Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liking my car a little more today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Liking my car a little more today!

seeing as I have a few other "things" to take care of on this car, I decided to change the oil and filters myself in order to save a bit of money. I am so glad I did, the filters at Volvo cost me 102.00 canadian and the oil was 50.00 for 100% synthetic. It took me about an hour to get it all done. so instead of the usual 315.00 that I was paying at Volvo, I got it done for 150.00. It was actually really easy and I will do it myself from now on I think. I had to come on here today to get details about installing the cabin air filter and I will pop that in tomorrow .
I was starting to get ticked at the cost of this car but seeing as there are things that you can do yourself, I feel a bit better about it.

Anyone thinking of doing the oil and filter changes yourself, I would recommend it.

Kari

Old 03-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Liking my car a little more today!

I agree, changing your own oil is definately worth it. I simply do not have the time to wait for an oil change at the dealer orservice center.Also knowing how much I can save is more reason to do so. It actually makes me open the hood and look around, which I probably would not if I did not change my own oil. I also agree, it makes me feel better.

I would suggest going on-line to buy the filter, you could save75% I would think. Ipaid less than $10 US for a Wix filter which is advertised as better than Mfg. I could probably save more buying in quantity on-line. Not sure where you got the oil but you could shop that for savings $$ as well.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:56 PM

The whole idea of doing it myself just came so suddenly that I didn't even think to go online for the supplies but for sure the next time I will shop with a little more anticipation and get them on line. It does feel good to see where everything is and check everything over once and awhile, I agree!
Is there a preferred on-line store to get this stuff from??

K.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 PM

Did you say315.00 CAD foroil/filter change at your local Volvo dealer?That sounds like a mistake. My Volvo dealer in Littleton, CO charges $29.95 (29.8214 CAD today) + tax for oil& filter and they get it done in 20 minutes or less. They even throw in a free car wash and I don't have to worry about the oil mess &disposal. If they are backed up and I don't have time to wait they will even provide a free rental car for the day. To me "time is money".

Old 03-18-2008, 07:06 AM

There's no mistake, that's how the dealer networks operate. The difference you express is probably the differencebetween a requested or advertised drive-in anddrive-out oil change service, and the dealer marketed "service interval work".

Let me explain with some substantive detail from recent receipts for similar service on our XC90.Let'salso assume that the CAD and USD are on par at the moment, becausethey are (today CAD 1.00 = USD 1.0088).

The service the dealership performed in January is listed on our invoice as"Perform XXXXX Mile Service per Volvo Maintenance Schedule" and note there aredifferent price levels for different mileage intervals.

This first example is themore basic service, and was performed for us at the 52,500 mile interval. The invoice was for $141.50. It included:

replacement of parts:
Vol 1275810 (oil filter) $9.68
Vol 09777511 gasket $0.74
Vol 0X05W30 oil 7qt 3.39 ea$23.73

parts total $34.15

service material (shop rags?) $ 5.00
labor - mechanical(1 hr.)$100.00
sales tax(in michigan 6%)$2.35
Total charge: $141.50

Along with this basic service wereceived a checklist of items that were looked at, and their status. All fluids were checked and topped off as needed (maybe), unhood and undercarriage had a total of 11 checks including the cabin filter which was marked as okay, lights horns, wipers and sprayerswere checked and okay, coolant hygrometer check, and tires and brake pads were inspected and pad thickness and rotor thickness and pad thickness were all noted as well. (I say maybe to some of the above being performed, because even the quick lube place {see below} marks the checklist as the air filterhaving been checked and being okay when they never even open the housing. I can't verify that the dealer's techs are actually doing all these checks, or how well. I don't trust anyone anymore, lol!)

