Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used vehicle recommended services

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used vehicle recommended services

Just bought an '06 XC90 V8 AWD with 93K miles. I have to assume that none of the factory recommended services have been done yet. Seems to run and drive fine. Some clunking in the front end but the engine/tranny seem good.

I'm going to take it to the dealership and have them do a trans service and maybe an oil change using synthetic. I am also going to have them do an inspection to see if anything else needs work.

Should I have them do a t-case and diff service as well?

What else should I do? I am going to do plugs once it gets nicer out and I will also do a fuel filter. How important is it that I use Castrol oil? I have been using Carquest synthetic in my last truck since it is made by valvoline and never had a problem. I know I need to use the Volvo transmission fluid and if the dealership uses the BG machine I may not have them do the tranny service based I what others have said about it.

I'm new to Volvos so I need to learn what I can.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 01-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best thing would be to find an independent honest Volvo garage. Having read histories on more than one forum, I now don't trust the Volvo dealership unless there is no other option. Not to mention their terrible service prices.

If the transmission has never been serviced, it's better to only do a partial fluid change.

Inspect the PCV system, as at this mileage it's often times at fault, and it affects the engine.

Timing belt (and pulley) is due at this mileage.

I have used Castrol synthetic, it's an ok oil, I have the feeling Mobil 1 keeps the engine a bit cleaner. Check the oil level frequently as at this mileage it will start drinking synthetic oil for the first thousands miles.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:38 PM

Oragex, there is no timing belt on the v8 models. They have timing chains that don't need to be serviced.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

And the PCV is totally different than the one you are talking about.

I love how everyone thinks inddpendent shops are more honest for some reason. I cannot tell you how many times I have had customers come in and say an independent shop told them it needed work and it actually didn't. There are dishonest people everywhere.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
It's still a car, not much special.
Meaning?

Originally Posted by oragex
The best thing would be to find an independent honest Volvo garage. Having read histories on more than one forum, I now don't trust the Volvo dealership unless there is no other option. Not to mention their terrible service prices.

If the transmission has never been serviced, it's better to only do a partial fluid change. Why is this?

Inspect the PCV system, as at this mileage it's often times at fault, and it affects the engine.

Timing belt (and pulley) is due at this mileage. Don't these vehicles have chains?

I have used Castrol synthetic, it's an ok oil, I have the feeling Mobil 1 keeps the engine a bit cleaner. Check the oil level frequently as at this mileage it will start drinking synthetic oil for the first thousands miles.
Originally Posted by damien360
Oragex, there is no timing belt on the v8 models. They have timing chains that don't need to be serviced.
There is no service interval for the chains? Not that I want to change it but I also want this engine to last a while.

Originally Posted by ES6T
And the PCV is totally different than the one you are talking about. Does this engine need the PCV system replaced as a maintenance item or only once they go bad? Or when you say "different" does that mean they don't have the same type of system? Like it just uses a normal style PCV valve?

I love how everyone thinks inddpendent shops are more honest for some reason. I cannot tell you how many times I have had customers come in and say an independent shop told them it needed work and it actually didn't. There are dishonest people everywhere. I feel the dealerships are more expensive but I also feel they are probably better since they are better equipped to work on their specific vehicles. They have the correct tools, resources, and knowledge. Not to say independent shops are horrible but I have worked at a couple GM dealers and an independent dealer and I think the quality of work was better at the dealer.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by damien360
didn't know, thanks

Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It uses a PCV valve, not the breather box system oragex is talking about.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:16 PM

I will advice that before buying a used vehicle, you want to always run an online check so you can discover any defects or damages the car had.

Running a simple VIN check online will save you so much trouble in the future.

Hope this helps