Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe a gear position sensor problem???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Maybe a gear position sensor problem???

Just recently, my wife's 2008 XC90 V8 started having a weird problem. When you start it up and shift down to drive, it automatically initiates the MANUAL mode. Yes, it is in the D position, but the gear indicator by the shifter and on the dashboard reads M and the appropriate number. When you pop the shifter over to the left to the proper MANUAL mode, you can shift it manually with no issue. Most of the time, after driving a few miles, I will look down and see D on the dash...and yes, D on the gearshift indicator. And the shifter is pushed over to the left in the Manual mode. There is no noticable change in the car driving, RPM, or anything. Bump the shifter over to drive and nothing at all changes. The car will now stay in D mode until you are done driving. Stop for gas or something and turn the car off...same thing happens again.

So, I have removed the shift column panel and the shift stop plate and inspected everything. All seem to be in order. I can start the car with the panel and shift stop removed and the same thing happens...at least initially. Have not driven it down the road unassembled and hanging all over the place.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.