Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Battery, "Start Prevented Try Again"

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Replaced Battery, "Start Prevented Try Again"

I have a 2006 XC90, with the 2.5L turbo engine.My battery has become increasingly weak, and as we're heading into some very cold temps in northern Minnesota, I thought it best to replace it. I followed a tutorial online exactly as they did it, and it seemed fine. With the new battery in, I go to start the engine, and I get a message "Start Prevented, Try Again". No clicking from the engine at all. Now the electronics all worked perfectly, the radio blared loudly, the lights turned on, and the car unlocked and locked perfectly fine when I pressed the button. The key was out of the ignition and the car was cold when I replaced the battery. I researched this and found others with the same issue in other threads here, but none that had it immediately after replacing the battery. I've had quite a few issues this past year with the battery going dead from a short amount of lights on after the engine was off, which is why I replaced the battery, but never had this issue, even from a fully dead battery all night.

I tried using a different key, did not work. I have two electronic keys, but no valet key.
I tried locking and unlocking the car 5 times, did not work.
I tried unlocking the car from the driver door handle, did not work.
I double checked the battery, the terminals are on the right side and seemed correctly hooked up (I was hopeful that I wasn't that dumb, but had to check I guess...)

I'm willing to try anything to get it to start, the starter motor seemed completely fine when I drove the car yesterday. I live in Duluth, about 140 miles from the nearest Volvo dealership, but there is a shop that specializes in European cars locally. I'll have it towed there if necessary, but I'd really like to save the money. Thank you in advanced for any advice or suggestions!

Old 11-18-2018, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

If neither key works, you can try an antenna ring. They are easy to replace and don't require programming.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I realize this is a month old, but I had some ideas and wonder if you have resolved the issue.

Remove your key, close the doors making sure everything is off and the car is unlocked.
Wait 5 minutes
Remove the negative lead to the battery and wait 10 minutes
Connect it back up and see what it does. Hopefully this will reset the computer.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nichals
I realize this is a month old, but I had some ideas and wonder if you have resolved the issue.

Remove your key, close the doors making sure everything is off and the car is unlocked.
Wait 5 minutes
Remove the negative lead to the battery and wait 10 minutes
Connect it back up and see what it does. Hopefully this will reset the computer.
Hello I am having the same issue I did the same thing he did and what you told him to do and mine still won't start any other suggestions you may have

Old 01-25-2020, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nard$
Hello I am having the same issue I did the same thing he did and what you told him to do and mine still won't start any other suggestions you may have

disconnect both battery terminals while off the battery touch both lead wires together for bout 30 seconds to a min the reattach back to battery. I’m hoping I don’t need to say don’t do this while connected to battery I Hope ha ha ha

Old 01-25-2020, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by JJ1980
disconnect both battery terminals while off the battery touch both lead wires together for bout 30 seconds to a min the reattach back to battery. I’m hoping I don’t need to say don’t do this while connected to battery I Hope ha ha ha
what's lead wires are you talking about both the battery post

Old 01-25-2020, 07:46 PM
Default ?

Originally Posted by Nard$
what's lead wires are you talking about both the battery post

disconnect battery cables from battery then take the same cables you took off the battery and hold tape whatever them together for a min to minute and a half