Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Seat Movements?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Seat Movements?

Okay....I can't believe I'm even posting this and some of you will find it humorous, but it really isn't in my shoes.

We have a Volvo XC 90, 2004. We have a child-seat in the back passenger side and the front passenger side seat needs to not be leaning against it, etc. Well, on probably a half dozen occasions at least my wife and I have gotten into the car and she has discovered her seat is in a different position than it was when she last got out. So then begin the accusatory: "Has there been someone else riding in this car with you?"

I can say categorically, NO...but I think she's not fully believing me (which points to other issues in our marriage,but that is another forum)...but no, I'm not having any affairs, no one, absolutely no one, has sat in that passenger seat besides my wife. So my question: is there any sort of technical glitch that could cause that seat to move on its own? If there is, please post the details!

Old 10-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be that she is comparing her seat position with the seat position of the drivers seat? The drivers seat should have seat memory so when you unlock the car using the remote the drivers seat moves to the last position saved for that remote.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:27 PM

No, she's not. The back of her seat will actually be up against the infant car seat, which it isn't supposed to be and she never puts it that way.. So her explanation is either A) something nefarious or B) I might be somehow absent-mindedly doing it....I'd gladly settle for B, but, really, with the car having to be on to move that seat...I just don't think there's anyway I can be "absent-mindedly" moving it...now I suppose SHE might be somehow bumping it on her way out of the car, but that'd be a tough to sell her on even if it were true...and seems kind of unlikely, anyway....so either someone else is getting in the car, turning it on and moving the seat (impossible since we only have one key and I have it all the time) or there is something electronic amiss....

Old 10-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My S60 occasionally seems to do exactly what you are talking about, moves the seat at some point while you are not sitting in it. It seemed to go away after I set all three memory settings the same, so I would guess it is adjusting the seat to one of the other preset positions. Little electrical gremlins is one of the things I have had to learn to live with as there are a couple others that are infrequent as well.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:10 AM

This happens frequently (but not always) to my drivers seat. All will be fine when driving, but I will get back into the car and find my seat is reclined much farther than it was when I left. No one drives my car but me, so I know its not someone playing with the buttons. I was wondering if it was some sort of "feature" to ease egress, but it's not all the time.

I had an MB E320 that would do wonky things with the seats, and there was a way to clear the programming. Perhaps this is a similar thing?

Old 12-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The XC90 doesn't need to be on to move the seats. They stay powered for a while after the key is turned off, and are powered for a while when you open the doors. Do you have seat covers, maybe messing with the switch?

I'm sure she's messing with it and doesn't know it.