THe second example is our 45,000 maintenance visit performed previouslyin September 2007. Replacement parts included same as above, plus:

0940096 gasket $2.73
30630752 particulate filter$29.01
parts from above $34.15

Parts total $65.89
service material $ 9.40
labor (2.0 S)$188.00
tax $ 4.52
Total $267.81

This service interval also included the same checklist, plus rotate and balance tires, andaroad test. The writeupincludeda notation that front brakes and rotors would need to be replaced soon (which weredone shortly afterwards) For surethey rotate the tires as one rim as a minor road rash and I always check its position before and after the service visit).

Clearly more "service" than just an oil change is being performed at the dealer. The next question then becomes whether the additional "services" have enough value to warrant paying for them.

It's for this reasonI have beenon the hunt to find the materials and procedures to do this maintenance on my own, and as others are saying they are doing. I can get the parts including the oil for under $60 bucks (already have a local source), and I can invest two hours to drain oil, replace filters and etc. The parts stores around heretake usedoil back with no drop off fee so I'll drop it off when I'm going that way so I don't make a separate trip.

I agree that time is money, and with my '02 Pontiac GTP 40th Anniversary Edition I go to the quick lube oil change place down the street and pay $29. out the door for LOF.I also agree Ican't hardly do itcheaper myelf at that price. Until I can take myVolvo to those shops however, I am going to start doing them on my own. Its nuts to keep paying the above prices, PLUS lose 3 hours out of my day just driving to the dealer and back.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:46 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

FYR:

FCP Groton (completely renewed):
http://www.fcpgroton.com/index-exec/...ear/by_make/78

eEuroparts:
http://www.eeuroparts.com/home.aspx

Some places may not have the supplies for XC90 so search around.

If the oil filter on XC90 has O-ring gasket on the engine block attachment surface, be sure to put a thin film of clean oil upon installation. If not, please ignore this process.

JPN

Old 03-18-2008, 10:24 AM

Yup, I said 315.00 I have never paid less than 300.00 any time I have had it serviced, I am sure they are doing checks on other things but I am basically taking it in there for an oil and filters change. So, If I can save that by doing it myself, then that free's up some cash to take it in when all the other things start to go a little wonky on it.

K.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: luvmyXC90

Yup, I said 315.00 I have never paid less than 300.00 any time I have had it serviced, I am sure they are doing checks on other things but I am basically taking it in there for an oil and filters change. So, If I can save that by doing it myself, then that free's up some cash to take it in when all the other things start to go a little wonky on it.

K.
You guys must have a lot of $$$ in your pockets to pay >$300.00 for an oil change !!!

I take my cars to my regular(not a "volvo/euro/MB cetified") mechanic, and my oil change is about $50.00. And they still check all that sh..t dealer lists as to be checked, including brakes. AND you can see who is working with your car, and what they are doing w/ it.

In fact, afterEVERY repair done at the dealer, I had to come back to correct something that was not done right...

Old 03-20-2008, 01:40 PM

I don't take it to the dealer anymore for that stuff, just when I had just bought it and didn't know any better. Still I don't see how you can get an oil change for 50.00 when the oil alone cost me more than that. And as for having a-lot of $$$ in my pocket??? not since I bought this car!!!! nothing has come cheap for this car and the future isn't looking so rosy either.
Having said that, I was wondering what the life span is for the air filter and cabin air filter, do I change them with every oil change?? The one I replaced was put in in June of 07 and it was pretty clean still when I took it out, I am pretty sure it could have been left but I replaced it anyway.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:10 PM

What brand oil are you buying???? I can get good synthetic for almost half or 2/3 of that just about anywhere.

I have yet to change my cabin filter at 30k miles, not sure when I will. Maybe at 50K unless we can smell a difference.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:14 PM

castrol 100% synthetic. 38.00 for 4.4 liters. and I need to buy at least 2 of them or go the 4.4 liter and then 9.00 for each liter bottle.

K.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:51 PM

Again, you're paying way to much for your oil+filer if you spend CAD 152.00. I only pay$30for that at my Volvo dealer service shop (oil+filter+labor).