Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel hub replacement - steps please

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel hub replacement - steps please

Right rear wheel bearing is gone so I need to replace the wheel hub assembly. Anyone on here done that before? I have the caliper/rotor and 4 connecting bolts removed - what else?

'06 XC90 V8 AWD

Old 10-12-2009, 10:24 PM

On vehicles equipped with anti-lock brakes and hub assemblies with an integral ABS sensor or tone ring, the ABS warning light will come on if a wheel-speed sensor is reading erratically or the signal is lost. The ABS system will set a fault code that corresponds to the sensor location (left front, right front, right rear or left rear) and disable the ABS system until the fault is fixed. On these vehicles, the only way to get the ABS light to go out is to replace the hub assembly (assuming the problem isn't a simple wiring fault or loose connector).
There is no way to disassemble and repair a sealed hub assembly. If the internal ABS sensor has failed or if the external ABS tone ring on the hub is damaged or badly corroded, the whole unit must be replaced. The same goes for any other sealed wheel bearing and hub assembly. If anything is wrong with it,. the whole assembly must be replaced. It cannot be rebuilt or repaired.
Adjustable wheel bearings on older vehicles, on the other hand, can be adjusted, cleaned and repacked with grease, and replaced if the bearings are bad. A leaky grease seal can also be replaced without having to replace the bearings, too.
A bearing failure can be dangerous because it may cause the wheel to separate from the vehicle and/or cause a loss of steering control! It's not something to ignore or put off because there is no way to know how many miles the bearings will go before the unit fails completely.
The other safety issue involved is the ABS system. As long as the ABS warning light remains on, the ABS system is disabled. This should not affect normal braking, but it will prevent the ABS system from helping out in an emergency or when braking on a slick surface.
Replacing a sealed wheel bearing and hub assembly involves removing the wheel, hub nut and to replace the unit. Do not use an for removal or installation. Use a torque wrench and tighten all bolts and nuts to specifications. Many hub units for FWD cars and minivans come with a new hub nut. Use it. And, be sure to torque it to specifications with a torque wrench. Never use an impact wrench.

======================================
car parts importing cars to canada

Old 11-17-2009, 11:25 PM

I am into replacing the wheel hub assembly too but so far i have not found any detailed guide on how to do it myself..

Last edited by mikeross; 02-11-2010 at 09:32 PM.