Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lights on Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights on Radio

I have a 04 T6 and the lights on my radio have gone out. Meaning the the numbers that you would push for a preset station. I thought I saw a thread about replacing a light bulb in there. Has anyone seen that thread ?

Old 12-16-2010, 01:36 PM

I had the same thing happen in my 05 xc90. Volvo ended up needing to replace the whole module behind the radio panel (forget the name of it) which controls much more than the radio to the tune of about $1200. Sorry.

(update: I should have been more clear. My issue was not the lights on the "pre-set station" buttons, but the digital display of the radio screen itself. The unit that controls the radio display screen controls more than just the radio. After much negotiating with Volvo, I ended up only paying $250 to have the unit replaced and Volvo picked up the rest)

Last edited by servatius; 01-20-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 AM

I have the same problem. I have an 05 and my mechanic said it would be $200 to replace the lights. I am hoping I can do it myself, but haven't found out how to access the bulbs.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:53 PM

I just replaced all the ones in my wifes 90. You can get the bulbs from volvo at $12 a piece or you can get bulbs from Honda at $1.89 a piece. here is a link to the part from honda. You just have to take the blue rubber cover from the volvo bulb and swap it onto the honda bulb. http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/ima...placement1.jpg

First you have to pop off the panel around the shifter and disconnect it from the gear selector. It just snaps off. Then move the shifter to drive. Go to the back and disconnect the battery. *This is very important* If you don't diconnect the battery you will get an air bag light when you disconnect the climate control harness. After that you will see two torx bit screws holding the center section in place. Take those out. The whole center section will drop down and then pull out. You then need to disconnect all the wires. Flip the whole unit around and you will see four torx bits holding. take those out and the radio portion will come out. you will see the back of the light bulbs at this point. You just turn them a quarter turn and they will come out. Swap them and put back together. Not too bad of a job.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by servatius
I had the same thing happen in my 05 xc90. Volvo ended up needing to replace the whole module behind the radio panel (forget the name of it) which controls much more than the radio to the tune of about $1200. Sorry.
No way dont do it
Originally Posted by ddb415
I have the same problem. I have an 05 and my mechanic said it would be $200 to replace the lights. I am hoping I can do it myself, but haven't found out how to access the bulbs.
$200 is too much since it can be done for $10
Originally Posted by upsidedown
I just replaced all the ones in my wifes 90. You can get the bulbs from volvo at $12 a piece or you can get bulbs from Honda at $1.89 a piece. here is a link to the part from honda. You just have to take the blue rubber cover from the volvo bulb and swap it onto the honda bulb. http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/ima...placement1.jpg

First you have to pop off the panel around the shifter and disconnect it from the gear selector. It just snaps off. Then move the shifter to drive. Go to the back and disconnect the battery. *This is very important* If you don't diconnect the battery you will get an air bag light when you disconnect the climate control harness. After that you will see two torx bit screws holding the center section in place. Take those out. The whole center section will drop down and then pull out. You then need to disconnect all the wires. Flip the whole unit around and you will see four torx bits holding. take those out and the radio portion will come out. you will see the back of the light bulbs at this point. You just turn them a quarter turn and they will come out. Swap them and put back together. Not too bad of a job.
Little late for my reply but i counted 10 bulbs. this cost me under $10.

Radio Shack #272-1092
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103780

2pcs for $1.79USD x 5 packs

pretty much self explanatory when you see the old bulbs and these new ones. took me about 45 minutes and i disconnected everything took it inside the house and did it on the kitchen table with a 4 and 6 year old helping. ohh geez..

NOTE: i do own a BSR PPC diagnostic. I did get a CEL, SRS message and everything under the sun. Plug in and press reset codes and i was done hehehehe. most of you guys will not be so lucky, you will get a $80 plus bill form the dealer if you did it my way. Just becarefull on disconnecting stuff that all.

This way is ALOT cheaper and these are the same bulbs you would use for the ccm too.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may also want to give the side of the dash a good whack with your palm. I thought all my bulbs burned out also - including the ones for the climate control, seat heater, etc. Turned out it was just a lose connection. A simple whack fixed it and it's stayed fixed for the last 5k miles.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 AM

The Climate Control bulbs are a different size. They are a little bigger. You may be able to swap out the bulb in the twist base, but I don't think the blue rubber cover will fit. If it fits the Climate bulbs it def. wont fit the radio covers. I have yet to find a good replacement bulb for the climate control bulbs other than volvo replacement.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by gshadow325
No way dont do it

$200 is too much since it can be done for $10

Little late for my reply but i counted 10 bulbs. this cost me under $10.

Radio Shack #272-1092
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103780

2pcs for $1.79USD x 5 packs

pretty much self explanatory when you see the old bulbs and these new ones. took me about 45 minutes and i disconnected everything took it inside the house and did it on the kitchen table with a 4 and 6 year old helping. ohh geez..

NOTE: i do own a BSR PPC diagnostic. I did get a CEL, SRS message and everything under the sun. Plug in and press reset codes and i was done hehehehe. most of you guys will not be so lucky, you will get a $80 plus bill form the dealer if you did it my way. Just becarefull on disconnecting stuff that all.

This way is ALOT cheaper and these are the same bulbs you would use for the ccm too.
The Climate Control bulbs are a different size. They are a little bigger. You may be able to swap out the bulb in the twist base, but I don't think the blue rubber cover will fit. If it fits the Climate bulbs it def. wont fit the radio covers. I have yet to find a good replacement bulb for the climate control bulbs other than volvo replacement.
did you go to radio shack and buy a pack of bulbs and try it on your CCM before you posted this reply? BECAUSE i did buy these bulbs and replaced them before i posted this info up.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 PM

Well the bulbs are definetey a different size. I'm not saying that you can replace just the bulb in the base and it won't illuminate. I'm just saying that the rubber covers are different sizes. The original poster is looking for help and I'm just trying to point him in the right direction. If you have two different size blue light covers, and one size bulb, the covers will not work for one of those bulbs. Is this not correct.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:12 AM

Well the bulbs are definetey a different size. I'm not saying that you can replace just the bulb in the base and it won't illuminate. I'm just saying that the rubber covers are different sizes. The original poster is looking for help and I'm just trying to point him in the right direction. If you have two different size blue light covers, and one size bulb, the covers will not work for one of those bulbs. Is this not correct.
so covers are different size, modern man invented something called scissors LOL

Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 AM

Thanks for all the help. I bought the radio bulbs at Radio Shack and one climate bulb from the dealer. Not a bad compromise. All advice was great.
When reassembling, don't forget to put the shift **** back into park and turn off the key before reattaching the battery or sparks will fly!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:15 AM

I have the same problem on my 04 x70 so from what I understand the Radio Shack Bulbs are the one to use over the Honda Bulbs so how many do I need ? 10 ? Thanks Joe