Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking break / Emergency break Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking break / Emergency break Issues

Dear Volvo owners/technicians/lovers

I have a Volvo XC90 2005 AWD 2.5T, first I explain the issues then I briefly describe my tries to fix it. the Issue that I have is with parking brake or emergency brake that it's not working at all or very very weak. after watching some youtube clips and readyng some blogs I decided to start fixing the car by myself at first I tried to adjust the cable from adjustment ring located middle of the car right side of the driver seat (US roads' car), after I adjusted a that for more tenstion to help the parking pedal work better I realised it doesnt work at all to stop the car but I faced another issue that the break shoes made contact with breaking rotor and it cauesed car over fuel usage (16 MPG to 8 MPG) it was fraustrating to find out the issues but I fixed it by relasing the cable and driving the shorat distance with parking break on, it helped. the I opened the rear wheels and clean every rusted part very carefully and I changed the brake shoes but I still have the same problem that parking brake is not working, I read in some forums that it may fix by adding some adjustment kits, I'm not sure about it but before to doing this hard job I just wanted to ask you guys have you ever had same experience like mine and how you fixed it.
Thanks for your answer guys.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:43 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You probably need to get the factory diagram for the parking brake mechanism and parking brake shoe installation.

Your cables might also be rusty and the only solution is to replace them.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I fixed it

Thanks Tony for your reply, I think I fixed it I'm not sure yet but You need to go for a distance with parking brake light on (not too much tight) after a while when you smelled the brake shoes burn you can stop and release the parking brake, I did it and now I have very better and stronger parking brake. (please don't do it at home) and take responsibility for doing that.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A reminder that the parking brake part numbers are 2 components for the adjuster type fix. 30793437, 30793438. (It looks like the adjuster on every GM car built before 1970.) Also remember the hidden adjustable cable thing hidden in the center console. It's NOT the cables unless they are damaged, it's the parking brake shoes are too loose. The slack can either be taken care of by purchasing the adjuster or a little weld / grind/ play with the H style spacers. You put a small bead of weld into the (bottom) (top) of the "H" section and this increases the space, a trial and error process till the parking brakes snugly rest against the drum / rotor. Or by using the adjuster which can be adjusted via a lug bolt hole. Hope this helps. It really should be a recall considering the number of XC90s that are failing the MOT. And BTW new cables, for this reason alone, really don't help. BUT sometimes the plastic ends of the cables get damaged, that should be checked as well.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

If you need to add an adjuster from another car or modify parts, your cables are stretched and need replacement. Wear items wear out- that doesn't mean there should be a recall.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:51 PM
Default Recall

Originally Posted by ES6T
If you need to add an adjuster from another car or modify parts, your cables are stretched and need replacement. Wear items wear out- that doesn't mean there should be a recall.
When 20,000 XC90s' of varying years fail the MOT or a vehicle inspection, as far as I'm concerned that's grounds for a recall. This isn't normal wear and tear, this is a bo bo in design. And again this ide that these cables stretch over time is insane,...Do you have an XC90 or similar with this issue? Because there are a lot of us that did in fact change out cables and that did squat. The rear parking brake shoes are too loose, end of story. Get the 2 piece adjuster for the shoes,...be prepared to run around for a bit with the parking brake being used,...and then most likely you'll have to adjust the adjuster thru a bolt hole again. For those of us with this issue this was the fix, it got the vehicle to pass inspection. It was the only way.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

If the shoes cannot be properly adjusted with the provisions on the car for adjustment (and they are not worn), then it's a cable issue.

The much more common issue is the shoe linings coming off. If that happens, you won't be able to adjust it properly.

Last edited by ES6T; 09-17-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:42 AM
Default Cable

If the shoes cannot be properly adjusted with the provisions on the car for adjustment (and they are not worn), then it's a cable issue.

The much more common issue is the shoe linings coming off. If that happens, you won't be able to adjust it properly.
and what is your retort for those of us, in the thousands who tried to repair their parking brakes by changing all the cables? What is your retort for Volvo who tried to "fix" this issue by coming out with the revised "Service Kit" 274519 ?

You sir are a misleading individual who is determined to obfuscate the issue and mislead all of those with this issue who are trying to repair their Volvos and get them fully functional.

Give it up to those who have actually found a repair that works and who are trying to help others fix their vehicles. I have no idea what your agenda is. But your incessant , misleading "advice" is not appreciated.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

That kit is for XC90s that do not have the adjustment on the cable. Some had a self adjusting pedal assembly. So you are referencing something for a system that is not the same as the OP.

So on that system, if the shoes are good and the cables are new, was the pedal replaced?

Old 09-18-2018, 03:24 PM
Default Clueless

That kit is for XC90s that do not have the adjustment on the cable. Some had a self adjusting pedal assembly. So you are referencing something for a system that is not the same as the OP.

So on that system, if the shoes are good and the cables are new, was the pedal replaced?
Every XC90 pedal assembly is now superseded by the cable and pedal assembly which includes the hidden expansion adjuster located in the center consol. This was an attempt to remedy this issue. It doesn't work. Which is why anyone who actually want's to get the parking brake assembly to actually pass the MOT or an vehicle inspection has to and or is installing the parking brake adjuster in the drum. The self adjusting pedal on some late model Volvos was quickly and quietly replaced / superseded. It is no longer available for purchase from Volvo. BUT that issue aside it DIDN'T MATTER,....THE SYSTEM STILL DOSEN'T WORK. IT NEVER DID WHICH IS WHY IT SHOULD BE A RECALL ITEM.

some of us actually work on Volvos and have solutions,...I have no idea what your agenda is,......

