Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 Momentum - Hard steering

Old 12-13-2008, 03:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90 Momentum - Hard steering

Hi all,
some days ago I got my brand new XC90 Momentum. I am very happy about the car. Only one thing dont makes me completely happy and I want to share it with you.

I feel the steering very hard when the car is still (ex. parking) or when I turn at a very low speed. Last summer I drove an XC90 Optima (2004 - 170.000 km) and the steering was more light.

My VOLVO reseller told me that this behavior is not connected with the presence of the "steering speed adaptive" (it was an optional I didn't choose) and if not it makes the steering more hard at an high speed. They think that this hardness is due to the brand new car and after 1/2.000 km it should be normal.

What do you think about that ?

[ Sorry for my terrible english ... ]

Old 12-13-2008, 09:09 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: XC90 Momentum - Hard steering

>I want to share it with you.
Thanks for sharing.

>steering speed adaptive"
? Most modern cars come with that function; the power assist varies according to either the engine RPM or the vehicle speed.

>They think that this hardness is due to the brand new car and after 1/2.000 km it should be >normal.

Bull **** I would stop going to their place and find another shop.

I would check for the fluid level in the power steering pump reservoir. If the level is low, I would add the specified fluid in there. Also, make sure that the accessory drive belt is under correct tension (if the XC90 uses serpentine belt, it has automatic tensioner so the belt should be at the right tension).

>Sorry for my terrible english ...
Not to worry, it is far better than average Japanese people’s EngRish...

JPN

Old 12-13-2008, 11:19 AM

Thank you very much for the answer !

Most modern cars come with that function; the power assist varies according to either the engine RPM or the vehicle speed.
So do you think that the hardness is not due to the lack of the adaptive steering ?

I would check for the fluid level in the power steering pump reservoir. If the level is low, I would add the specified fluid in there. Also, make sure that the accessory drive belt is under correct tension (if the XC90 uses serpentine belt, it has automatic tensioner so the belt should be at the right tension).
It is a check that I can do by myself ? Or I need to go to some service ? I dont live in Sweden and here in my area there is only one Volvo reseller/service

Old 12-13-2008, 07:07 PM
JPN

Ask Moderator Tech to see if there was such an option for XC90s. They might have had different options in Europe, but making different power steering system is unheard of as far as I am concerned. The cause for the hard steering is probably due to low fluid, malfunction in the hydraulic power-assist system.

Yes checking for the fluid level is something you can do. Refer to the owner’s manual for the location of the power steering pump reservoir and remove the cap; the cap has level gage and if the fluid is at the correct level, it should be up to "COLD" or "HOT", depending on whether you have been driving the car prior to checking the fluid level.

If the accessory drive belt is of serpentine (which I believe it is) belt, there is nothing to adjust as there is an automatic tensioner.

Are you in Italy? If so, I would try Ferrari, Lamborghini or Alfa Romeo dealer. The latter is probably better, as the first two places may charge millions Lira/hour for labour.

JPN

Old 12-14-2008, 03:06 AM

the cap has level gage and if the fluid is at the correct level, it should be up to "COLD" or "HOT", depending on whether you have been driving the car prior to checking the fluid level.
Ok .. after the check I done I see that the gage marks "FULL-HOT". We are very close to winter now (min 3° and max 7° Celsius). What do you think about that ?

Are you in Italy? If so, I would try Ferrari, Lamborghini or Alfa Romeo dealer. The latter is probably better, as the first two places may charge millions Lira/hour for labour.
I've been an Alfa Romeo owner for the last 18 years. For the first time I choose to change .. Btw we are in EURO area now so not Liras anymore

Old 12-14-2008, 07:12 AM
JPN

As long as the fluid is around there, the system should have enough supply. Two other possible causesI can think of are:

- Tyre pressure being low.
- Something in the steering/suspension (most likely the ball joints) being faulty or lacking lubrication. Some US model XC90s have had recalls on the steering ball joints (tie-rod ends) but I believe the recall was gone after the 2006 models.

That is right, I forgot about Euro[&:].

Since the XC90 forum seems slow, try posting threads in General Volvo Chat as well.

I hope this helps.

JPN