Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help before I have a concussion... No pass headlight.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help before I have a concussion... No pass headlight.

I've been bashing my head against the wall for days trying to figure out why my passenger side headlight doesn't work at all. No lights in the housing will light up. Quick background. Bought an 05 XC90 for 1200 bucks that had been smacked in the front lightly. Found a guy parting one out that was the same silver color so I bought his bumper, radiator and core support. 200 bucks. This thing is almost back together pending a hood (mine is just a little dinged up). Now, this vehicle has been sitting around since about 2008. The fuel stinks, the interior has some funky smells for a truck that was in a garage for the past year, but it starts right up and drives nice. That being said, the pass. headlight had been smashed out in the accident and the previous owner bought a tyc replacement headlight. I thought all would be well and just plugged it in while bolting everything back together. IT WON'T DO ANYTHING. I can't get any light out of it. No highs, no lows, no directional, no hazards, no drl. Just black. I probed the wire at the plug through the core support at pin 2 (blue/yellow) and found nothing. The fourth pin down or so (pin 7) has 12 volts, but the headlight doesn't have a terminal in that hole at the housing harness so it does me no good. This is a non-hid (straight halogen) front end. I'm about to rip the CEM our and check that, but I was under the impression that was only for high or low beam and the parking lights wouldn't be effected. Does anyone have any ideas? I registered to see if you any of you may have had such an issue in the past. Sorry this post is so long. Fogs and driver's side work perfectly. Rears are all on and work correctly. Just total darkness on the passenger headlight. Ideas?

Old 03-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I figured it out. (Feel kind of dumb now) The wire loom for the headlight looked perfect, but upon closer inspection I found a few broken wires right where it connected to the larger harness. I guess it got crushed in just the right place. After I fixed that, all lights work again. Unfortunately, after days of running this car with no real problems, I wrapped up working on the front end, started it up and began checking everything out. While walking to the back of the truck to check tails and directional lights, I see this huge puddle of fuel forming under the truck. Apparently something just let go after many hours of run time. When I jumped in and began reversing up the driveway, about 3 or 4 more cups of fuel came pouring off the top of the tank. Wonderful. I'm starting to think this was a bad idea buying a car that sat for so long. It's parked for the night. I'm not beaten easily, but this thing is making me work for it.