd.
ive seen most of the time it ends up being the dvd unit. this setup has a audio module and a dvd module but both can cause it not to turn on.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the audio module i think is made by sony. but would check for voltage at the connectors on both modules to start

Old 01-27-2011, 07:06 PM

So it would appear as if no power is getting to the DVD module itself. I put a multimeter to the power and ground terminals of the wire harness that plugs into the back of the DVD player, and nothing. Need to replace the whole wire harness?

Old 01-29-2011, 12:05 PM

UPDATE!!!!! I got it to work!!!!! After hours of research, found a 3rd fused point which did have a blown fuse! Replaced it and everything works awesome! If you are in the cargo area, the RIGHT side panel comes out to reveal a fuse for ONLY the RSE system!

The following 3 users liked this post by brbell76:
jma2zoh (04-19-2022), Perry Harvey (03-14-2020), photojames (01-05-2023)
Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the update. It's nice to see people follow up after a solution is found. It helps others in the end and that's the whole idea behind these forums.
Good job!!

Old 12-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Unhappy 2007 Volvo XC90 Rear Seat Entertainment System

We just got a 2007 Volvo XC90 with the rear DVD player. Screen in each headrest with the DVD player in the center console. For some reason when we picked it up the driver's screen came on and the DVD player began flashing. OF course no mechanics were in so will be taking it back Saturday to get looked at. Wondering if anyone has any idea what may be the problem. Can't turn anything off.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by muskrat1973
We just got a 2007 Volvo XC90 with the rear DVD player. Screen in each headrest with the DVD player in the center console. For some reason when we picked it up the driver's screen came on and the DVD player began flashing. OF course no mechanics were in so will be taking it back Saturday to get looked at. Wondering if anyone has any idea what may be the problem. Can't turn anything off.
I want to swap the above set in my 06' XC70, possible? secondly I really want to install a DVD for my 3 little girls, any suggestions, appreciated.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:03 PM

I have a 06 XC 90 and my dvd player (arm rest) turns on by remote but the dvd won't catch (when trying to insert the dvd) that is the only problem. Any ideas how to fix it. I can flip it between screens, but if it catches I believe that it will work.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by glenwyatt
Thanks for the update. It's nice to see people follow up after a solution is found. It helps others in the end and that's the whole idea behind these forums.
Good job!!
Indeed. I had the same problem with RSE ..after extensive research I thought it was the DVD harness itself so I changed that and nothing .. There are three fuses as mentioned above however the culprit is found on the right rear side of the XC90. You must remove the triangle foam carpet on the bottom right side then remove the side panel. At the bottom there are two individual fuses and are covered each in its own capsule the closest one to the frame is the culprit . 10A fuse . This one is not in any diagram . As you see in the pic the green one is the 5A fuse and the left one is the 10A . Open the capsule fuse is underneath .

Attached Thumbnails Help with rear dvd-image.jpg  
Old 08-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Default RSE Fuses

Originally Posted by brbell76
UPDATE!!!!! I got it to work!!!!! After hours of research, found a 3rd fused point which did have a blown fuse! Replaced it and everything works awesome! If you are in the cargo area, the RIGHT side panel comes out to reveal a fuse for ONLY the RSE system!

Thank you so much! I bought my 2006 XC90 FOUR years ago and had all the fuses checked and the wiring to the DVD but never got it working. Also bought two remotes and nothing worked.

I was reading this forum because I was trying to install a back up camera and re-visited the DVD player issue, found the two hidden 10 and 5 fuses in the right rear cargo area and that was it, fixed it!! All this time spent and it was a one dollar fuse that fixed the whole thing.

A note that the DVD player does not turn on with the DVD button, I had to use the remote.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 AM

You are more than welcome. I had plenty of help myself through this forum. i am glad this information was useful.
Kind regards,

Nathan

Old 03-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Default 2006 XC90 RSE dead

Reading through this thread and my manual I have:
1. New batteries in the remote, held it up to the camera on my phone and verified that I can see the IR light glow
2. Checked the 7.5A fuse in spot #4 on the drivers side rear fuse box
3. Checked the 10A fuse in the rear passenger side compartment
4. Checked the 4A fuse in the DVD unit in the center console

NADA No power to the DVD unit

Where do I go from there?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Default Dvd xc90

Ok, in this case it has to be the harness. It runs through the mid floor under the console. You can buy it online and I beleive it runs around 120$. The harness is the black cable runs from the back of the DVD through the elbow of the console all the way down to the floor. Its not that har to replace: plug and play approach. once you remove the entire console (two screws on bottom rear then engage handle and it will slide out) you can take out of the car this way you would have ambple roorm to take it apart. if you need directions on how to take it apart shoot me an email and I will send it to you.

Nathan
oralmaxfacial@gmail.com

Old 03-08-2015, 12:44 PM

I have a the dvd player in the console and the screens all work and I can get disc to go in but it doesn't read and play the dvd. Does it most likely need a a new dvd player or is thier some weird known fix for this also? Your help is appreciated,thanks!

Old 03-10-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Baker
I have a the dvd player in the console and the screens all work and I can get disc to go in but it doesn't read and play the dvd. Does it most likely need a a new dvd player or is thier some weird known fix for this also? Your help is appreciated,thanks!
Hey Ryan,
1. Assuming that this is the case on several DVD's?
2. Give this or something similar a try - $5 and 5 minutes is really worth it to me, if it's just the laser lens that is dusty
3. Listen - when you first put the DVD in, at least mine, you could hear the laser zipping its way across the DVD. Is yours doing the same?

Ultimately if the unit is bad, you'll need a metric Torx driver set, a Phillips screw-driver and 10 minutes to swap it out for one you find online or at a junk yard.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:52 PM

Thank you guys!!!! I have the same situation - but in reverse -- I want the system OFF! My wife left the sunroof open and it rained into the vehicle.... I was away on travel (in Mexico) and she calls me to tell me her car wont start. I get home a few days later and investigate --- took 10 mins to jump - it was DEAD... finally got it started and the battery recharged. When I turned it off, I noticed the DVD player was blinking on/off (the lights in the buttons). Pushing them or using the remote would not work. Also the driver-side headrest was on.... Net-net, this is what drained the battery. I started to pull the "logical" fuses to get this system powered down - but nothing really worked. I found this forum, and you guys saved the day ---- that silly-little 10A fuse in the back right side (undocumented by Volvo) was the key. Pulled the fuse and off it went... night night. Thanks again everyone....

Old 04-01-2015, 08:08 AM

This Forum saved my *** from the stealership many times. I am glad we are able to give back.

Quick Reply: Help with rear dvd