Old 09-18-2018, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

I work on Volvo's. I've never had to add an adjuster to get the parking brake adjusted. And I couldn't even guess how many sets of shoes I've replaced or how many times I've adjusted existing shoes.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:16 AM
Default XC90 parking brake shoes adjustment

I work on Volvo's. I've never had to add an adjuster to get the parking brake adjusted. And I couldn't even guess how many sets of shoes I've replaced or how many times I've adjusted existing shoes.
So how do you "adjust" an XC90s' parking brake shoes? What year, what model, what tools do you use? Because the vast majority of XC90s' come with a flat "spacer" Vida calls a "link," PART # 31257573, IT IS NON-ADJUSTABLE.

The other part, which is non-adjustable as well is the "expander" PART # 31257570. Of course there are the parking brake shoes themselves KIT # 31262874 , are some of these adjustable?

Then of course there is the service kit PART # 274519, WHICH INCLUDES: foot pedal, cable, expansion adjuster, (which doesn't work) and all comes in a nice plastic bag. Do you use the special tool to expand that in line adjuster, or do you use your teeth? So your saying that the in-line adjuster an integral part of this service kit will do the job of getting the parking brakes "tight" enough to actually pass the MOT or actually stop the vehicle? Or hold a late XC90 on a steep hill? Cause there's lots of people out there that disagree.

Of course you continue to ignore the fact that thousands of late model Volvos are failing their inspections, AFTER they change all of these parts,..... hench Volvo releasing the adjustable spacer that I have already mentioned.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

You adjust them at the adjuster, located on the cable along the center console.

If it was an early XC90 with the self adjusting pedal and the reset procedure does not work, then you order the kit you described. This adds the adjuster.

THOUSANDS are unable to be adjusted when they have known good shoes and cables? Seems far fetched bud.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:15 PM
Default Should be recalled

You adjust them at the adjuster, located on the cable along the center console.

If it was an early XC90 with the self adjusting pedal and the reset procedure does not work, then you order the kit you described. This adds the adjuster.

THOUSANDS are unable to be adjusted when they have known good shoes and cables? Seems far fetched bud.
Thousands. And again, what part of "many" that have already found out the hard way that the center console adjuster, which I do believe has already been mentioned doesn't solve the issue, and again which is why I mentioned the 2 part numbers for the old school adjuster, FROM Volvo, located in place of the spacer.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

I still call BS.

The part number for the star adjuster isfor a different car. A car that, from the factory, used a star adjuster to adjust the parking brake.

The XC90 (or any P2 for that matter), does not use it. It uses the adjuster built into the cable.

I have adjusted thousands, either after replacing rear brakes, replacing the shoes or replacing a wheel bearing. I have never had one where the factory adjustment just "didn't work" (with good cables, shoes and expanders that is).

Edit- My hot streak continues. I literally just did a rear brake job on a 2012 XC90 and everything adjusted perfectly. I didn't even have to use my teeth!

Which reminds me... The fact that you asked how I adjust them at the cable makes me wonder if maybe you don't know how to adjust them, amd therefore think parts from other cars need to be used...

Last edited by ES6T; 09-19-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:42 PM

You can call BS all you want. Those part numbers come from Volvo as their recommended XC90 (late models) fix for the parking brakes that no longer work.

Key words,...from Volvo

and yes you would be correct it is a popular part, I get them from my local auto store I just ask for the standard adjusters from any 67 Chevy drum brake. 1/8 the cost of the Volvo parts.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

What are you talking about? The updated pedal? Or the star adjuster?

Yes, the updated pedal is for when the auto adjustment does not work.

But no, the star adjuster is not for the XC90. Where are the words "from Volvo" saying it is?

Old 09-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Default Special pliers

I have adjusted thousands, either after replacing rear brakes, replacing the shoes or replacing a wheel bearing. I have never had one where the factory adjustment just "didn't work" (with good cables, shoes and expanders that is).

Edit- My hot streak continues. I literally just did a rear brake job on a 2012 XC90 and everything adjusted perfectly. I didn't even have to use my teeth!

Which reminds me... The fact that you asked how I adjust them at the cable makes me wonder if maybe you don't know how to adjust them, amd therefore think parts from other cars need to be used...
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................................the tool used to expand the adjuster in the center console is part number: 951 2947 Pliers Have you ever dropped the clip holding the adjuster closed? Why don't you all enlighten us with the procedure to adjust the adjuster in the center console? Sometimes I forget where I put my special tool so I just use 2 vice grips and wedge something between them,.... BTW I have no doubts you have heard of the set in procedure:
Note! Activate the parking brake firmly for 10 minutes.

Break in the parking brake by depressing the parking brake pedal to the third notch. Then drive at 20 km/h for 40 seconds or 250 meters.

funny all the stuff you leave out.

(Feel free to describe how to adjust an adjuster that doesn't work, it's posted elsewhere on the internet for anyone to look up. Again, try to not drop the clip.) Do you remove the seat? I find it easier to remove the drivers seat, 4 bolts and just slide it a few inches out of the way,....I'd imagine if the original poster wants to know how to adjust the hidden adjuster he will ask at some point, again, why don't you ask? Or just post the procedure here to help em out?

Last edited by chrisd111; 09-19-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

I have not had a cable adjuster fail to properly adjust on a parking brake with known good parts. Like I already said a couple of times.

If I drop the clip, yeah, I pull the seat to get it. Only happened once though. Otherwise I do not pull the seat.

The special tool isn't needed. A simple set of hose remover pliers does the trick.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:50 PM
Default tools

I have not had a cable adjuster fail to properly adjust on a parking brake with known good parts. Like I already said a couple of times.

If I drop the clip, yeah, I pull the seat to get it. Only happened once though. Otherwise I do not pull the seat.

The special tool isn't needed. A simple set of hose remover pliers does the trick.

"The special tool isn't needed"
( I 'm glad we agree on something.)