Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 lemon car

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

eeeewidner, Stonepa, It was a pleasure not being called stupid by you fine gentlemen.

Bmoore, I think I married much better than you because my wife can drive without hitting "crubs".

gshadowwhatever, I did post the same stuff on multiple Volvo forums to try to disseminate hard earned, expensive knowledge that I gained through experience. I did it with the best of intentions because some of us did get really crappy XC90s off the showroom floor, and I figured out a couple of ways to improve a bad situation. Clearly you did not get a bad XC90 so go do whatever you do. I did not post this stuff because I want to lock horns with somebody who only wants to argue and hurl insults. If this thread is dead, why are you posting to it. Move along.

I have shared everything I learned about my lemoncar, and I am done. I wish I would have only kept taking from the forum, rather than try to give back.

I will only be back when I need another procedure or something, and chances are I will never post again. This is not my hobby. I'm out.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by G8 fan
I will only be back when I need another procedure or something, and chances are I will never post again. This is not my hobby. I'm out.
You said that last time.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im my second transmission the first one was the GM failure the second one was a faulty seal. despite the problems i have had with my volvoving some being because i was cheap and started using 87 in a Twin tubro vehicle and reciving a cracked head as my reward to a transmission issue. i have to say that both times i had the transmission replaced i didnt pay one red cent. The other thing is Volvo has now a two year warrenty on all replacement parts done at any volvo service department. which is rarely seen except in BMW where it is 4 year warranty. couple of things with this guys problems your power outlet cover probably broke because an object in the cargo area hit it. some of these problems you are mentioning are piddley things. another thing is that engine mounts breaking? i have never heard of that breaking on a car that's less than 20 years old unless the mounts rusted or you hit a rock or something really hard snapping the engine mount. Transmission I can understand been there done that rear door handle mechanism is something that can be fixed in the driveway easily. Regarding the engine mount bushings broken shifter cable etc. either you abused the car or this car was abused prior to you buying it and the salesman just took you for a ride.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 AM

U must be from Volvo sending out mis-information.

I am the original owner, the car was serviced according to OEM schedule, it was never taken off road, never abused, just city/hiway driving.
The transmission failed, the instrument cluster failed, the shift handle broke, the motor mounts broke, the sun roof drains clog and the water pools under the floor mats, the tailgate latch broke, etc. All on a car sold for safety and reliability. Sham of a vehicle with poor manufacturer support and then to have folks who try to mislead and fault others, just goes to show the character of the car, the manufacturer and now the ignorance of some of the owners.
This model should be recalled and all current owners get prior major repairs reimbursed.
I would never recommend a volvo to anyone.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buckeyecal
U must be from Volvo sending out mis-information.

I am the original owner, the car was serviced according to OEM schedule, it was never taken off road, never abused, just city/hiway driving.
The transmission failed, the instrument cluster failed, the shift handle broke, the motor mounts broke, the sun roof drains clog and the water pools under the floor mats, the tailgate latch broke, etc. All on a car sold for safety and reliability. Sham of a vehicle with poor manufacturer support and then to have folks who try to mislead and fault others, just goes to show the character of the car, the manufacturer and now the ignorance of some of the owners.
This model should be recalled and all current owners get prior major repairs reimbursed.
I would never recommend a volvo to anyone.
yeah you must just have gotten a bad one. my xc90 hasn't had any of those problems ive only had a transmission replacement a main computer and a DEM due to operator stupidity namely me

Old 06-26-2011, 11:16 AM

This tread may have come back to life because the poster did a search and this came up in the search. I just did one on the RSE and some of the results were 4 plus years old.

I helps if the person who started the tread updates the tread as to the outcome of the issue.....just saying.

We extended the warranty on our V8 powered XC (Yamaha Transmission) to over 200,000 miles. In part due to the well documented transmission and AC/electrical issues associated with the XC90.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by gshadow325
holy crap, thread ressurection from 2006.

does anyone ever read when the OP was made and not to reply to dead threads?
As long as the new postings are relevant to the original thread name, I think it adds value to the forum to continue placing new posts under original threads rather than continually adding new threads (new thread names).

Christian

Old 04-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Post Shake, Rattle and Roll

I check these forums every time I have a new problem with my car. I have a 2004 Volvo XC90 2.9l 6 cylinder Turbo (95K). I bought it CPO in 2007. I LOVE this vehicle, but, it does have some serious problems.

I'm on my 4th transmission. No, I don't drive like an idiot and my milage is really low. The first transmission went the first week I bought it. Thankfully, my dealer was always really great about handling the transmission problems. I don't know why I've had so many, but I do have a hilly commute.

Here are my questions:
1. I just had to replace a gear shift cable. I was just pulling in to pick up kids and it literally went into park, but the digital display only showed N(eutral) and D(rive). I felt it engage in P, R, etc, but the digital display was incorrect. I just don't understand how this could go so bad? I barely drive this vehicle and I treat it like a baby. Could some other problem have caused that issue?
2. My local dealership - who are the only ones who ever touch my car - have lost my confidence. It cost me over $500 for the gear shift cable replacement. I take it to the dealership for everything every time. Did I overpay again?

3. I've had a "coolant leak" problem since I've owned it. My poor vehicle was "diagnosed" and "serviced" for this coolant leak for years and they've never fixed the actual leak. Now they have suddenly discovered the source of the leak, "maybe". (yup, they said maybe.) $1200-2200. I'm still thinking.

4. I've had a distinct rattle for the past 4+ years. I've put it in the dealership at least twice a year for this rattle. Again, now the dealership can suddenly "hear what that rattle is", because, they couldn't hear it or reproduce it or identify it for four years. But now they think it's the driveshaft/cv, maybe. To the tune of $3800. I get a "maybe". When I look up this rattle/clanging that occurs in the low gears only (1st & 2nd) I find that at most, I'm quoted twice what it should cost for parts and labor. How does a certified Volvo dealership get away with this? Assuming that the "rattle" is cv joint related, do any of these problems have anything to do with my repeated transmission failures?

5. I love my Volvo XC90. When it's good it's the most wonderful vehicle I've ever owned. But, when it's bad...

6. I've definitely had a bunch of other costly Volvo XC90 problems and just paid. However, lately... For example, there are now over 12 XC90s in the school pick up/drop off lane. THREE of those Volvo XC90s all have a left front high/low beam bulb out, like mine. (Here's the rub, I just had that light replaced 11 months ago. It turns off and on the entire time I'm driving. Indicating to me that this is probably some sort of electrical problem.) Oh, and it started at the same time as the gear shift cord needed replacing. How are these related? Are they just coincidences?

I love my vehicle, however, I lose it to the shop and serious safety and driveability issues for at least 3-6 weeks each year, is it a lemon? I'm a Volvo for life person, but, I'm not confident about giving this one to the kids.