Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 XC90 Shift Gate Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 XC90 Shift Gate Issue

So I've searched and couldn't find anything quite the same as my issue, so I'm posting here in hopes someone can help me find the help I need.

Background: I have a 2005 XC90 2.5T AWD. Owned about 1 month. I am very mechanically inclined, but this is my first Volvo.

Recently, I when to try the Manual mode for the first time and the shifter doesn't seem to sit "quite right" and the manual mode doesn't work correctly because of this. I saw this thread https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...y-drive-65100/ and thought it might be the claw, but after disassembling the center console I found the claw and springs to be intact and functional. I'll try to describe below what's going on.

When I move the shifter to Manual mode, the shifter sits "forward" of the center position against the "+" stop. If I pull it to "-" and release it moves past center back to "+", resulting in a down-shift followed by an up-shift. If I hold it between the "+" and "-" and carefully move it between it reacts properly, but releasing it causes it to sit in the "+" position.

This seems to occur in "D" as well. The shifter sits slightly forward of "D". The trans will stay in the "D" mode, but if I pull the shifter back slightly, I can feel it come out of the "notch", and releasing it causes the shifter to pop forward slightly. I have a friend with a 2006 XC90 (looks identical except black interior) and his shifter doesn't move back past "D" at all.

I guess what it seems to me is happening all the "notches" for the transmission modes are slightly forward of where they should be, causing all the shift gates to be mis-aligned forward.

How do I go about adjusting this?

Thanks!