Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for used $5-8k XC90 - which yr/model?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for used $5-8k XC90 - which yr/model?

Hi folks, my wife and I are purchasing a used mid-size SUV that has 6-7 seating capacity. I maintain my vehicles religiously and do all the work myself, except things I don't have equipment for like alignments. Our goal is to get another 100k mi. out of the vehicle we buy, or 4-5 years of use without any major repairs (like engine/trans swap). I've been successful with this strategy on the last 3-4 vehicles I've purchased. No rust issues here to worry about. Is the Volvo a good contender for keeping it going for the long haul? I don't mind things breaking as older vehicles do, but I do mind expensive transmission replacements or complete engine failures. We've pruned our list down to the Chrysler Pacifica (has to be 07-08 w/ 6 sp. trans & 4.0L engine) and the XC90. Our price range should allow either with about 80-130k if we find a good deal.

I believe my first XC90 choice would be an 05-06 5 cyl turbo model (AWD or FWD doesn't matter) or an 07-10 3.2L I-6 -- I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. My primary concern is how easy it is to work on-- I've read the 3.2L is shoe-horned in there such that the engine accessories are driven from the center/rear of the engine? Is this true, and does this present a huge challenge when working inside the engine bay? How is the 2.5L I5 for working under the hood? It's still a long engine installed transversally, and I'm sure I'll face at least one timing belt replacement during my ownership which I'll want to do myself. The 3.2L has a chain. I would really like to avoid buying a vehicle where it's a major job to perform "ordinary" repairs like alternator replacement, timing belt, water pump, radiator, etc; the type of failures you typically see on older vehicles or ones with high mileage.

I briefly considered the V8, but learned that you have to pull the entire engine just to get a cylinder head off-- got cold feet on that idea. I don't mind extra power at the expense of mpg within reason. This won't be a daily driver, we just want a nice feature-laden vehicle to use on weekends hauling the kids around, maybe a road trip now and then.

Last question-- The 2.5T vs the 3.2L have different transmissions? Correct me if I'm wrong, the 2.5T has an Aisin 5sp that's used on some GM vehicles, and the 3.2L has a 6-speed. Who makes the 6-speed, and is it as reliable as the 2.5T 5 sp. transmission, or vice versa? Aside from obvious advantages between 6 and 5 speed, are there any real world benefits for those that have driven both? Anyone know what RPM is on the 2.5T 5-speed at say 70-75 mph? The Pacifica we're also considering has a 6-speed, I suspect s 6-speed would have tangible benefits vs. the 5 speed which is important to us as most of our driving is highway.

Sorry my post is long, but any input/suggestions/comments/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

First, you are on the right track with those engines. The older T6 XC90 is the one to avoid. I wouldn't expect engine or transmission failure out of a properly maintained 2.5T or 3.2L. I would give the reliability edge to the 2.5T. That engine has been around longer and is very reliable. Some 3.2s had oil consumption issues, which likely would have been taken care of by now but still could be an issue.

Yes, the accessories are driven on the back of the engine for the 3.2. Not a huge deal, but the belt is definitely harder to replace than a 2.5T. If you go with the 2.5T, make sure the timing belt has been changed or plan on doing it. For the 3.2, I'd consider replacement of the drive belt, idler and tensioner and possibly the water pump while you're in there.

While I wouldn't plan on needing to remove tje heads on a V8, I still don't think you want that engine.

The transmissions are both made by Aisin and are pretty reliable from what I've seen.