Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xc90 lowbeam headlight turns off when car started

Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xc90 lowbeam headlight turns off when car started

its been 0 degrees or less in Maine for last 4 days (not sure if cold weather is causing this).

A couple days ago i started xc90 after work and the driver side lowbeam headlight went out. Thought it was bad bulb. Later, I turned car off and then turned key to ON position, headlight works.

But, as soon as I start the car the driver side lowbeam headlight flickers (once car is started) and goes out and stays off. Its been so cold that i haven't done much other than check that the harness to headlight fixture isnt loose.

Does this sound like a relay issue? I can't seem to find info that the headlights have a relay. The fuse for lowbeam headlight is fine (checked it last night).

Old 11-25-2013, 12:02 PM

Good Monday. I have the exact same issue on my '05 xc90. fuse is good. did you solve your problem? Thanks!

Old 11-25-2013, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by jaippolito
its been 0 degrees or less in Maine for last 4 days (not sure if cold weather is causing this).

A couple days ago i started xc90 after work and the driver side lowbeam headlight went out. Thought it was bad bulb. Later, I turned car off and then turned key to ON position, headlight works.

But, as soon as I start the car the driver side lowbeam headlight flickers (once car is started) and goes out and stays off. Its been so cold that i haven't done much other than check that the harness to headlight fixture isnt loose.

Does this sound like a relay issue? I can't seem to find info that the headlights have a relay. The fuse for lowbeam headlight is fine (checked it last night).

It switches from xenon to regular depending on daylight sensed Canadian vehicle. I never have to touch light switch.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 AM

in my case, i ended up putting a new bulb in, even though the one in there would "sort of work". So, I would recommend trying a new bulb. To test, if the bulb on the other side works, you can take that one and swap them to see if it is the bulb.