Current draw down

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Current draw down

Hey, guys. I just took over my wife's '02 XC 70 and I'm making it my own. She just got a new Passat and I sold my Focus.
It needed a new battery and I replaced it a month ago. The car sat about a week while we were trying out the new car and when I tried to take it out it was dead.
I exchanged the battery thinking it was bad ( Interstate EconoPower ) and I followed the Volvo directions of hooking up the negative with the key in position II. If the vehicle sits the voltage drops about .2 volt every day. I'd rather not start a program of pulling fuses. Can anybody offer a suggestion what might be drawing the battery down? This car has been a rock for 15 years and just recently has started showing it's age which is the reason my wife wanted to replace it. First the rad started leaking, then the A/C went out. I didn't want her having trouble on the road so I said get a new one. I also wanted to personalize the Volvo to my liking. Thanks in advance for all your ideas. I really want to get this rig fixed because my only alternative is a 10 mpg Powerstroke pickup.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:27 PM

Just wanted to add that I found some interesting leads on the site and I'll try those in the daylight. If you had any similar problems please keep your ideas coming.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:56 PM

I just read the battery section in the owner manual, I don't see any instruction said leave the key in position II, but for what reason and where in the instruction said to leave the key in position II? Did you leave the key in that position all the time even when the car is not being driving? Always turned off ignition and take the key out when connect the battery cables, if you turn the accessory on (position II) while connecting negative cable, you could short circus or burn some fuses or components in your car.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I borrowed a booster battery, connected up through the 12V access plug in the back of the car. Then you can disconnect the battery safely and the car never loses power.

Note: The power outlet at the console only works with the key is in the II position or higher, so that may be why you heard the key has to be in the II position to change out the battery. It would be to keep the car powered up with a secondary battery connected.

There will be arcing (sparks) when you remove the first battery cable. I like to remove the negative cable from the car frame with a wreck, weather that wiggle off battery lugs. It's just easier and that keeps sparks further away from the battery. Sparks near the battery can ignite some of the gases and even cause the vents to pop off. It's acid, so you have to wear gloves and eye protection or a mask. (In 55 years of working on batteries, I have never seen that happen, but I have heard about it, usually working with a damaged battery or one with no liquid in one of the cells).

These are usually "sealed" batteries, but that really doesn't matter. They still have to vent and there is a vent tube that vents most of the battery gas under the car. And they do run out of acid. Usually, that's a sign it's time to change to a new battery.

Battery connections have to be clean and fairly snug. Make sure you cleaned your cables carefully and brush the dull oxidation off of the battery terminals. If not, that will drain the battery faster, because of more resistance and lower voltages.

A dirty battery can discharge rather quickly, just from the collection of salts around the vents. It is worth the time to wash off the battery really well.

But, all that aside, I love having the battery inside the car and in the back. My original battery lasted 8 years!

Last edited by Mac Cat; 11-15-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Thanks for responding, guys. The battery instructions I followed were on the Howardsvolvo site. Right up front there are some articles describing things that are a 'must' on this car. I followed his advice because, although a little strange, I have to remember what I'm working on. I believe it says it came from the factory service manual, not the owners manual.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:17 AM

OK, guys. I just looked back at Howardsvolvos.com and the article I'm referring to is the very first thing on the site. Check it out and see what you think. I'll be the first to admit I've never done anything like that in 50 years of changing batteries.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:21 AM

Thang, I do NOT leave the key in on position II when the car is parked. I've only been playing with this for a week or so and this is only the second replacement battery I've ever put in the car. Except for a tranny almost zero problems in 15 years but just in the last few months it's showing its age. Radiator leaking, A/C has a leak and now this discharge problem. I really want to keep this car around but I don't want to own a money pit.